DMP cutback?

Steuben Jerry

So in my area (8T) where just a few years ago they were giving out doe permits like candy, the DEC in their infinite wisdom has made our area a ""PP required" area. So no doe permits at all unless you have preference points. We don't have a lot of bruiser bucks running traditionally or this year on camera, so between not taking a juvenile buck and not being able to take a doe during rifle, I'll be doing a lot of hard hunting and not be allowed to fall back on a doe for the freezer.

Seems extreme to go from giving out three DMP's a few short years ago to shutting it down this year.

Trail cam results for me are 10 does on camera for every buck. I was out brush hogging the other evening and saw five different does in a half hour.

I'm at a loss to figure out what their objective is. Neighboring units have no such limitations.

The whole DMP thing really confuses the snot out of me. Personally I don't think the dec knows what the duck their foing. It appears they are constantly changing things... Too extremes....which thereby suggests they are clueless.

I didn't get a DMP for 4-O but I can take a doe with my bow or MZ......ok. If I only hunted gun than no doe.....but next year with 3 pp.....I will assume I get selected for a DMP and I can still take a doe with bow or MZ.

Now in PA, I get a buck tag.... And maybe a doe tag.. Regardless of implement used. Cut and dry. Healthy herd.

This is typical.  There were a few years down to camp where they gave out doe permits like candy and sometimes you would even get one in the mail later on.  I remember specifically between 3 camps we had over 60 doe permits, the following year it was PP only.  Figure that one out and this is in one of the largest WMU in the state, if we had 60 in 3 camps how many were actually given out that year, then the following year you couldnt get one cause they gave so many out no one had a PP that hunted there. 

Edited by wdswtr

You need to remember a wmu is large, though you may be swamped in doe the rest of the wmu is not... at least that's the theory behind it, their swag on deer numbers is a joke, they need mandatory deer checks, (yes that means more staff and stops by dec officers at camps.. but it's the only way to het a true grasp on deer numbers and wmu sizes, I remember when 9m and 9w were 1 unit, which I loved as I hunted both when it split I had to pick one area for my doe tag.

I'm in exactly the same boat.

My area, 4O is the same way.  PP required and in the antler restriction area.  Just across the street is 4F (where I do not have permission to hunt) with doe permit chances rated "high" for first choice and no antler restriction.  Go figure.

I know the DEC has to chop up areas in some sort of logical and easily identifiable fashion, but sometimes it makes little sense deer/habitat wise.  4O runs from Stamford in the north of Delaware county down to hancock in the South generally along the west side of the West branch of the Delaware river.  Our herd up here is way different than that down there.

As one who got a late start in life, I have a sore spot for the way the antler point restriction works.  Anyone between 12-16, junior hunters, are not subject to the rule and I understand that.  It should help hunter recruitment.

But for me, who has never shot a buck in my life, I feel its harsh.  A person should not be restricted in their first buck, most on this site got theirs before antler restrictions and if truth be told was probably less than 6 points, or at least less than 3 points on one side.

With todays computer licensing system and reporting, I feel anyone should be able to take a legal 1 point greater than 3" buck if it is their first buck of their life, and then the rule should apply.

And please don't say it wont work because people will just not report their first non antler restriction buck.  If someone is not going to report their first buck, they are probably not going to report other bucks.  Point is a rule is only as good as the people who follow it, many never report any bucks.  But at least give a guy a chance to take the first buck of his life!!

I'm going on because I am facing another season of why bother going out during rifle season?  No qualifying bucks around (the antler point restriction theory is not working to produce bigger bucks here) and I can't shoot a doe without a permit.

Perhaps, I should have started another thread and just agreed with the initial post on this one.  If you read and understood this, thank you.

Edited by Jaeger
  • Like 2

First the DEC can’t manage the deer herd just in your little piece of deer heaven they have to try to manage the whole unit. I hunt 9p and I need pp to get a dmp so I get a dmp maybe every other year. I hunt the Livingston County part of 9p, there is a lot of farming in that part of the unit so I see lots of does. I know the farther south you go the less deer there are. There is also less farming. To the guy who said there should be a lottery to get dmp's what think we do when we ask for what zone we want for are dmp’s
One more thing just because there are not bucks there that you would shoot. Don’t say there are no bucks to shoot you just choose not to the bucks that are there. Your choice.

Edited by Larry

I concur I hunt 8w mostly but I have hunted 8t. If a first doe tag for 8w is medium then it should be the same for 8t because deer populations seem similar. In fact 8t seems to have more deer, at least in areas away from public areas. I also hunt 8r and they give everyone who wants 4 doe tags and it's not enough because it lacks hunting access.