If you heat with wood...

philoshop

Started out with over ten cords. Down to about a cord and a half with much more cold weather to go. Average winter we use seven to eight cords. Also use oil and electric baseboard heat when it gets a bit warmer. Yup, this has been a cold winter so far.

I've had enough tucked under my porch and in my backroom to get me this far.  The rest is stored 100 ft out back under cover.  Not sure how I'll get it to the house : /

I use a plastic kiddie sled. Just have to be careful to stay on the packed trail. I stepped off the edge yesterday and took a good tumble. :rolleyes:

With this amount of snow I'm more worried about cutting for next winter. It doesn't look like the tractor will be in the woods until June.

• Like 3

This year is the firs time I ever had to buy firewood, I went threw 11 coards. I have burnable trees but just cannot get to them. The problem is going up hill with over 2 feet of snow on the ground and frozen soil and ice underneath.( Just bought some last week ) . Even one of the local suppliers will not go into the woods around here with his skidder. Just keeping the flame down low and using the regular heating system in the house also.

I use a plastic kiddie sled. Just have to be careful to stay on the packed trail. I stepped off the edge yesterday and took a good tumble. :rolleyes:

With this amount of snow I'm more worried about cutting for next winter. It doesn't look like the tractor will be in the woods until June.

That's funny because I use the same thing. I can't get my truck in my woods with all this snow and I felt the need to get started on next years supply, so I've been using the plastic sled to pull out the 16" cuts, 4 or 5 pieces at a time. 

Staying on the packed trail is important!  It sure is hard work, but I don't have a snowmobile.

• Like 1

I have about 3 face cords left at the house. Started out with 16+ at the house.  We do have propane back-up.   I also have about 8 face cord of hardwood and 3 FC of cut up soft wood saved for the maple season in the woods under tarps about 500 yards from the house.  (I make maple syrup for the family and extended family and friends...don't make any money at it, just do it for fun.)   But drifts in the field between the sugar shack and the house are quite deep (several over 6 feet with one cresting over 8 foot).   I am having to use snow shoes to get around.   I have an ATV but no snowmobile.  I guess I should have gotten a snowmobile   :rolleyes:   Its going to be a late sugaring season if it ever comes.   

Edited by adkbuck

Ran out of last years left overs and another cord i got in January. I get jeeploads on weekends from my BIL. Its a PIA. This summer I'm ordering 3 cords.

order early, green wood is usually a lot cheaper....or better yet, get a hold of a local tree company willing to drop off unsplit logs from local jobs, I did that last year and was getting it for $50 a cord dropped off.

Edited by jjb4900

Pellet's my friends 40lbs per day =less than $4.00 for the entire day's heat

yeah, as soon as my woodstove needs replacement that's the route I'm going.....almost made the jump this year, but as long as I don't mind lugging the wood and the stove is good, I'm gonna stick with it.

• Like 1

Harman Stoker rice coal burner thermostatically controlled I have 2 of them for about 6 years now and I wish I had them 20 years ago when I was burning wood. 

I am a coal burner and proud of it.

1 bucket of coal to the stove you burn it dump the ashes done.

1 piece of wood you cut it, you split it, you stack it and or move it, you burn it, then you dump the ash pan.

I looked at pellet stoves and did a lot of research. I Decided on a new woodstove because:

1. Need electricty to run pellet stove - power outage I'm out of luck. During 4 days of no power during Sandy my woodstove was cranking, cooked on it and heated my house.

2. Pellet stoves have too many mechanical parts to break. Woodstove has no mechanical parts

3. Still need to lug 40lb bags of pelelts around

4. Need to store the pellets in dry location and secure enough that rodents don't get in

5 If the bag of pellets get wet, they turn to sawdust. If wood gets wet uncover it and it dries.

6. I like the smell of burning wood.

• Like 4