Best spot for bow hunting?

bill.cooley2007

Phade! Thanks so much. Me being newer to hunting, I never realized how much potential this property has. I cant wait till im out there with my bow now. I have alot of scouting to do, and definitely picking up some extra trail cams. I'll be out Friday walking that creek. You have no idea how much I appreciate you taking the time to write that up. Maybe you'll be getting some venison in the mail this October! haha

No problem. The others hunting it and those hunting around it are a factor we cant consider so some of this may be off because deer might be responding to the pressure as moog pointed out. In a perfect world, id hope like heck people dont hunt that creek area and you have a honey hole there.

I am just breaking chops. I agree that it lays out well. Once the corn is cut, he can probably sit in the middle of that hedgerow and cover the edges of the entire back field in gun.

And if he doesnt, he has beef behind it, lol. Kidding of course.

If I could add one thing the "summer scouting" list, it would be to observe first hand before you go tromping through an area to randomly hang cams.

You got a good chunk of land there for observation if you can slip off a few nights after dinner to just watch how things unfold in those fields from afar RIGHT NOW!

Grab the binos, some skeeter spray, and anything else that makes you feel comfortable and just pay attention to where they are entering and leaving the open spaces in front of you.

That's all subject to change over the next two months or so, but since we went to the October 1'st opener now, there's always hope you can nail a target buck by back tracking his summer patterns early in the season.

I'm not gonna get into dissecting your map any further than saying I'd be concentrating on that BIG GREEN area right now to learn how he dots connect from there.

• Like 3

If I could add one thing the "summer scouting" list, it would be to observe first hand before you go tromping through an area to randomly hang cams.

You got a good chunk of land there for observation if you can slip off a few nights after dinner to just watch how things unfold in those fields from afar RIGHT NOW!

Grab the binos, some skeeter spray, and anything else that makes you feel comfortable and just pay attention to where they are entering and leaving the open spaces in front of you.

That's all subject to change over the next two months or so, but since we went to the October 1'st opener now, there's always hope you can nail a target buck by back tracking his summer patterns early in the season.

I'm not gonna get into dissecting your map any further than saying I'd be concentrating on that BIG GREEN area right now to learn how he dots connect from there.

While I whole-heartedly agree on glassing and its benefits, I disagree a bit on this in his situation. He should go in now, make one foray, make it count on the scouting and intel, set his cams, and get out.

His fields other than the fenced cattle lot, are corn. Unless lanes are open enough to glass, he isn't seeing much of anything in the fields with corn being 5ft tall now. Corn is a blessing and a curse.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I'm going to single out location F of Phades in depth stand outline. I'm not sure if it's just a mowed field or if it's a tall grassy area just to the north of it. But often times deer and more importantly bucks will use this as a comfort zone if the grass is tall enough. By tall enough I mean above waist high. It could almost act as staging area to certain extent. Deer will feel comfortable passing through it and hanging out there. Again, if it's tall grass. If it's short mowed grass, could still pan out as a higher paced transition area as Phade mentioned. Looks like a nice spot, good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by chiefbkt

When I first looked at the map I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't the piece of land I'm watching,lol

You are spot on, corn is tough to "observe" as I suggested.

I missed that part that the entire field section was corn and filled in the blanks with my own property layout that offers some good opportunities to view around the boarders.

​Some really good advice here. Is the top of the map North I'm assuming? Also is the creek bed relatively flat or is there a good ravine as well. If so, look for a crossing where the terrain is flatter and they don't have to cross the ravine. Ideally it would be where the ditch hedgerow between the corn ends on the east side just before the creek. That would be my #1 spot.

Edited by nybuckboy

make noise make noise , act like the farmer out there working while scouting ,, sure the deer will see and hear you but they wont go on alert .. oh its just that crazy farmer working again ,, back to eating or sleeping , but they got one eye on you too , just watching ,...

from Archery Talk ...  50 yrs of hunting ..

