Gutting Gloves

moog5050

Decided to grab some for the upcoming season.  How ridiculous are the prices of "field dressing gloves" vs. disposable veterinary or breeding long gloves.  I guess you can change the name and charge 10x more.  Of course, I bought the much more expensive "field dressing gloves" as they are made for hunting - must be better right?

Seriously, there was one pair of disposable "field dressing gloves" on ebay for like $8 plus shipping.  What poor sap is buying those?

I don't use them anymore either.

When I did, I used to put the heart and liver in them so I know they weren't left behind.

Now my edible organs ride back inside the carcass, but sometimes they get lost this way.

Ive done that walk a few times, back tracking my drag to find where that darn deer heart went to.

• Like 1

I turn mine inside out and leave the gutting knife inside for cleaning at home, and promptly wrap them in the disposable tarp along with my deer to avoid getting blood on the carpet in the truck bed.  I kid you not, I do actually wrap the deer in a tarp and use the same tarp to discard bones, etc after butchering in my garage.  Keep a supply of the tarps at home too.

In my neighborhood, the fact that I have dead deer hanging in my garage makes neighbors cringe - On this site, the fact that I do it neatly, makes me suspect. 

Too funny.

BTW - for those that have seen the light of using gloves for neat field dressing, feel free to PM for a pair of disposable gloves.  I will sell them for $7.79 plus shipping per pair so that you aren't ripped off by that no good son of a gun selling them for $8/pair plus shipping on ebay.

• Like 3

I turn mine inside out and leave the gutting knife inside for cleaning at home, and promptly wrap them in the disposable tarp along with my deer to avoid getting blood on the carpet in the truck bed.  I kid you not, I do actually wrap the deer in a tarp and use the same tarp to discard bones, etc after butchering in my garage.  Keep a supply of the tarps at home too.

In my neighborhood, the fact that I have dead deer hanging in my garage makes neighbors cringe - On this site, the fact that I do it neatly, makes me suspect. 

Too funny.

Funny you mention that.  I've lived in Webster for a month and a half now.  My first thought when I took a look at my Mayberry-esque neighborhood was "oh man, these people are going to hate seeing deer hanging in the backyard."  Let's see how quickly I can be evicted.    

Life long Webster resident ( except for a few years in the city to get on the job) my family moved here when Lake road was a dirt road.

Quite a number of hunters still here even in the swankier neighborhoods , but I understand fully what you say .

I always made it a point to hang one in my front yard, you'd be surprised at the chance you get to talk to kids and adults alike about hunting in a positive way because of it .

Oh and Welcome !

Edited by Larry302

I take the "out of sight, out of mind" approach. Pretty much try to handle butchering in the garage with door closed when possible. Wrap the carcass in the tarp and toss it in a garbage bag.

Not likely to convert the retirees in my area to hunters anyways. I do share venison with my immediate neighbors that like it.

I take the "out of sight, out of mind" approach. Pretty much try to handle butchering in the garage with door closed when possible. Wrap the carcass in the tarp and toss it in a garbage bag.

Not likely to convert the retirees in my area to hunters anyways. I do share venison with my immediate neighbors that like it.

you're not Italian by any chance are you? or as they say, a "Goodfella"?

Decided to grab some for the upcoming season.  How ridiculous are the prices of "field dressing gloves" vs. disposable veterinary or breeding long gloves.  I guess you can change the name and charge 10x more.  Of course, I bought the much more expensive "field dressing gloves" as they are made for hunting - must be better right?

Seriously, there was one pair of disposable "field dressing gloves" on ebay for like $8 plus shipping.  What poor sap is buying those?

Do u keep them next to ur wife's tampons.... hahaha jk

Edited by zag

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hunter-s-Specialties-Field-Dressing-Gloves-Combo-Pack/15111185

I use these. Dick's Sporting Goods or Wally World. Probably at more stores too. I want to get the gutting over a.s.a.p so I like these so I can cut and pull everything out faster. I put the used gloves inside out in the deer and dispose of later. Just make sure the short gloves are over the long gloves when you use them.About a dollar a pair.

Edited by 132 eight pointer
  • Like 2