That's Two!

Mr VJP

This morning was cloudy with a threat of rain.  Temps about 50 degrees and a slight breeze.  I waited on my deck until it got light hoping to hear a bird I could go after.  Nothing gobbled.  It got sunny and warm by 10:00 but still no gobbling anywhere.

I decided to go to the top of the east ridge, where I've taken Tom's in the past as they cruise along late in the morning, looking for an available hen when most have gone to their nest.

I got a reply to my calls at 11:15 AM.  He was at least 400 yards away.  I called again a few minutes later and he replied from much closer.  I kept calling and he kept coming.  At 11:30 I saw him coming 80 yards out.  He was in full strut at 60 yards, but wouldn't come closer, despite my whines and clucks on the call.

At 11:40 I stopped calling.  He strutted for a few minutes, gobbling some more and putting on a great show.  After not hearing any yelps for some time, he looked confused.  I wish I had set out a decoy, but I didn't bring it.

Finally at 11:45 he made a beeline for me.  He stopped at 40 yards when he saw me in the sunlight and I let him have it with the Mossberg.  He's 21 lbs with a 10" beard and one spur that measures 1 inch, while the other one seems worn down and only 3/4 inch.

That makes two and tags me out for the season.  It's been fun and there's plenty of turkey to eat this year.

post-177-0-15708200-1430932907_thumb.jpg

• Like 8