Shorten the NY Gun Season?

sherlockgael

Should the NY Regular Gun Deer Season be shortened?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NY Regular Gun Deer Season be shortened?

• Yes-1 week
    • Yes-2 weeks
    • Yes-Staggered 1 week Nov 1 week Dec
    • No-Leave it as is

Not once the crossbow is included in archery." Wont take as much practice for the gun only guys to be able to hunt with a crossbow". They will have to change some of their tactics a bit though.

Exactly ! But how many will be willing to plop down $1500 for a quality crossbow !

You dont have to plop down more than half of that for a quality crossbow. Most people are not going to buy TAC15s lol.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not once the crossbow is included in archery." Wont take as much practice for the gun only guys to be able to hunt with a crossbow". They will have to change some of their tactics a bit though.

Exactly ! But how many will be willing to plop down $1500 for a quality crossbow !

You dont have to plop down more than half of that for a quality crossbow. Most people are not going to buy TAC15s lol.

Why not buy something that will reach out there rather than settle for a 20 - 25 yard shot !

Back to the gun hunting . Don't give the gun hunters the shaft . They deserve their time in the woods also .

Why not buy something that will reach out there rather than settle for a 20 - 25 yard shot !

Back to the gun hunting . Don't give the gun hunters the shaft . They deserve their time in the woods also .

Well, if you want to drug the deer first so it wont have the reaction speed to jump the loud 'thunk' from a crossbow, then you can take all of the 50+ yard shots you want  :P

• 2 weeks later...

I personaly feel a shorter season will not help the heard and could possible make the woods more dangerous.  The dec should be able to control population with management permits and shortening the season will just make it harder for people with limited time to hunt.  I do not think shortening the season will help anything except to limit our hunting options.  As for people who think this will get you larger antlers and help the heard, I think you are misinformed.  The big bucks are everywhere but they are smart and that is why they are still around...  Shortening the season will do nothing in my oppinion to help the heard.  With more hunters in a shorter span you are putting more pressure on the heard and more hunters together wich could possible result in more accidents,  could result in better hunting but the risk of having too many hunters hunting at one time I think is not worth the risk...  Just my oppinion, hope not to offend as this is my 1st post... 8)  Hunt hard, Hunt Safe!!!

Welcome to the site NFA.  I don't believe that there are mature bucks everywhere though.  Some places have much less cover than the ADKs and much more pressure, with an occasional 3 yr old wandering through. These places may also be over run w/does compounding the 'problem' of seeing a mature buck during the rut.  If you stalk or drive in these areas, the buck gets nailed by you or more likely, someone else after it crosses the property line.  Yes, things might be different a couple miles away with heavier cover, but everyone has their property limitations.

In western NY we already have all the hunters in the woods at the same time (opening day, and every saturday).  There are good, dedicated hunters out there that have hunted their whole lives and never taken a 3 yr old, much less a mature buck.  You could say they are not actively hunting mature bucks and they need to hunt where these bucks are, like the ADK's, but then we would agree; they aren't everywhere ;)

I am blessed to hunt a farm that is strictly managed, with other properties nearby that are strictly managed too, and we occasionally see a 4 yr old.  Trail cams and spotting scopes don't lie. 

I'm not saying we have to have a shorter season, or we have to have mature deer, just that it prob would help some squeak through, and I don't mind saying I enjoy seeing em.  I would like it to be shorter so things would calm down and we would see some movement in the late mzldr season/bow too.  It's pretty much impossible to hunt late bow on the farm here unless I hung a stand before season smack in the middle of a bedding area.  But if we do that then we can't really expect to hold deer on the property.

Not complaining, just see the reasons why it could be helpful.

You make some valid points I can not disagree on.  Because I have never hunted the far western NY area that much I can not speak from experiance.  But even area's with high presser can have mature deer in them, they are just really hard to get and sometimes they become nocturnal and make it all but imposible to get at them, add into the fact that you are limited by the area you can go makes the challenge dawnting...  My personal oppinion on helping the herd would be to start antler restrictions like in the lower DMU areas.  I think that plan has been in effect for a few years now and the hunters seem to be getting better class of deer as a result.  Thanks for the reply and best of luck to you and your hunting party this year!!!

Here in PA herd reduction has been in place for the last ten years I believe. After the first few years everybody was crying the deer were wiped out and we have to shorten rifle season or ban doe hunting. At that time I was with them on the doe hunting. Then someone explained to me that the deer were still out there you just can't hunt them the same ways you did in the past or even the same places as in the past. I changed my tactics. I started hunting suburban areas near homes (but a legal distance away) and when I hunt the mountains I go pretty far back in away from the parking lots and crowds. I pay far more attention to the active food sources now and far more attention to the wind. And I learned the deer are still here in good numbers. Rifle season doesn't need shortened and doe hunting doesn't need banned, I just needed to change my approach.

• 4 weeks later...

There are plenty of deer in most areas of New York. If you want to see big bucks on your property, you have to set your own antler restrictions. Adirondacks have a good amount of mature deer, but you really have to work to get an opportunity at one as the land is so vast. I hunt in Niagara County, and always fill my doe tags. I pass on numerous small bucks every year, and have ate my buck tag for the last 2 years because of this. We don't have a problem with deer population, we just have to let small bucks grow bigger. We should extend bow season from Oct 1st to the beginning of gun, and then from the end of gun to Jan 15th. Keeping gun the same. Just my two cents.

well since during special seasons, I carry a flint lock, yeah a primitive season as long as during the many weeks of a special archery  seasons that you propose, every one carries a recurve or long bow, I would agree.  After all a compound is not very primitive either.

