can you imagine not following up a shot on this deer.

Culvercreek hunt club

Doc, what's a Texas heart shot?

It's a shot where the bullet/slug is heading for the heart via the poop-chute.....lol. This guy made that shot almost perfect, and all the bleeding was internal, and almost no meat lost at all (That's a pretty rare result for that kind of shot). It's one of those shots that guys get tempted into when "jump-shooting" deer. Not much excuse for that kind of shot, but some guys just don't care.

thats crazy Doc... cant believe the guy just left without any real tracking.

Go to huntingnet.com  and go into the bow section.

there are great writeups on "after the shot".

How long to wait.  how to track.

how not to jump the deer.

these guys wait 4 hours or more.

their motto,  wait it out, a dead deer can't go anywhere, but a bleeding deer can run for miles.

Awesome 8 point!

A buddy of mine shot a monster 10 during bow watched him go down. The buck panted for a while and then got up and went into some thick stuff. He tracked that buck a bit after the kill, then backed out till the next day and got help to look for it. They looked and looked and lost the trail as the blood dried up. It was dry ground btw.

Then about a month later, while rifle hunting in the same area, they found him. So it wasn't from a lack of trying, just lost the trail and couldn't find him.

Could be that something similar happened in this case. You just never know. Nevertheless, for NY, it's a great 8. Congrats on finding it and for sharing the story with us....

Doc, what's a Texas heart shot?

It's a shot where the bullet/slug is heading for the heart via the poop-chute.....lol. This guy made that shot almost perfect, and all the bleeding was internal, and almost no meat lost at all (That's a pretty rare result for that kind of shot). It's one of those shots that guys get tempted into when "jump-shooting" deer. Not much excuse for that kind of shot, but some guys just don't care.

thats crazy Doc... cant believe the guy just left without any real tracking.

I'll never actually figure out what was going through this guy's head, but there is just one example of how some guys have little interest in following up on a deer that doesn't fall right down in sight after the shot. It's a shame, but it happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't this where someone says "We need to make not following up on your shot, illegal." ? :)

I was thinking more like shooting at deer illegal, then we would never loose one  :D  :D  I found a 9 point with a 10 in drop tine one time that was shot through both lungs. I found the trail in the snow and turned around and there it was laying there. I back tracked it to where it was hit, lots of hair on top of the snow. I then walked in the direction I thought the bullet came from and found where the guy was standing against a tree. He never even went over to see if he had even hit the deer. It maybe went 60 yrds into the brush from where he shot it. Still got that one hanging in the rafters in my basement would have made a nice mount if he looked for it.

It was heart breaking, I watched him all summer, stalked within 50 yrds of him during bow twice without being able to get closer to make a shot with the recurve I hunted with then and watched him on numerous other occasions. He was a little bit careless for a young stud and I guess it was only a matter of time before someone blasted him. It happens I guess, Ive seen enough sensless crap while hunting over the yrs that I just expect it anymore.

Well a lot of hunters don't follow up on a shot figuring they missed. I've also seen a hunter shoot at a monster hit it and go in the completely different direction to track it then the direction the deer went (i guess buck fever was the driving factor) yes it is a shame the hunter that shot this deer didn't recover it. As for the snow.. i once shot a great 8pt 24 in inside spread that i knew i had to have hit. but when i got to where i shot there was no blood i mean no blood at all! I had lots of snow 2' plus and it was early so i decided to track it...i caught up to it 200 yards later almost dead standing with its head down. and finished it with a second shot. The fact was it was bleeding the entire time.. hot blood drops dropping right threw the powdery snow laying almost 1' below the surface.( i found this out when i went back to look for my knife that i forgot in all my excitement a day later, the snow had melted down and it revieled a pink path 5 yrds wide from point of impact to where i had caught up with it.) So maybe this guy looked and figured he missed it not knowing the true outcome. I think stuff like this happens and there are not a lot of slob hunters out there as we sometime think.