"it's going to rain in the morning so joe is going to put his stand up today.
he is going to the woods ,making noise and talking all the time.he doesn't want to sneak in and spook the deer at this time.they will hear/see him,but he's no threat now.
he can't go on the trail the buck used or really get near it. but there's a spot joe needs to find.this spot will be easy to find if joe knows what he is looking for.
he really needs to look for two,or three things that will cover the most in this spot.
first he really doesn't need a stand very far from the edge(too small of a woods) his entry and exit will play a major part here.
he also needs to know at some point that buck will use a different trail for the rut purpose
that faint trail will be appx 20 yrds. inside the woods edge from end to end. he will use that trail to spot check the does entering the woods from their feeding. he will walk parallel to the field,just inside the woods. now if joe is lucky here he can place his stand on the down wind side of the bucks trail to the field(he hasn't changed his summer/fall feeding pattern yet) and still be close enough to the (rut) trail.

joe can use any stand ,but it must be high enough and his back ground must be brushy,so he isn't sky lined.
he also must clear his path and not cut too many limbs for shooting lanes. he can't leave the cut limbs laying around and try very hard not to disturb the ground around his tree.
now will all of this help joe get his buck?

lets look at his position now. he can get to his stand early without leaving too much of a scent trail-he can get in quietly and he is in a brushy tree with back ground cover. the rain will wash away today's scent. now joe has to wait for the right wind ,so he can go to the stand with the wind to his face and it's blowing back out in the field where joe just come from. he hasn't stunk up his woods ,he has minimum disturbance to the deer,and he's one step closer to getting his buck!
now joe can only use that stand in the right wind and he can't use it every day.remember we want him to get the very highest percentages he can get. now joe can go to his other stand that we'll help him with ,later on."

to read the full thread ,, http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2451090

Thank you guys. The area above F is tall grass, I went yesterday scouting after I got out of work at 6. I know a little late, but i saw a doe just calmly walking between the hedgerow and into the north cornfield. I also went up to F and saw 2 doe take off. It was nice to see them moving a few hours before sunset. I'll be walking that creek tomorrow. The creek has a decent ravine. But there's also a snowmobile bridge going over it. But I think the boards are too spaced out for deer to walk over it comfortably. I've talked to the land owner and he has said they neighbors would be fine with me going to retrieve a deer on their property, just give them a call before I go over there. I forgot to mention which I think will be a nice hotspot for traveling. The new picture I posted, there is a flat trail for the tractor to go field to field I highlighted in green. I set up a trail cam there yesterday. Good spot for a blind?

post-5429-0-85112800-1438262011_thumb.jp

• Like 1

The worst part is when they come in and bed down just out of range...then I have to sit there and wait a very long time...only to have them stand stretch and walk the other way :umbrage:

oh don't we all know the feeling

Sorry, but I just about lost it LOL in my office on that one.

I am not a fan of sanctuaries unless you own enough ground where you never once say "I wish I could hunt in my sanctuary."

I've only met a few people with that much land here in NY. This isn't the kind of acreage where that seems plausible. The whole area is nothing but funnels and bedding, anyway.

Maybe you stay out of areas until timing and conditions are right, but that's not a sanctuary. I encourage new hunters to hunt beds right off the bat in their "career." Make mistakes, learn from the experiences. Not learning how to bed hunt or the importance of buck bedding and what actually goes on in that process is probably the #1 thing that will result in a much fuller wall when all else is equal.

I'm with you on the land aspect, but chances are no matter how small your land, they will leave their beds for food. Is it ok to poke in a few times a year very quietly when the conditions are perfect? Sure, but I just don't advise hanging a stand in there. The approach alone will ruin it, and a lot of newer hunters will see the sign. their eyes will get big with excitement and they will over hunt it.

Might I add too, that it's fun to debate hunting on this site instead of politics?

Phade! Thanks so much. Me being newer to hunting, I never realized how much potential this property has. I cant wait till im out there with my bow now. I have alot of scouting to do, and definitely picking up some extra trail cams. I'll be out Friday walking that creek. You have no idea how much I appreciate you taking the time to write that up. Maybe you'll be getting some venison in the mail this October! haha

Potential is the big word here, and i'm not trying to be a debby downer. The most ideal perfect land can be void of deer if your neighbors or previous hunters were pounding them. Good luck!

Edited by Belo

oh don't we all know the feeling

I'm with you on the land aspect, but chances are no matter how small your land, they will leave their beds for food. Is it ok to poke in a few times a year very quietly when the conditions are perfect? Sure, but I just don't advise hanging a stand in there. The approach alone will ruin it, and a lot of newer hunters will see the sign. their eyes will get big with excitement and they will over hunt it.

Might I add too, that it's fun to debate hunting on this site instead of politics?

Potential is the big word here, and i'm not trying to be a debby downer. The most ideal perfect land can be void of deer if your neighbors or previous hunters were pounding them. Good luck!

I understand your POV, but I think he should charge in full steam. Who cares if he over-hunts it? He is going to, no matter what. He's going to make mistakes. He's a new hunter. People learn from mistakes. If you never get into that situation, you'll never learn. Life is 10% education, 20% exposure, and 70% experience. Hunting is no different.

