Gay Marriage Protected by the 14th Amendment?

The US Supreme Court has just said Gay marriage is legal under the 14th Amendment's equal protection clause.  Because some states have legalized it, all must honor it and make it legal.  I object to this decision unless it will be applied equally to all citizen's rights in this land!!!

post-177-0-10035300-1435330844_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

As far as I understand it, Article IV of the Constitution would also apply to both cases.  If a person is married in another state, it requires the other states to recognize it.  This should also apply to open carry/concealed carry permits (ie. Reciprocal Carry).  It's the reason that your driver's license is good from one state to another from my understanding (and I may be wrong). 

If this is the case and I remember my social studies and constitutional education, I don't see why both carry laws and gay marriage shouldn't be legally recognized in states other than those that they are licensed in. 

• Like 2

In his dissent from the Supreme Court’s 5-4 decision in Obergefell v. Hodges, which declared that same-sex marriage was a right, Justice Antonin Scalia declared that this Supreme Court has become a “threat to American democracy.

“I write separately to call attention to this Court’s threat to American democracy,” Scalia said.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/scalia-court-threat-american-democracy?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cns&utm_term=facebook&utm_content=facebook&utm_campaign=n-scalia-court-threat

• Like 1

The US Supreme Court has just said Gay marriage is legal under the 14th Amendment's equal protection clause. Because some states have legalized it, all must honor it and make it legal. I object to this decision unless it will be applied equally to all citizen's rights in this land!!!

attachicon.gifCarry1.jpg

I just posted something like this on my instagram. You have concealed and open carry in over 30 states so using their logic, my right to carry in every state should be respected especially since is been in the constitution for centuries.
  • Like 1

I don't see it as a threat to democracy, but I do see it as a threat to any morals that still might be left in this society.  They can have gay sex until the cows come home for all I care, but why do I need to hear and read about it 24/7??  This decision will just give them more fuel.  Meanwhile I will be condemned if I say that I believe in old fashioned family values.   

• Like 2

Well we shouldn't be surprised at the ruling. After all the Justices are lawyers and think about the new crop of clients they just made for their brothers in divorce proceedings...lol. The divorce attorneys are all out buying big ticket items this weekend with anticipation of the new revenue stream. Economic "stimulation"?

Well we shouldn't be surprised at the ruling. After all the Justices are lawyers and think about the new crop of clients they just made for their brothers in divorce proceedings...lol. The divorce attorneys are all out buying big ticket items this weekend with anticipation of the new revenue stream. Economic "stimulation"?

No doubt.  And they probably will be getting divorced at an even greater rate than normal couples.  Look at it this way, most of these gay couples probably won't have (adopted) children to try to keep them together as is the case with many straight couples, so a bad bitch session or two between them and off to divorce lawyers they will go.

Bash away if you want. My opinion is,has always been and will be, that only a man and woman should be married. Not really gay bashing, you are who you are,I get that. There could be civil unions,got no problem with that. 

This country and world we live in these days,seems to be going to hell in a hand basket.

• Like 3

Hhhmmm my sister is a lesbian and she and her partner raised 3 kids and have been together for 30 years...own a home have careers...a time share and grand kids now. Why shouldn't they have the same legal obligations  Mr B and I have had to have for the last 36 yrs? When it came to getting college money why shouldn't they have had to combine incomes...when it came to any type of income based funds such as a sonny may mortgage...why shouldn't combined incomes be asked for?

Edited by growalot
  • Like 6

Bash away if you want. My opinion is,has always been and will be, that only a man and woman should be married. Not really gay bashing, you are who you are,I get that. There could be civil unions,got no problem with that. 

This country and world we live in these days,seems to be going to hell in a hand basket.

The thing is, unless you legally want all heterosexual couples to have "civil unions" as well as far as the government is concerned, the 14th amendment does come into play here.  What religions choose to do is separate from what the government does, and in the eyes of the government all people (are supposed to) have equal rights.  I am completely in favor of religions having the freedom to choose who they "marry".  On the other hand, I don't think that the state has a choice legally and the majority of the supreme court agrees.  It has already been decided that "separate yet equal" is unconstitutional, so both gay and straight couples legally need to have the same title. 

The thing that most people forget is that a legal "marriage" and a religious "marriage" are NOT the same thing, and you can have one without the other.  This ruling only pertains to the legal side of things, not the religious.

I have hear a lot of reasons why not to allow gay marriage.  So far every one has stemmed from one of three things:

1) Hatred

2) Fear

3) Religion

None of these are valid reasons to deny other people equal rights.

• Like 1

Yes they do.  Unfortunately they are pervasive in of both sides of the political debate, leaving those of us in the middle mainly disgusted with both parties. Don't assume I'm a democrat based on the fact I support equal rights.  I have some very unfavorable opinions with either side, because generally I support the constitution and neither party does that anymore.

Edited by BellR
  • Like 4

It doesn't matter if some judge decides it's protected by the Constitution or not. God says marriage is a union between 1 MAN & 1 WOMAN. Despite how hard the government is trying to run Christianity out of our country, not even SCOTUS supercedes God's word / law.

• Like 3

I could care less if gays are allowed to marry...why it's even an issue is beyond me, why base life on a book that may or may not be factual? but if they say one amendment should hold true throughout the country, then they all should.

• Like 2

The problem isn't that they will now allow gays to get married.  The problem is the way they allowed it.  The SCOTUS has usurped states rights, and opened Pandora's box regarding equal protection of rights.

The Constitution has been effectively nullified and we no longer subscribe to "Rule of Law".  We are now a land subordinate to political whim and "Rule of Men".

That does not bode well for the future freedom of this country's citizens.  Anyone who doesn't believe this is true, is in complete denial, or clueless.

• Like 1