Looks like there may just be statewide Antler Restricts.

Four Season Whitetail's

Did anyone see the new Outdoor News. Looks like change is in the air and by the sounds of it there very well could be statewide restricts. There could be a week taken off the southern zone and 2 weeks off the north gun seasons.  Antler restricts on bow only( Bowhunters will see that that does not fly) or there could be a 1 buck a season for all hunters.

I bet it will turn out to full antler restricts in most parts and 1 buck a season.  Change is a comin!

Are you just being cruel? Too good to be true. Too many entitled 'hunters' out there who like being able to shoot whatever they see for months straight. Not to mention the DEC treats deer like nuisance rats. 

I'm gonna just say this...i don't think the dec should tell me how big or how many points a deer should have for me to shoot you can't eat the rack so I don't care if it's got 2 or 20 it will taste the same to me. They tell me when and how many I can shoot fine but don't tell me I can't shot a 4 pt bc the guy down the road wants to shoot 10 pts every year bc I don't care I hunt for fun and for meat not for trophys. Sure shooting a big one is great of course but do I want to have to pass on filling my freezer just bc guy down the road wants big ones no that's not right...deer is deer no matter how big the rack is. IMO

• Like 14

Well it looks like it will go out to some kind of vote but we all know who will win that vote now a days. Its all about the bone for lots of hunters these days.  It even says the DEC is going to force this thru so its done in time for the law to be in the regulation books and that is mid summer.  They will force it through. 

I would think the majority of hunters would not be in favor of alter restrictions. 1 buck rule would be interesting and that is something I could live with but it would lead to more illegal tagging, how much I don't know. It just spins my head how 1 year you can go out and kill multiple bucks and the next they want to introduce restrictions on killing bucks. I haven't seen anything official so this just may be someones opinion. 

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. These "trophy" folks are well organized and loud.  To me it's like arguing religion and politics. I have not shot a spike or 4 point in years, but as the season winds down and my freezer is empty.... I could, easily. 

I like the fact that I can hunt from 9/27 through the week before Christmas. I live within walking distance of the western boundary and 1.5 miles of the southern boundary of the northern tier.  All I need is more land to hunt. 

I feel pretty strongly that these proposed restrictions will NOT add to my hunting experience. 

So, they want to regulate hunting right out of existence. Who really cares. People are in love with their ideas of a new regulation every day with their ARs, and their EAB, and their one-buck rules and all the variations of those restrictions and whole list of others. Every time an issue comes up the first thought in those simplistic minds is, There ought to be a law, or lets pass another regulation. One answer fits all .... lol..... more laws. Well, one glance across the desk at those copies of NYS Environmental Conservation Law books tells me that there likely is no one person, including all the enforcement agencies that know and understand all those volumes of rules and regulations governing our sport. There is something disconcerting about understanding the likelihood that every time I go hunting, I am most likely, unknowingly, violating who-knows-how-many laws buried in those books, and enforced by arbitrary opinion in most cases. So if along with a whole bunch of other reasons, people are opting out of hunting because everybody's solution to every problem is to pass another damn law, I guess I am not surprised, and probably not really all that far behind them.

• Like 1

I'm gonna just say this...i don't think the dec should tell me how big or how many points a deer should have for me to shoot you can't eat the rack so I don't care if it's got 2 or 20 it will taste the same to me. They tell me when and how many I can shoot fine but don't tell me I can't shot a 4 pt bc the guy down the road wants to shoot 10 pts every year bc I don't care I hunt for fun and for meat not for trophys. Sure shooting a big one is great of course but do I want to have to pass on filling my freezer just bc guy down the road wants big ones no that's not right...deer is deer no matter how big the rack is. IMO

Just curious if, hypothetically, you had the power to vote in a one buck rule... Would you? 

• Like 1

At this point with NY hunters barely keeping up with population control of whitetails... any restrictions that could result in less participation or decreases in hunting interest... would be counter productive. Reducing the number of buck tags and /or the length of the season will light the fuse... add in AR's and the whole thing will blow up. Everyone just needs to shut up and hunt.

• Like 14

Its says they are going to break the northern zone in half and the southern in like 4 piteces and each piece will have laws. Down in the 8's you will see 1 buck or restricts or both because they want does killed and most hunters want antlers. If the hard hit north you will see no restricts because you will see no does..

One thing is for sure,when i read it i got the point that they want this pushed fast so it hits the reg book for hunters this year. So by summer it will be decided. Which tells me they know what they are going to do and any hunter survey.......Means squat

Are you just being cruel? Too good to be true. Too many entitled 'hunters' out there who like being able to shoot whatever they see for months straight. Not to mention the DEC treats deer like nuisance rats.

I've been trying to hold out for bigger bucks lately, but maybe because of people like you & comments like that, I'll shoot the next forkie I see, just because I can. "Entitled"? You're damn right people should be entitled to shoot whatever deer they want. Everyone pays for a license, why should you be "entitled" to say how they use it? If you want to hunt for racks, good for you. Buy your own land and implement AR on it, but why should you have any say over public land or especially someone else's private land? Meat hunters are "hunters" just like the trophy guys. I'm willing to bet there's meat hunters out there who are much more skilled than you. Who's the one acting entitled?

• Like 6

Our Deer Management plan is so far behind other states it's not even funny. Even if NY does decide to do this more laws will be broken and a lot of people will be getting away with it due to the lack of ECO's out there. What is actually going on with the money in the Conservation Fund?

Who knows..Maybe they think Ny will be the next Non Resident hot spot to come take the buck of  a lifetime.  

• Like 1

Just curious - how many hunters legally take 2 4.5 or older bucks in any given year?

Hell, how many hunters kill two 2.5 or older bucks in a year?? For that matter what is the % that kill two 1 1/2?

One buck rule is pure jealousy...Statistically close to 0 actual impact on buck #s.

Imho

• Like 2

I personally think that it was time for the pendulum to swing the other way. I posted a thread about the expanded seasons, special seasons, excessive permits, expanded coyote population, and the like having a cumulative negative effect on the number and size of deer that many hunters like myself were seeing or not seeing during the regular firearms season. I knew that the present management policies that have evolved over the past few years could not be permanent and that sooner or later that many of these policies would have to be ended or changed. It is my opinion that the time has come for some sensible changes to be made. We may not all agree as to what changes should be made, but I feel many of us will support some changes if it will improve on our hunting in the future.

I personally would be fine with whatever happens. I just follow the rules and hunt. I don't shoot does. When I hunt PA it's 3 to a side. If NY goes to ARs or a 1 buck rule, I will just follow the rules and keep hunting. The last 2 years I passed smaller bucks in hopes of getting a bigger one. To me, it's like fishing, I just follow the limits and that's that. Sometimes I keep my limit, sometimes I throw them all back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

mature

Just curious - how many hunters legally take 2 4.5 or older bucks in any given year?

no idea, does DEC even keep track of the age structure of bucks being harvested aside from adult or fawn?............I'll rephrase that and just say that taking two bucks, regardless of age has got to be worse for the herd as far as letting bucks grow than taking just one.........at this point the majority of hunters who hunt the AR zones would have no problem shooting two 1.5 year bucks that just meet the criteria, and that's not the point of AR's is it?