Being comfortable with mistakes is a long-term growth strategy. Being fearful of mistakes is a short term finger in the dike.

• Like 1

Thank you guys. The area above F is tall grass, I went yesterday scouting after I got out of work at 6. I know a little late, but i saw a doe just calmly walking between the hedgerow and into the north cornfield. I also went up to F and saw 2 doe take off. It was nice to see them moving a few hours before sunset. I'll be walking that creek tomorrow. The creek has a decent ravine. But there's also a snowmobile bridge going over it. But I think the boards are too spaced out for deer to walk over it comfortably. I've talked to the land owner and he has said they neighbors would be fine with me going to retrieve a deer on their property, just give them a call before I go over there. I forgot to mention which I think will be a nice hotspot for traveling. The new picture I posted, there is a flat trail for the tractor to go field to field I highlighted in green. I set up a trail cam there yesterday. Good spot for a blind?

Nice job. Can you get a topo map and overlay it? The topo will help since there are elevation changes with the creek. That changes some of the feedback I and others would offer.

Let the cam soak where it is. You'll get some deer traffic, but look for more subtle places where they might cross the ditch/hedgerow, too.

Consider setting the cam where you saw the single doe walking the hedgerow. Angle the cam down the lane a bit so it is not perpendicular with the corn. This will give you some potential to establish a pattern of travel (to and from and what times).

depending on how the great the elevation change is, the leeward side of the hill going down to the creek should be a good travel route, especially in the morning with the predominant wind blowing over the hill and the thermals rising from the leeward side.  Big bonus, its also a funnel with the creek there. 

about where phade put the "j"

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

I really like these 2 locations and would bet one if not both of them would pay off.  Knowing the surrounding hunting pressure would be nice.  But, after a couple years you will be able to adjust to that.  Being close to the lake I am assuming these are the prevailing wind directions. 

post-1506-0-98720000-1438280654_thumb.pn

Yes I believe that is the prevailing wind. I like F and that's actually where I shot my doe last year. I knew deer would pop up directly across the field towards the creek and walk straight to me. I'm guessing it will be different this year with the corn. It seems like the hardest spot to get to quietly so I didn't like hunting it much.

BD677D1D-B3DC-4B82-889E-181AAA29D21E.jpg

A few places I would consider based on this arial assuming w-sw predominant wind. Boots on the ground are also key. Good luck

because I'm lazy and late to the party i'll steal moogs map.  I can see the deer mostly staying high above the creek along the corn edges and going down below much.  walk the creek and see if there's an obvious low spot or two with deer track crossing it.  put up a camera to see when they're using it.  probably only at night crossing the road from adjacent properties.  I'd access using the creek for evening hunts.  I'd come in from the creek and hunt the dot between two corn fields and the creek.  earlier in the season.  later once chasing starts I'd hunt the other side between the two corn fields and the pasture which is at the fringes of bedding in the mornings early, with a wind from anything south.  come in along the woods and pasture though from the north.  I wouldn't access and hunt this side in the evening as bedding is probably all along that western wood hillside.  they'll watch you walk and climb into your stand.  I'd put up a cam at the south end of the one corn field it'll be dead or hot, especially after some of that corn field is cut.

some would hunt a trail coming into the west edge of the corn fields in the evening, but that side will be littered with bedding.  also doe will come in first, pass by you get downwind out in the corn and freak out.  a buck usually being the last to the party might not even show then until dark if he hears all that.  I've tried to hunt this way even with marginal wind.  it's tough and you usually get busted.  heck I've had doe run right back past me and to where they came from back in the cover.  I wouldn't do it.

• Like 1

some would hunt a trail coming into the west edge of the corn fields in the evening, but that side will be littered with bedding.  also doe will come in first, pass by you get downwind out in the corn and freak out.  a buck usually being the last to the party might not even show then until dark if he hears all that.  I've tried to hunt this way even with marginal wind.  it's tough and you usually get busted.  heck I've had doe run right back past me and to where they came from back in the cover.  I wouldn't do it.

Hunt on the high side of the saddles there leading up into the hedge row and the other creek by the cattle fencing. Chances are they're poking out on either side of the hedgerow/ditch. Find which side and hunt on the saddle above it on the good wind side. The topo clearly points out this is happening and just reinforces some of the locations.

The tough part is as you say, there is going to be some bedding there, but I actually think they might also bed higher in the elevation because it's on the leeward side. Down along the corn doesn't give visibility where they can see but cannot smell.

Higher in the elevation, they can look down into the are they can't smell.