Add a saying , phrase, or quote.

hunter49

" The Good Lord makes no stone harder than a woman's breast, and I can find no sign on it"..

Bearclaw Chris Lapp in the film " Jerimiah Johnson"...

Didn't he also say "That Panther never did get used to him" when relating a story about some trapper that holed up with a panther in a cave for the winter?

Didn't he also say "That Panther never did get used to him" when relating a story about some trapper that holed up with a panther in a cave for the winter?

Nope, WC...That was Del Gue (with an E)..

He was referring to the deceased " Hatchet Jack" out of whose frozen fingers Jerimiah pried his .50 cal Hawken...

The quote was something like... " Hatchet Jack was a wild one...He spent two winters in a cave with a female panther..She never DID get used to him"..

• Like 1

Nope, WC...That was Del Gue (with an E)..

He was referring to the deceased " Hatchet Jack" out of whose frozen fingers Jerimiah pried his .50 cal Hawken...

The quote was something like... " Hatchet Jack was a wild one...He spent two winters in a cave with a female panther..She never DID get used to him"..

You know "Liver Eating Johnson" existed in real life don't you. As did Hugh Glass, as depicted by Richard Harris in "Man in the Wilderness". A lot of the scenes in the movie were based on fact. He was left for dead after a Grizzly mauling & he did beat wolves off their kill to get his 1st real nourishment. The part about him hunting down the others was false.

Jerimiah died of old age, Hugh wasn't as fortunate.

Yup...I have read the accounts of both of them

I suspect that Robert Redford  may not have been the SEX SYMBOL draw if the movie had been titled " Liver Eating Johnson"...hehehehe..

Back in the mid '70s I got a copy of a book about Lewis & Clark from the local library. I read that & every book I could find about mountain men.

I started hunting squirrels & deer with  .36 & .50 cal percussion muzzlelaoders. Since I lived in Southern Indiana at the time, I was exposed to a lot of muzzleloader activity. In the spring/summer/early fall, one could go out most any weekend & find a shoot. We shoot for meat, powder, caps, patches, etc.

"Blanket" shoot were fun. Everyone brought a prize valued a $20 & placed it on the tabl.e (blanket) Highest score got 1st pick & so on down the line. I have split a ball on an axe blade breaking targets on either side  at2 different matches. I never was able to cut a card completely. We shot at "Q" tips charcoal on a string, tacks, etc. Also long range shots at gongs & chains in the woods. I got prettyn damned good with my .54 fullstock flintlock plains rifle. Even managed to take down 2 deer with it at a full run. (close range)

We also threw knives & tomahawks. Wifey beat me 2 X on the flint & steel fire start/light the candle timed match.