My point with an extended bow season has nothing to do with primitive or compound. With a bow, hunters are not "pushing" deer through the woods, or sitting high on top of a hill over looking a wide open field waiting to take a 300 yard or further shot at an unsuspecting deer. To be successful with a bow, you must spend time getting to know the deer. Your shot is going to be from no further than 30 yds. Scent control becomes imperative. Not to mention the "cooling off" period from the end of regular season until the deer start to regain some sort of natural movement again. I'm not asking for additional tags, just for the opportunity to hunt longer into the season in order to harvest a mature whitetail. Muzzleloading is not my thing, but the same principles apply if the extended season is to include primitive muzzleloaders such as flintlocks, rather than the modern "inline rifles". You still have to be close to put a single lead projectile into the vitals of a mature deer while using iron sights.

A real muzzleloading season, or the way it is now which is basically rifle season? Might as well carry it out with you during regular season.

I take my 12 gauge out on opening day of gun season and then carry the in-line the rest of the season because it is more fun to shoot . Just my preference .

My point with an extended bow season has nothing to do with primitive or compound. With a bow, hunters are not "pushing" deer through the woods, or sitting high on top of a hill over looking a wide open field waiting to take a 300 yard or further shot at an unsuspecting deer. To be successful with a bow, you must spend time getting to know the deer. Your shot is going to be from no further than 30 yds. Scent control becomes imperative. Not to mention the "cooling off" period from the end of regular season until the deer start to regain some sort of natural movement again. I'm not asking for additional tags, just for the opportunity to hunt longer into the season in order to harvest a mature whitetail. Muzzleloading is not my thing, but the same principles apply if the extended season is to include primitive muzzleloaders such as flintlocks, rather than the modern "inline rifles". You still have to be close to put a single lead projectile into the vitals of a mature deer while using iron sights.

I read you don't ML hunt ust curious if you gun hunt or just bow hunt?

In some of the areas I hunt the intrusion of just the bow hunters in the woods alters the habits of deer.

I read you don't ML hunt ust curious if you gun hunt or just bow hunt?

In some of the areas I hunt the intrusion of just the bow hunters in the woods alters the habits of deer.

Just having your scent in a hunting area is pushing deer... most of the year the deer woods are absent of human scent.. during any hunting season that scent is increased dramatically and will also alter deer patterns... a man sitting in a treestand with a gun and a man sitting in a treestand with a bow are the same thing... if either misses a deer when he gets an opportunity that deer can be and will be alrmed just the same... if both men kill the deer the deer is dead just the same. You are assuming that gun hunters always walk and bow hunters always sit... but not true.. I know many bow hunters that walk and many more gun hunters that sit... Except for driving deer... which is usually done with guns... bow hunting and gun hunting can impose the same pressure on deer just walking in and out of the woods to your hunting spot.... many times you don't even know when you've scared off deer..

You SOB...Joe.....you stole my thunder. That is right where I was going. I remember the ol days of "just worry about you own hunting and enjoy the experience".

"just worry about you own hunting and enjoy the experience". Damn... I didn't have to use so many words... you said it with just one sentence!!  ;D

Seriously though... I don't understand all the fighting over who gets to hunt when with what weapon... all the seasons seem fine to me.. I hunt them all and in both Northern and Southern zones... I deer hunt from Sept 27th (when I have a tag) until the last day of late muzzleloader... bow season, gun season, spear season, hammer season... 1 tag, 10 tags, 100 tags who cares??? It's all deer hunting and loads of fun as far as I'm concerned!

I just thought that since you were asking for about 6 extra weeks for the fantastic bow, you might wnt to share some of the bounty.  I can tell you are nt into muzzleloading as your statement proves you know very little about them. 

300 yd shots are taken quite often during regular season with a rifle. I wasn't talking about inlines, however at 200 yds it is a very accurate weapon if sighted in 3" high at 100. I was just trying to make a point that our bow season is too short. States like Ohio have it figured out. Longer bow season, along with hunters practicing deer management and taking mature bucks, leads to a healthier herd. There are plenty of does to shoot early in the season for meat in the freezer. Bottom line is bow hunting, as a whole, is more ethical, and allows one to hunt deer in a more natural state.

I just thought that since you were asking for about 6 extra weeks for the fantastic bow, you might wnt to share some of the bounty.  I can tell you are nt into muzzleloading as your statement proves you know very little about them.

I am very familiar with muzzleloaders. I hunt with a pistol during regular season. But it seems u don't hunt with a bow. If u did, u would see quite a difference between the seasons. Deer move naturally, following summer feeding patterns during bow. If u hunt a few different spots, and one spot no more than twice in a row before giving it a rest, there is very little disturbance to the deer. Try it, you might actually enjoy patterning a buck and knowing where he is coming from, and where he is going to. However, when you have 200 gun shots within hearing distance on opening morning, I think the deer take notice. I can see I'm wasting my breath here.