Looks like there may just be statewide Antler Restricts.

Four Season Whitetail's

Is there a beam length that protects 1.5s only in force somewhere? I know beam length is used in some states but mostly with design to protect bucks older than 1.5 i think. Usually its a protrction of 2.5 and under. Not sure the appetite is there for that in NY with basic points AR being mixed support.

Is there a beam length that protects 1.5s only in force somewhere? I know beam length is used in some states but mostly with design to protect bucks older than 1.5 i think. Usually its a protrction of 2.5 and under. Not sure the appetite is there for that in NY with basic points AR being mixed support.

No.. unfortunately there isn't a beam length that really would protect age groups beyond 2 years... but once the 1.5 year olds have been spared you could factor in the added difficulty of shooting older and wiser deer and get better results for stretching out the age classes than an AR that doesn't protect 99% of 1.5 year olds. I agree I done see much appetite for it either.

I haven't seen anything concrete that'd protect age groups beyond 2.5 years old either.  for protection of 1.5 year olds are co-op restriction of 15" outside spread seems to be doing well from what we and other ones have seen.  I think that puts you around 18-19" for beam length.

I believe high grading does happen like with the example of MS where you've got state wide ARs for a decade or more.  it's a small amount that I think is very slightly skewed to look worse.  data is based on harvested bucks.  consequence of it's design more bucks will be harvested closer to very minimum antler size that falls within the restrictions.  where as before, more choice leading to buck harvest may have made the data look a little different.  I do think it high grading happens though.  on bigger intensively managed ranches culling smaller antlered deer works to make bigger antler averages.  always shooting the biggest antlered buck for a given age will only do the opposite.  for your average hunter chasing free range deer the concepts aren't nearly as applicable.  with long term goals in mind it's something a state should think about.

Well, No need to worry about that ADK hunting club I was looking into...1 buck a year will keep my early season dollars out of the northern zone...

Kentucky is warmer any way!  Way to push those dollars out of NY, NY!  

Well, No need to worry about that ADK hunting club I was looking into...1 buck a year will keep my early season dollars out of the northern zone...

And the irony of this post is Kentucky is a one buck state.

• Like 1

This is my problem with the obr rule as well. I spend most of my time hunting around my home in the northern zone with a 2 week vacation to sz.  With no dmps and the ending of the early archery season , opportunities to shoot a deer are getting scarce. I am usually picky with my choice of bucks to shoot anyway .I wouldn't care if the 2nd buck had to have a 15" spread and 5points /side  (it would still give me the allusion that I could shoot the next older buck that walks under my stand..lol)

I have hunted PA since antler restriction was jamed down our throats by G. Alt. The GC likes to brag that our nicer bucks are all about the AR. But what about the better habitat since deer numbers are down up North. Same with number of guys in the woods. Hunters in camps up north are at an all time low.

Why should you penalize our senior hunters by making them count points? Your only allowed one buck, by the way.

If the DEc came out and actually said what the purpose of this is and if the health of the herd would be positively impacted, they might have a better job selling it. I hate to be told what to shoot, its my tag and should be able to shoot what I want. Have hunted both states for years, so would just as soon be happy with the one buck.

I'm curious...with this winter.... especially this past Febuary...... and as I look out the window,perhaps March as wellbeing so bad... Will they reconsider? People are talking winter kill..I was not worried, but now we have more snow, ice pellets, freezing rain and another round of cold nights coming...I have some January picks and moved a cam to where deer started a path next to our barns...they are walking the road then turning up our drive to where I stopped shoveling...then turning on to a path they used during the summer through the soybeans...What a difference a month makes...that deer in the second pic is dang thin

I'm curious...with this winter.... especially this past Febuary...... and as I look out the window,perhaps March as wellbeing so bad... Will they reconsider? People are talking winter kill..I was not worried, but now we have more snow, ice pellets, freezing rain and another round of cold nights coming...I have some January picks and moved a cam to where deer started a path next to our barns...they are walking the road then turning up our drive to where I stopped shoveling...then turning on to a path they used during the summer through the soybeans...What a difference a month makes...that deer in the second pic is dang thin

I think the next 6-8 weeks is when things can go from bad to worse real fast...........bad winter followed by a late spring can really take it's toll.

I think the next 6-8 weeks is when things can go from bad to worse real fast...........bad winter followed by a late spring can really take it's toll.

Agreed, Warmer days and the nights still cold can mean a crust that is difficult for them to get through. It can also mean that they break through walking but the coyotes don't.

Your right and they have been gathering in both my drives...I think because they need a rest from the deep snow and the drives are very big...I haven't filled any of my bird feeders because I didn't want to draw them in to feed...so they are hitting the concolors and the bushes,apple and sasafrass trees...that second pic ...the trail takes them right to a group of pines they bed in...there is barely any corn stalks left in that field or the one below. I think I spooked these 2 when I went out to shovel the mail box out again and check the cam.

I'm getting a bit concerned I just got done watching three deer just off the end of the house. They don't look like they are having a fun time just moving through this unending snow. The snow is above their belly. They still look in reasonable rig as near as I can tell from 30 yards through the window. But they are not walking through the snow anymore, they are now in the hopping mode which has to be burning calories like mad.