NY Hunter Survey

mike rossi

He has been on here for months telling you how he's been campaigning to get a dove season in NYS...many many posts...So why would anyone be surprised that that survey was taken down after he read some of the replys and probably saw the survey results thus far...

so what happens to the results of a survey that someone sets up and then realizes the responses are totally the opposite of what that person had hoped for? do you still use the results even though they don't help your cause at all, or just toss it in the trash and pretend it didn't happen?

He has been on here for months telling you how he's been campaigning to get a dove season in NYS...many many posts...So why would anyone be surprised that that survey was taken down after he read some of the replys and probably saw the survey results thus far...

Has anyone ever even seen a huntable population of doves?  Cant say i have in any of my travels but then again i dont look for them. I guess they could throw the bird on the list of birds to hunt now but no extra charges should be added.  

Well lets see...if he put the survey up he can do what ever he wishes with it I suppose. I just hope someone trying to open up another hunting opportunity for all NYS hunters doesn't look at this and say why bother...or anyone else fighting for more hunting opportunities says whats the point? I don't and would never hunt dove, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like the opportunity to choose to do so...or appreciate the people working to open up that opportunity

Edited by growalot

He's probably re-writing the survey if there is a better way to frame the responses. If there is a not a no opinion/NA option, it can force hunters to select yes/no, which in many cases is not a good idea.

As to Doc's point about not seeing the value - studies are conducted on non-involved parties all of the time because value is to be had. Percpection by non-participants, opinion of non-participants, and reasons why non-participants do not participate are all valid avenues to explore...let alone the factors, influences, etc. that can sway their opinions/views/perception. There's plenty more reasons why, too. Hopefully this helps to clarify.

Doves are actually really fun to hunt. I cut my teeth on dove season in the south. The first volley of shots rang out and not a bird fell through the gauntlet and everyone laughed their butts off. I missed a time or two as well. That's my first hunting memory. We ended up with enough for a nice dinner for everyone though. Fast forward 22 years and hunting is engrained in my soul. Discounting dove hunting is shooting yourself in the foot to get new hunters involved. Every hunter who has no interest in it should support it if they care about new hunter recruitment (unless cost or becological concerns exists). Fast pace, action, fun, and communal...NY is missing the boat.

Edited by phade
  • Like 5

Where we hunt in the Hudson valley there are tons of corn fields and I always see doves while walking to the stands. Always wanted to hunt them but there is no season in NY. I also see it as a great chance to practice wing shooting. I hope Mike's hard work pays off and we get a season. I tried taking the survey but it was closed by the time I saw the link.

Why didn't he just title it "NY Dove Hunting Survey"? And didn't I see some Xbow questions?What's up with that?

If there were a lot of negative responses, why is that? Are people here against dove hunting or just the way the survey was worded?

Edited by wildcat junkie

Has anyone ever even seen a huntable population of doves?  Cant say i have in any of my travels but then again i dont look for them. I guess they could throw the bird on the list of birds to hunt now but no extra charges should be added.  

4 seasons -

You might be in a spot that lacks good habitat. 2 winters back, I had over 50 at the bird feeder daily. The wife and I were wondering how long we could survive on dove in a famine.

This winter they moved out. The local climate center called February the coldest winter on record. I have 3 or 4. I would have left if I had wings.

I have flushed hundreds at a time from harvested corn fields.

Edited by Curmudgeon

Well that was quick.  It says survey is closed.  I am guessing they were not getting answers they liked

The host (Surveymonkey) only allows up to 100 participants before it automatically closes the survey. That is, unless one wants to pay for the premium service.

Great job on the survey Mike, I like most of the results but can go with the flow.........

I see that the NY Dove Hunters are looking to do some advertising, good deal.  Lets see if we can get some funds generated here.

Is this link good?

http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/help-fund-advertising-for-ny-dove-hunting.html

4 seasons -

You might be in a spot that lacks good habitat. 2 winters back, I had over 50 at the bird feeder daily. The wife and I were wondering how long we could survive on dove in a famine.

This winter they moved out. The local climate center called February the coldest winter on record. I have 3 or 4. I would have left if I had wings.

I have flushed hundreds at a time from harvested corn fields.

I guess this is possible but if so its the only kind of critter i dont have on my property. Maybe they came and saw the 5ft of snow and left with a vow to never return!

• Like 1

The host (Surveymonkey) only allows up to 100 participants before it automatically closes the survey. That is, unless one wants to pay for the premium service.

Thank you. Plus, if we surveyed 5,000 hunters the percentages probably would not vary much, if at all... 

The survey does not make any negative or positive inference about crossbows, antler restrictions, or anything else. The purpose of the survey was to evaluate the level of truth in the claim occasionally made which asserts the NY hunting community is divided about the issue of dove hunting. The results of the survey indicate that NY hunters are not divided and most support legalizing mourning dove hunting. 

The responses to each question is in the summary and the method we used to measure level of consensus was explained. We indicated the sources we obtained information about coyote and mourning dove populations in the report. Those sources being SUNY ESF and Cornell University. This was a pretty cut and dried project, It is pretty amusing any dishonesty can be charged in this.

Others actually said we did in fact and/or we "probably" terminated the survey for disingenuous reasons. As someone else indicated, if the sample size exceeds 100 then each response costs money. The next thing someone is going to raise is that the sample size is too small. And, as I already said, even if the sample size was 5,000 instead of 100, it is unlikely the percentages would change much or at all and therefore the results and conclusion would be the same. 

That being said, any future surveys we run will indeed be related to our agenda. It serves no purpose to tell respondents the purpose of a survey, as it may introduce  bias into the results. However, it is obvious from some of the posts in this thread that some were annoyed the survey was about dove hunting, so to be  abundantly clear, even if they include seemingly unrelated questions,  our future polls will be restricted to dove hunting, pheasant stocking, hunting dogs, Sunday hunting, and possibly habitat. If those topics do not interest you, or you reject helping us, then simply don't take the surveys. 

Edited by mike rossi

Great job on the survey Mike, I like most of the results but can go with the flow.........

I see that the NY Dove Hunters are looking to do some advertising, good deal.  Lets see if we can get some funds generated here.

Is this link good?

http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/help-fund-advertising-for-ny-dove-hunting.html

Link works to the page, but the second link to contact does not, here is the contact link:

http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/contact.html

Edited by mike rossi