hunting alone

sodfather

I know it is not ideal to hunt alone but all of my buddies deer hunt and thats it. Today was a nice snow covered day so I wanted to take a walk and maybee see some rabbits or kick up a grouse but dont know anyone to call to go with me. Is anybody like this or if anyone wants to get ahold of me for a fun hunt feel free to get  in touch. I live in WNY.

I hunt alone often.  I always have.  In my younger days it was common.  I don't fear a lot of danger when I hunt.  I'm cautious when I hunt anyway and haven't reached the age where I feel my body might not be able to get me out of a jam yet.

There are lots of advantages to hunting alone.  But that should be the topic for a new thread.

Hunting alone is actually the most productive way to hunt.. especially when hunting bigger bucks... too many guys in the woods is a sure way to alert the deer in the area. I guess if you hunt from a stand then you might want guys walking around pushing deer. I have been hunting alone for about 15 years now and have taken 10 bucks that score 100-155 in those years. Before that I was lucky to see a buck..

Hunting alone is something that I have thought quite a bit about in recent years. I am of the age, and have some health history where you kind of start thinking about those things. I haven't come up with any miracle thoughts on the subject other than that I keep a fully-charged cell phone on me everytime I go out. We have a tower across the valley so I do have a line of communication back to civilization. Safety-wise, that's not a real good substitute for having someone along, but I do prefer hunting alone and if something should happen that I can't use the phone ....... oh well.  ;)  I can't be in too bad a shape. I did a fairly lengthy drag a couple times this year, and I'm still alive .... lol. ;D

However, young or old, alone or not, I do recommend carrying a phone. There may be times when cell service is not available where you are, but most of the time, it is available to get assistance if you should need it.

Another thing I do is, point out to my wife on an aerial photo exactly where I expect to be going if I am going on stand, or I outline my route if I am going to be still-hunting. I don't always stick to my original choices, but if the wind up on the hill is the same as predicted, I usually have those sorts of things pre-planned.

No, you can't operate in complete safety and have every base covered, but there are a few things you can do that might help if you find yourself in a bad situation. If those things don't work, then I guess you're probably going to have a bad day ;)  .

Doc

Hunting alone is actually the most productive way to hunt.. especially when hunting bigger bucks... too many guys in the woods is a sure way to alert the deer in the area. I guess if you hunt from a stand then you might want guys walking around pushing deer. I have been hunting alone for about 15 years now and have taken 10 bucks that score 100-155 in those years. Before that I was lucky to see a buck..

Not surprised that many trophy hunters would think this way.  With more hunters in the woods the odds of that big buck being shot by someone else are better too.  That is surely something many trophy hunters wouldn't want most of all!  LOL

I myself like hunting with a partner.  Can sure make things easier when an extra hand is needed, and it's just nicer having someone along for the 3 hour drive to get to my hunting spot among other things. 

I usually like to hunt with some one else too, but there are allways times when I go alone. I went out alone Sunday morning for Grouse with my dog and had a great time. To bad you live in WNY cause I would be happy to go small game hunting with you. I am already making plans to go Sunday morning and then the week after that a couple of more times too and hopefully I can get my pup on some birds.

Doc I do the exact same thing.

I print the wife a map of where I will park and walk in, plus I have the fully charged phone.

It gives her the peace of mind and allows me some comfort as well.

Yes, I would like to pretend that it was all my idea, but the truth is that all this now takes place at the insistance of the wife. :)  Amazingly enough the landmarks and location names that I refer to are places she is familiar with from back in the days when we both ran a trapline all over the hill and the valley. She knows exactly where all these places are that I refer to on the map. Of course there is nothing saying that I won't be off tracking a deer or if the wind is all wrong, I may make a last minute decision to move. But most of the time that doesn't happen, and if it does I have the cell phone there to call and advise of my change of plans.

i had my share of hunts i shared with myself alone... i dont mind it but it is nice to share the experience and woods with a friend or family member.

Not only that but with a hunting partner, you are a bit more free to extend your hunt farther back in because you know you got some help in dragging a deer out.

My Brother-in-law from Canada used to come down for large chunks of both the bow season and the gun season. We used to really get back in deep. We each kind of encouraged each other to get farther into places where a lot of other hunters wouldn't go. We knew that there were two of us to drag out whatever was killed. However, he got transferred to Thunder Bay and that drive is not as convenient as it was from St. Catherines. So I have been hunting on my own. I still dig myself back in quite a ways, but nothing like we used to and I still have to constantly be aware just how far of a drag I am setting myself up for.

DOC:

This is true, but i usually always have away of getting that deer out, weather i have someone who can come for assistance or if i manage to get that deer out my self. but yes that is a positive to having another person with you. i also like having someone cover another part of the woods and communicate with them via text or something to keep each other posted on deer movement and so on. its nice to know theres deer on there feet a few hundred yards away and can possibly work there way over to me.

what i like most about hunting by myself is one guy in and one guy out, (ME). i can be a little more stealthy entering and exiting the woods. and may have a better chance of seeing some deer and maybe a little less human scent in there.... but either way i dont mind hunting by myself, i enjoy it but i do like having another guy with me. you never know... always good to have a helping hand or life line...

No not a serial killer and deer hunt alone but when rabbit hunting or duck or bird hunting alone sucks. I was stomping on brush piles but when I flushed out the rabbit I couldnt get my gun up, small game is just better with someone else. I live in Lancaster, look me up next year I would be down.

