What's your ideal hunt?

Borngeechee

My ideal hunt is to finally get a shot at this fella

He has been alluding me for a couple of season's now. Almost got a shot last season, but a white-out Blizzard descended on us as I was angling for a closer position.

I think I now know where I need to set-up for the coming season, provided he makes it unharmed.

post-3612-0-55165500-1436551871_thumb.jp

Edited by Papist
  • Like 2

My ideal hunt is one where I do it all myself, from start to finish, and succeed.  I don't care if it's Whitetail, Bear, Moose or Elk.  The important thing for me, is being able to do it on my own, no guide, no other hunter's help and no outside assistance.

I want to meet every challenge and obstacle head on, and overcome it.  I want to do the research, planning, scouting, equipment acquisition and set up, sighting in and practice, hunting, shooting, tracking, gutting and butchering all alone.

It is only when this is done that one can truly say they have mastered a particular hunt.  Knowing you have done everything necessary on your own, is the greatest reward in the hunting field.  And the satisfaction of knowing you can do it alone, and do it well, is the ideal.

My ideal hunt is one where I do it all myself, from start to finish, and succeed.  I don't care if it's Whitetail, Bear, Moose or Elk.  The important thing for me, is being able to do it on my own, no guide, no other hunter's help and no outside assistance.

I want to meet every challenge and obstacle head on, and overcome it.  I want to do the research, planning, scouting, equipment acquisition and set up, sighting in and practice, hunting, shooting, tracking, gutting and butchering all alone.

It is only when this is done that one can truly say they have mastered a particular hunt.  Knowing you have done everything necessary on your own, is the greatest reward in the hunting field.  And the satisfaction of knowing you can do it alone, and do it well, is the ideal.

absolutely, after my last guided hunt in Newfoundland, I said to my brother that I get more enjoyment out of hunting and killing deer back home on our own..........the adventure of travelling there, meeting the people and the scenery in general was far better then what I got from shooting the Caribou.

• Like 1

I've been dreaming of a plains game hunt, Alaskan sheep hunt and a grizzly hunt for years. I recently started a seperate savings account to try and make one of them happen.

I've been to Africa twice... Awesome hunts.... Love the place.. There is a 3rd in my future, just not sure when.... 

• Like 1

Now that's awesome. From what I've seen, it looks like it will run me about 8 to 10k including flight.

If you are looking for some of the bigger animals yes... But you will take 5 - 6 animals for that unlike here where $5,000 maybe gets you 1... There if you don't kill you don't pay basically... 

• Like 1

One word of advice, if you are dead set on going on the hunt of your dreams ( do it when you are young enough to do it ) if you can afford it. Old age will creep up on you faster then you think. I never had a desire to go to the above mentioned places, just wanted a place of my own to go and sit and listen to the little furry animals singing and jumping  from  tree to tree and watch an deer or two walk buy and some turkeys ahead or behind.And on ocasion a bear might pass by also. It is all happening lately and just happy to be here.

We once had a family friend that had a great business and loved hunting, He went all over the world and had a room full of mounts of just about any animal you could name , he once said to me most of these hunts were just being placed into a certine spot and Shooting an animal. The real hunting is deer hunting in New York with a friend or two.

One word of advice, if you are dead set on going on the hunt of your dreams ( do it when you are young enough to do it ) if you can afford it. Old age will creep up on you faster then you think. I never had a desire to go to the above mentioned places, just wanted a place of my own to go and sit and listen to the little furry animals singing and jumping  from  tree to tree and watch an deer or two walk buy and some turkeys ahead or behind.And on ocasion a bear might pass by also. It is all happening lately and just happy to be here.

We once had a family friend that had a great business and loved hunting, He went all over the world and had a room full of mounts of just about any animal you could name , he once said to me most of these hunts were just being placed into a certine spot and Shooting an animal. The real hunting is deer hunting in New York with a friend or two.

not to mention the hunt that's affordable today, may be way out of reach in 5-10 years.

I've never been, but I believe you can go to Africa twice for the cost of a Sheep or Grizzly hunt........

That was true 30 years ago...At that time you could easily do a DIY Alaska moose / caribou hunt for 2-3 K...A guided sheep or grizzly hunt ( guides are required for NR AK hunts for sheep, grizzly and goats) could be had for about 5K..

For 5K you could go to Africa, have deluxe accomodations, and shoot a whole BUNCH of unique and exotic critters..

Nowadays, a good guided AK hunt for sheep, moose or grizzly is probably going to cost you 20K door to door.

I haven't priced African hunts lately, but I'll bet you could do a pretty nice hunt there for several species for half that amount.

• Like 1

I have been on moose and bear hunts in Northern Quebec, and elk and mule deer hunts in Colorado when I was in my 20's and 30's. Now at 50, I am in better shape physically and financially than I was then but I won't go on another out of state hunt. Experiencing those places mostly made me appreciate what we have here in NY.

The elk and moose were good but our NY whitetail is way better tasting than the mule deer. The black bear hunting we have here now is also getting to be better than in those places. I have never seen anyplace out of state that had scenery that rivaled that of NY's Adirondack mountains. The "High-deserts" of Colorado just don't do it for me, nor does the marshy, swampy, wooded bush-land of Quebec. Give me the tall wooded mountains, and glistening blue lakes and rivers of NY state any day. How great it is to not have to deal with air-travel, or purchase "out-of-state" licenses.

After making me appreciate our NY hunting (and fishing) more, the best part about those other places was meeting new friends and strengthening relationships of those old ones who went on the trips with me. That, and a lot of great stories I can tell my kids, and grandkids someday, do make those out of state hunts something I will never regret. As for my ideal hunt, I had that last fall when I killed the biggest buck of my life up at my Father-in-laws new Adirondack camp. I imagine its going to be all downhill from there but I will love every minute of it. It might get better when and if I can get my pre-teen daughters to go along with me someday and they get to take a deer themselves.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I'm not a big trophy guy, never was and never will be.........nailed my woodland caribou to the shed and let the rodents have at it.......pictures serve me better than a dust collecting mount, but that's just me and am in NO way saying other's shouldn't, as I have stood in awe at some trophy rooms. I enjoy the experience around the harvest much much more.

A bison with my bow or sidelock would be my pick. I know drawing a tag from the few wild herds is a real long shot, but there's some huge ranches out west that have them. I know it might not be a tough hunt, but from what I've heard, it's an awesome experience. I don't need a big bull or anything, a cow or young bull would be fine. Any bison hunt is pricey now though, since the meat caught on and got expensive.

Edited by Skillet

Maybe a Dall sheep can be done for $20k but the other 3 you are looking at closer to $40 or even $60k plus for a stone. Unless of course you have been applying for 20 something years and get lucky to draw a tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a Dall sheep can be done for $20k but the other 3 you are looking at closer to $40 or even $60k plus for a stone. Unless of course you have been applying for 20 something years and get lucky to draw a tag

That's just ridiculous. You can do all kinds of global hunts for that kind of money.

That's just ridiculous. You can do all kinds of global hunts for that kind of money.

Yup, so for now we are in the <1 sheep club lol. Even putting in for points doesn't mean you would ever draw a tag because of point creep. I believe Tule Elk or Roosevelt Elk are really hard tags to get as well.