Gutting Gloves

moog5050

I do notice it is far less than if I were to go gloveless not to mention it can keep any turds and other nastiness off of my bare hands and that to me is always a nice benefit

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I am going to go out on a limb here as guess you aren't a father.....lol. just kidding.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

not to my knowledge and hopefully not for at least a few more years lol

Just wait till you have some orange and green tie dye looking baby poop on your hand because the baby kicked its diaper and now you have to catch its leg as it kicks it around covered in the tie dye mess. A little blood and guts wont be a big deal at all.

We do not use gloves.. no need to wear them, not worried about the mess.. and its more fun..

Speaking of this, i took my fiance out 2 years ago and she harvested her first deer ever that evening in December, when it came down to field dressing the doe, she didn't hesitate or anything. Grabbed her knife and started opening up that deer,( she knew the insides would warm her hands, that was her main reason haha! :)) with me just telling her where to cut as she got into it, she did the whole field dress herself. That was quite impressive i thought.. no gloves, just adrenaline! she killed her first with archery tackle last year and did the same..

It did kind of worry me some that if i ever pissed her off, she would probably do the same to me haha!

I may wear gloves when processing the venison, only b/c i do that out in the cold garage, and that thin rubber glove actually does keep the cold away from your finger tips, better than no glove. But that's the only reason i ever wear a glove..

pics of fiance to judge just how impressive. :pleasantry:

Just wait till you have some orange and green tie dye looking baby poop on your hand because the baby kicked its diaper and now you have to catch its leg as it kicks it around covered in the tie dye mess. A little blood and guts wont be a big deal at all.

just when my oldest was potty trained we went and had another. it's horrifying. But I will say, there's always a sink, towels and soap nearby. Cant say the same in the deer woods.

• Like 1

Meconium!

Last year was the first that I used gloves while field dressing a deer.  The only reason I did it, is my father in law is very concerned about cleanliness, and I was staying in his recently-completed cabin up North.   About an hour after I called him on the cell, from the scene of the kill in a marshy creek bottom, he showed up carrying a gallon of water, a bar of soap, and a roll of paper towels.   I did not need that stuff with the gloves, and did not have even a drop of blood on my hands after I finished gutting.   I still feel bad about abandoning that gallon glass jug back there in the marsh, but we did not have room to carry it the mile or so to his ATV, with me dragging the buck and him carrying my gun and stuff.  I attempted to recover it this past Memorial day weekend but the bugs were just too bad then.  I will try again in a couple weeks when I am up there with the x-bow. 

I have to admit that the gloves were nice, and I will probably use them again.  The ones I used were fairly tight fitting, blue-rubber coated, white-cloth work gloves.   They are much tougher than those 50-pack, cheap nitrile ones.   My bullet struck the buck centered on a rib, fracturing it into some sharp splinters. They did not penetrate the glove when I scraped against them.   When I got home, I washed the gloves in soapy water and they still look like new.   There is always plenty of time for a full clean-up back home, but saving some time cleaning up on the hunt is a great benefit of the gloves.   Had I got one drop of blood in that new cabin I doubt if I would be invited to hunt there again.      

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

so all geared up with my gutting gloves on yesterday elbows deep in a blood filled cavity and proceeded to stick my knife into my thumb....so much for that. I think I might add some of that antibacterial gel or a small bottle of peroxide to my pack from now on. Oh, those Havalon Knives are pretty sharp!

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

so all geared up with my gutting gloves on yesterday elbows deep in a blood filled cavity and proceeded to stick my knife into my thumb....so much for that. I think I might add some of that antibacterial gel or a small bottle of peroxide to my pack from now on. Oh, those Havalon Knives are pretty sharp!

Ditch the gutting gloves, you need these.

Epica Cut Resistant Gloves with CE Level 5 Protection, 1 Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4XSSDA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_g3apwbSWNAYQR

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4XSSDA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_g3apwbSWNAYQR

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Havalon's are no joke.  Crazy sharp.

Let me guess; cutting the windpipe ?? I reach up as far as I can go with my left hand and grab windpipe, flip the knife blade upside down. reaching in with my right hand until I hit my left hand , I run the back of the blade over my thumb til it drops off. I then know my thumb is clear and roate knife and cut. hope this makes sense.

Do this next time. Take your hand holding the pipe and press it out flat against the side of the rib cage with hand fully open flat.  Then take the knife hand rotate the knife so the blade is towards the opposite side or towards the brisket slowly reach in trying to keep them as far apart as possible once your hands are same depth (you should feel the back or your hand against the other) reach up further with the knife hand cut down and away from your hand while grasping the pipe and pulling. 

I have used this method since I was 14 and never cut/stabbed myself. I also don't use a machete (not saying you were) sized knife to gut my deer. 3" blade is plenty for me.

Edited by chas0218