Gutting Gloves

moog5050

in what?

I don't know, probably his ability to understand germ theory and risk mitigation.

Taking unnecessary risks isn't a sign of manliness and neither is laughing at those who take care of themselves.

I already walk into the woods with a loaded firearm full of other hunters with same.   I walk across frozen swamps, climb through rocky ravines, sit on a swaying tree two stories up, I gut and drag deer in near total darkness, and once in a great while I get into a staring contest with a 600lb ball of unpredictability.    Why would I go ahead and expose myself to any more risk is beyond me, especially since mitigating that risk takes two dollars and maybe half an ounce of portage.

since when did we start using gloves to gut deer? What's next?

probably around the same time we realized that washing your hands kept you healthier, not breathing in coal dust was good for your health, that smoking caused cancer and having to clean dried blood off your steering wheel and antlers could be easily and cheaply avoided.

• Like 4

I don't know, probably his ability to understand germ theory and risk mitigation.

Taking unnecessary risks isn't a sign of manliness and neither is laughing at those who take care of themselves.

I already walk into the woods with a loaded firearm full of other hunters with same.   I walk across frozen swamps, climb through rocky ravines, sit on a swaying tree two stories up, I gut and drag deer in near total darkness, and once in a great while I get into a staring contest with a 600lb ball of unpredictability.    Why would I go ahead and expose myself to any more risk is beyond me, especially since mitigating that risk takes two dollars and maybe half an ounce of portage.

You are exposed to far more germs and microbes on a daily basis than you will probably ever encounter gutting a deer. Think about how filthy a shopping cart handle is, or better yet, your money. How many times has that dollar bill been jammed down a strippers butt crack, or had someone step on it, pick their nose right before touching it, keep it in their pocket while they are sweating heavilly, or god knows what else?

Im not worried about gutting a few deer each year.

You are exposed to far more germs and microbes on a daily basis than you will probably ever encounter gutting a deer. Think about how filthy a shopping cart handle is, or better yet, your money. How many times has that dollar bill been jammed down a strippers butt crack, or had someone step on it, pick their nose right before touching it, keep it in their pocket while they are sweating heavilly, or god knows what else?

No carpet in your truck bed, no gloves when gutting .... vile, just so vile ....

So truthfully, half the time I forget the gloves or to put them on, but when I do remember, I am happy not to have to scrub so hard to clean my hands of the residue, especially since I am more of a grip and rip type field dresser.

• Like 3

I've never gotten my finger infected at a strip joint...lol

I don't know many people that have had a negative reaction to handling money, but I do know many that has a negative reaction when handling deer.

It's not about how many germs, more about what type.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I don't know many people that have had a negative reaction to handling money, but I do know many that has a negative reaction when handling deer.

It's not about how many germs, more about what type.

I can guarantee you that I have known more deer hunters than you over the years, and I know of one that has had any reaction to gutting a deer, and he posted in this thread lol.

Go back and read what I said, I never said it was just about how many germs you encounter. I would be willing to bet that more people get colds, the flu, stomach bugs, etc from handling money than you think.

I can guarantee you that I have known more deer hunters than you over the years, and I know of one that has had any reaction to gutting a deer, and he posted in this thread lol.

Go back and read what I said, I never said it was just about how many germs you encounter. I would be willing to bet that more people get colds, the flu, stomach bugs, etc from handling money than you think.

Money back guarantee?

I just finished reading this thread and thought that I would ask if anyone else has ever had a reaction to deer blood. I get itchy skin for a day after gutting without gloves so it has been many years since I have not worn them. I've tried many different types and have settled on elbow length industrial cleaning gloves. Like others, I turn them inside out and wash them at home.

Bacterial and/or parasitic infection are rare, but real concerns. Better safe than infected.

• Like 1

I just finished reading this thread and thought that I would ask if anyone else has ever had a reaction to deer blood. I get itchy skin for a day after gutting without gloves so it has been many years since I have not worn them. I've tried many different types and have settled on elbow length industrial cleaning gloves. Like others, I turn them inside out and wash them at home.

Bacterial and/or parasitic infection are rare, but real concerns. Better safe than infected.

Hmm, be careful, buck hunter up there might actually believe there's more than one person that has a reaction to deer blood.

I prefer using gloves simply because we often go grab breakfast/lunch or a dinner after a kill at a diner and walking in and eating with bloody hands isn't the greatest thing to do.

If it's just cleaning up to go home and hang the deer/process, then whatever. No big deal if gloves aren't available.

A few years back I contracted nasty infections twice from gutting animals..One time with a squirrel and the other time with a caribou.. Since then a Ziploc bag full of latex exam gloves is always in my pack and I wear them while gutting and butchering critters..

The time I was infected from a gutting a caribou, my hunt would have been over and I would have had to fly out of camp early, except one of my partners had a bottle of Cipro in his pack..It saved my hunt..

Hmm, be careful, buck hunter up there might actually believe there's more than one person that has a reaction to deer blood.

All I said was that Ive only ever known one person that had a negative reaction to it. I never said only one person on earth has.

Dont you have someone to pull the race card on or a flashlight to sell?

• Like 1

We do not use gloves.. no need to wear them, not worried about the mess.. and its more fun..

Speaking of this, i took my fiance out 2 years ago and she harvested her first deer ever that evening in December, when it came down to field dressing the doe, she didn't hesitate or anything. Grabbed her knife and started opening up that deer,( she knew the insides would warm her hands, that was her main reason haha! :)) with me just telling her where to cut as she got into it, she did the whole field dress herself. That was quite impressive i thought.. no gloves, just adrenaline! she killed her first with archery tackle last year and did the same..

It did kind of worry me some that if i ever pissed her off, she would probably do the same to me haha!

I may wear gloves when processing the venison, only b/c i do that out in the cold garage, and that thin rubber glove actually does keep the cold away from your finger tips, better than no glove. But that's the only reason i ever wear a glove..

I used to feel the same way until got those 2 infections...The first time the Doc wanted to put me in the hospital on IV , but I talked him into oral antibiotics and they did the trick..

The second time I was hundreds of miles back in the wilds of Alaska, and if I had to fly out for treatment it would have been a very expensive proposition, not to mention a total bummer ruining my hunting trip..

My "sissy" latex gloves are cheap insurance..

• Like 5

I always try to remember to have a ton of nitrile gloves in my pack. Granted they don't go past my wrist much like an exam glove and yes some blood and fluids do get on your hands through the entrance of the glove I do notice it is far less than if I were to go gloveless not to mention it can keep any turds and other nastiness off of my bare hands and that to me is always a nice benefit

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk