2015 RUT

WingNut

Oct 20th till end of deer season is a great time to be in the woods and a doe in heat could get the bucks stirred up at anytime.

But.....

I seem to see the most buck movement between Oct 26th and Nov 20th.  4years ago I saw a half dozen mature bucks 'locked down' on a doe,..... on Oct 27th.  She must have been the only hot doe around that day and I was lucky enough to witness the action. 6 shooter bucks all in one clump of willow brush. If I was hunting just over the ridge that day I would have thought there were no deer around. That's the rut.

Two years ago the bucks were really cruizin' in my area around Oct 31st, even though it was warm out. Then last year I didn't see a lot of action in my area until Nov 14th and it really picked up fast and I had several mature buck sightings the last 2 days of bow season.   

Picking the right days to take off is always interesting.

Hate to blow all the theories out of the water but it all depends on your area.  It can change in a second and be a week to 2 weeks different.  Every year I see people saying the rut is on full force and I see nothing then a week later I see it and so on.  Best way to see the rut and know when it is, is to be out there hunting!!  

• Like 1

Hate to blow all the theories out of the water but it all depends on your area.  It can change in a second and be a week to 2 weeks different.  Every year I see people saying the rut is on full force and I see nothing then a week later I see it and so on.  Best way to see the rut and know when it is, is to be out there hunting!!  

So true! I hunt properties only a few miles apart . Have seen many times where one property is dead and the other is blowing up with activity. Only to switch around in the next week or so. Really the best advice, is to hunt every day you can. And spend as much time in the deer woods as possible during the last week of October through November. Because hey, you never know!

• Like 1

So true! I hunt properties only a few miles apart . Have seen many times where one property is dead and the other is blowing up with activity. Only to switch around in the next week or so. Really the best advice, is to hunt every day you can. And spend as much time in the deer woods as possible during the last week of October through November. Because hey, you never know!

Not to play one up, but I've been in situations where two hunters hunting the same properties see different "rut experiences." One where its wide open, and one where its dead quiet.

Nov 2, 2013, me and Moog were hunting the same 20 acre wooded area, which backs up to a big non-hunting parcel. As the crow flies, we were 3-400 yds away from each other. He hunted area 2 and I area 1 and then flipped the a.m. pm. hunts, so he was in 1 and I in 2. Reason being, I had burned my bow tag, and he had one.

My area was flush with bucks that morning...two clear shooters and multiple clear shot opps. Left me shaking my head. I filmed both with my white cell phone to my dismay with both looking at me with little care due to the does in the area. Moog shaking his head the whole time at the pics and texts I was sending. It finally quiets down and we eat lunch and switch spots. My afternoon progressed into seeing two more different shooters and one repeat from the a.m. in the spot where Moog hunted the morning and saw nothing. The area where I saw a ton of action in the a.m., where Moog was now hunting in the afternoon....nada.

All this within a tiny area in one day. Moog ended up killing one of the bucks I saw that a.m. a day or two later.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Oct 30 thru Nov 12 for me has always been the best for Bow, the bucks are ready and the doe's are still not ready to breed so it is the chase period. The bucks are looking for that first doe to come into heat... I stay out most of the day, in several ground blinds that are natural materials, like a downed maple tree etc...have plastic chairs in them so I can sit.

• 2 weeks later...

It is the same time every year.  Peak between nov 7th to late teens.  daytime activity depends on temps.......   If nov 3rd is 20 - 35 degrees and nov 13th (best day of year give or take couple of days in my opinion) is 40 to 60 degrees and I have one day to hunt I am picking nov 3rd.

agree with this to.  Westchester rut is almost always a week different then dutchess county rut......