Broadhead for Crossbow

Uptown Redneck

G5 Montec are great all around fixed broadheads, vertical bow or Xbow! Very durable, easily resharpened and there's  no doubt about what happens when you hit your targeted game! If you're thinking about a mechanical BH, I used the one suggest & sold by my Xbow mfger, since it was my 1st experience with mechanicals - NAP SpitFire. Had no pre-mature deployments while target shooting or while in the woods.

No offence folks, but if you're looking for time tested reviews about anything regarding Xbows, this forum is not the place. Couple of really great Xbow forums out there that have US wide membership and decades of Xbow hunting experience. Yeah, I'm guilty of offering advice with little experience to back it up!

I'm shooting Thunderhead 125gr 3 blades out of my Excalibur. My gf is shooting the same out of her 10 point. The Boltcutters are nice, but the Thunderheads are only 25gr lighter, & we got the packs of 5 on sale for $35. Way cheaper & they've never let me down.

I'm shooting Thunderhead 125gr 3 blades out of my Excalibur. My gf is shooting the same out of her 10 point. The Boltcutters are nice, but the Thunderheads are only 25gr lighter, & we got the packs of 5 on sale for $35. Way cheaper & they've never let me down.

Always had good luck and I used them for years.  Only reason I moved away from them was I wanted the cut on contact and I got burned one year and couldn't find replacement blades. Of course it was my fault for waiting until the last minute.

Are normal rages, crossbow rated?

One of the bow shop guys at Field & Stream told me the regular Rages can open up in flight from a crossbow. I read online that some guys put an extra rubber band (the size a dentist would use on braces) on the broadhead to prevent this. No thanks, I'll stick with fixed blades.

• Like 1

One of the bow shop guys at Field & Stream told me the regular Rages can open up in flight from a crossbow. I read online that some guys put an extra rubber band (the size a dentist would use on braces) on the broadhead to prevent this. No thanks, I'll stick with fixed blades.

I heard the same, was wondering if they had some crossbow rated ones. Thinking though, some Compounds are as fast and NY legal crossbows.

I heard the same, was wondering if they had some crossbow rated ones. Thinking though, some Compounds are as fast and NY legal crossbows.

They do make a crossbow version.

Great point about the speeds, I never thought of that. I know a crossbow has more kinetic energy, but would that contribute to the blades opening mid - flight?

Edited by Skillet

They do make a crossbow version.

Great point about the speeds, I never thought of that. I know a crossbow has more kinetic energy, but would that contribute to the blades opening mid - flight?

i would t think so. If anything the heavier bolt of a crossbow would take off softer that a lighter compound set up. In flight speed is speed. I can see a difference at Impact but at that point deployment is what you want. Lol. If they are more expensive I would be curious if here was a difference of just hype to charge more
  • Like 1

Modern compound bows vs compound type crossbows 101. 

The baseline is that modern compound bows and compound crossbows achieve somewhat similar speed and impact energy, fps & Ke. Relatively speaking!! Mainly speaking about the modern, most popular compound type of Xbow. The recurve and reverse draw Xbows have different performance characteristics due to their designs.

Modern compound bows are somewhere in the 75% efficiency range. Mainly due to their longer limbs and power stroke (draw length). Compound Xbows are somewhere in ~1/3 that efficiency range, As you'd imagine due to super short limb design and meager 12-14" powerstroke. Lots of physics and calculus involved, which I won't pretend I remember. In Physics for Dummies...look at the input, differences in draw weight compared to the output or work performed (fps/Ke).

As impressive as a ~200# draw weight is, about 2/3 of that is dissipated back onto the mechanisms of the Xbow and the bolt upon release through vibrations. Meaning...not all mechanical BHs will withstand this shock w/o prematurely deploying.  Do your due diligence in researching mechanical BHs used for Xbows and from sources (forums &/or mfgers) that have much more experience than we have here in NYS.

Modern compound bows vs compound type crossbows 101. 

The baseline is that modern compound bows and compound crossbows achieve somewhat similar speed and impact energy, fps & Ke. Relatively speaking!! Mainly speaking about the modern, most popular compound type of Xbow. The recurve and reverse draw Xbows have different performance characteristics due to their designs.

Modern compound bows are somewhere in the 75% efficiency range. Mainly due to their longer limbs and power stroke (draw length). Compound Xbows are somewhere in ~1/3 that efficiency range, As you'd imagine due to super short limb design and meager 12-14" powerstroke. Lots of physics and calculus involved, which I won't pretend I remember. In Physics for Dummies...look at the input, differences in draw weight compared to the output or work performed (fps/Ke).

As impressive as a ~200# draw weight is, about 2/3 of that is dissipated back onto the mechanisms of the Xbow and the bolt upon release through vibrations. Meaning...not all mechanical BHs will withstand this shock w/o prematurely deploying.  Do your due diligence in researching mechanical BHs used for Xbows and from sources (forums &/or mfgers) that have much more experience than we have here in NYS.

or shoot a one piece, cut on contact broadhead and not have to worry about it...lol

• Like 1

or shoot a one piece, cut on contact broadhead and not have to worry about it...lol

I shot thunderheads and muzzy and toxic out of my xbow and none where field point accurate.

Found schwacker and i was sold. Muzzy were next in line with a few clicks out to 40.

Oddly enough the others shoot ok out of my compound so not a waste

Yes, they are the most dependable! Takes a lot of doubt out of the equation!

Used fixed blade BHs with my compound bows for decades. Always thought about trying mechanical BHs, so when I got Xbow - thought WTH!!