Not surprised that many trophy hunters would think this way.  With more hunters in the woods the odds of that big buck being shot by someone else are better too.  That is surely something many trophy hunters wouldn't want most of all!  LOL

I myself like hunting with a partner.  Can sure make things easier when an extra hand is needed, and it's just nicer having someone along for the 3 hour drive to get to my hunting spot among other things.

I am just a guy that likes hunting bigger bucks, ... I just don't get a charge out of shooting small bucks... plus I hunt alone when hunting does (for meat) as well, does that mean I'm a trophy meat hunter?  :P ...  If you enjoy hunting with a buddy thats great! But I find it hard to track deer or still hunt with a buddy. If I do hunt "with" a buddy (which I do on occasions during bow season) it is usually without a weapon and with a camera to film his hunt. When I get a nice buck and need help, I can always call a buddy to come help..that's never been an issue. By the way, I travel with friends to hunt all the time.. we just don't hunt "together" when we get where we're going.. we go in different directions miles apart and hunt alone, then meet up at dark back at the vehicle. I always get a kick out of being called a trophy hunter like it's a bad thing... :D

I am just a guy that likes hunting bigger bucks, ... I just don't get a charge out of shooting small bucks... plus I hunt alone when hunting does (for meat) as well, does that mean I'm a trophy meat hunter?  :P ...  If you enjoy hunting with a buddy thats great! But I find it hard to track deer or still hunt with a buddy. If I do hunt "with" a buddy (which I do on occasions during bow season) it is usually without a weapon and with a camera to film his hunt. When I get a nice buck and need help, I can always call a buddy to come help..that's never been an issue. By the way, I travel with friends to hunt all the time.. we just don't hunt "together" when we get where we're going.. we go in different directions miles apart and hunt alone, then meet up at dark back at the vehicle. I always get a kick out of being called a trophy hunter like it's a bad thing... :D

I have hunted for 30 + years now and have had the opportunity to hunt a number of places in the US and Canada over the years.  Without a doubt in my mind those who consider themselves trophy hunters are by far the most selfish hunters I have encountered.  Many of them would surely prefer NO one hunts around them so that any trophy animals are left for them alone.  I have found that those who hunt for the comradery and for the simple pleasures hunting can provide to be the ones I prefer to associate myself with.  This has been my experience anyway.

I enjoy both alone and with friends and family. I really enjoy deer hunting with my brothers, Dad, cousin and uncles. We do not hunt next to each other but in the same area. We will drive together or meet up and set plans and head to separate watches. Then meet and have a bite and shoot the sheet and more hunting... It is great to be together when one of us gets a deer and everyone is there to help and share in the experience. I also love to go alone it gives me more freedom in my decisions and the time to really enjoy the peace.

It is the same with small game with me. I love to go with company but if no one else can go I am not staying home! I have not done a lot in recent years but my son and daughter are getting older and that is the best company.

I have never been in the least scared about getting lost. I always carry a small safety kit and a cell. I am pretty confident I can handle most situations. Now if I get mauled by a bear or have a widowmaker drop on my head what can you do? Freak things that could happen I can not worry about.

Key thing is make sure someone knows where you are, or at least where you started/parked. That is key info for search and rescue.

I don't get lost either...but there was one time I was on some sinus meds & went hunting anyway. I was hunting in an area I was unfamiliar with...which wasn't smart without a clear head. Heck, I probably shouldn't have been in the woods.

Regardless, I can remember getting turned around and for a few moments wondered what I had gotten myself into. So, I called the wife (on that trusty cell phone I carry) and started telling her how I had gotten myself turned around...it was overcast & I had no idea where the sun was.

She laughed at me, saying..."Well what the heck are you calling me for? I'm busy cooking!...Try calling a Ranger" <click>

As I hung up the phone, cursing her, it finally dawned on me that I could easily find my way and I ended up laughing at myself as I cleared the next hill and saw my car. Duh!

It's been years & she still breaks my stones about it.

I think it depends on what you're hunting and who you're hunting with.  It may be easier to shoot a large buck when hunting alone, but I'd pass that up for some quality time in the woods with my dad.

Hear hear! I agree. The memories created with loved ones and friends in the woods (seeing things together is much more fun than trying to describe it when you saw it alone!) are more valuable to me than antlers are.

My favorite memories are the ones where we see critters other than our target species too. :)

My dad started me hunting when I was eight. Of course he mentored me but we where small game hunting and never too far from the old car (hunt'n car that is.We couldn't afford anything else.) I once got turned around on an overcast day and was contemplating how and where I would spend the night. I was considering the old three shot help signal but I only had four rounds with me and I might need them to get some game to survive! Lots of things go through a nine  year olds mind when faced with a survival situation!It started to get dark and a few minutes later my dad comes up behind me and says," How long you gonna stay out there?". I hurried over to him and he was standing on the dirt road we drove in on! I was never so glad to be 'rescued' but never said anything to detract from my fledgling 'woodsmans' persona.

I learned a big lesson that day and started to carry a compass and pay closer attention to where I was and how to get back!

These days I'm alone in the woods but carry a phone for a semi-false sense of security. But I know if I ever really need it, technology might fail me and the only real way to come home with a 'hunt'n story' is to be self reliant and be confident in myself and my abilities.