Why we get a bad name as Deer hunters.

First-light

On a quick side note, the local hunters ed instructor teaching a class;

"to check if a deer is dead, poke it in the eye with the barrel of your rifle, as that is the most sensitive spot"

IMO: The only respect in this sport is a quick clean kill,  not one where you take a bad shot, and go tracking for hours.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a quick side note, the local hunters ed instructor teaching a class;

"to check if a deer is dead, poke it in the eye with the barrel of your rifle, as that is the most sensitive spot"

IMO: The only respect in this sport is a quick clean kill,  not one where you take a bad shot, and go tracking for hours.

The instructor is 100% correct.

In a perfect world, we would all make perfect shots every time. Unfortunately, thats not what happens. Acting like a brainless hill billy and video taping it for the world to see is just plain stupid and immature. Defending it is telling.

VJP, I too agree.

Yes sir....it's no wonder to me why so many of us have a hard time acquiring new propperty to hunt and are looked down upon by the non hunting public.

I used to take every door that got slammed in my face personaly and every woodlot that got posted solid from one season to the next where permission had already been obtained.

I come to the realization it's not me these landowners don't want in there, rather just the opposite, but when it's perceived that this is the way we all act that's when we all get lumped into the same category as the slobs.

The way that hunters conduct themselves afield is something I've become very adimate about for these very reasons but I've learned where to propperly point the blame. >:D 

I bet insurance companies cheer when they see this..that is a freedom that rears its ugly head once and a while..like people who use guns for violence then we all get looked at as if we had somthing to do with it..such as tv and radio..if you dont like it then dont watch or listen..but those guys sadly arent the coolest dudes out there..on a scale of one to one hundred i give it a four..only cause it was a good shot...kind of a given

Obviously you don't see the problem with the video. This world is made up of all types and you have your time expressing your opinion. By the way a few years back I was traveling down rt 17. This guy was pulling a quad on a trailer. He had shot a spike and sat it on his quad like the deer was riding it. He actually had the front hooves tied to the steering wheel and the head waved back a forth, was he from your camp?

I am sorry but i think i would find this helarious if i saw it while driving down the road.LOL.Whats the differance of being tied on a trunk or on a quad or just laying on the trailer next to the quad.

The difference is that it doesn't show any respect for your quarry!!

It would irritate me very much to see this because as letinmfly said, it is disrespectful to the animal whose life you just took.  I get tweaked when we have company and they suggest that I should "dress up" my mounts for holidays and such.

So..is putting redlights in my euro mount like in my avitar disrespect for the animal?..i mean i shot him..i gutted..i skinned ..i processed..i ate him..i boiled the head and drank alotta beers throughout the whole process..he is part of me and my flair is part of him..mounts are a reflection of a hunter and their accomplishments..it has nothing to do with the animal...other than its beauty...i believe..

I watched one other video from the a-holes.....there is no need to post this on the web. Do what you have to to finish a deer but when it is not the best scenario there is not need to brag/post it for all to see. These guys aren't true sportsmen......we should all post comments on youtube to shut the idiots up.

I really don't have a problem with the blodd on the leaves....It is part of tracking and not done in a bad way....the spurting blood I think is not in good taste. They are selling a product and it's all about money so it doesn't surprise me. I would choose not to buy a product that advertised like this if I knew about it before my purchase.

The blood seems to be the problem I have here. They don't seem to be as irreverant to the game as the hillbillies in this video, though.

blur, you just plain dont get it, and its a waste to argue about it with you. Showing blood inst the issue, dragging game out by the legs inst the issue. Filming your buddy shooting a deer at point blank range while acting like an immature moron for no reason other than because you think its a cool video, and then posting it on the internet is the issue. These guys need to grow up a little and have some class. I just dont know how anyone could defend this kind of crap.

For the record i am not "defending" the posting of this video as you high class people are suggesting..i certainly wouldnt  enjoy this video myself..however concidering this is surprisingly the redneck 40 yr old virgins first deer i can accept his enthusiasim..and im pretty sure they didnt exactly set out to make a head shot video..your acting as if this sort of thing never happens..and if i look for videos on the internet i preview them  1st b4 showing my 6 yr old..everyone pays for a licence and a stamp..what they choose to do as long as its within legal guideline is nobodys buisness..sending them comments is only adding fuel to the fire..nothing  wrong here..except for disappointing the hardcore christians..

For the record i am not "defending" the posting of this video as you high class people are suggesting..i certainly wouldnt  enjoy this video myself..however concidering this is surprisingly the redneck 40 yr old virgins first deer i can accept his enthusiasim..and im pretty sure they didnt exactly set out to make a head shot video..your acting as if this sort of thing never happens..and if i look for videos on the internet i preview them  1st b4 showing my 6 yr old..everyone pays for a licence and a stamp..what they choose to do as long as its within legal guideline is nobodys buisness..sending them comments is only adding fuel to the fire..nothing  wrong here..except for disappointing the hardcore christians..

i dont think christiananity has anything to do with nor dealing with high class people. you said it yourself, you are not defending this video nor enjoy it for yourself correct? The lack of respect for the sport and the animal is the real issue here. I get it, the guy may have harvested his first deer, great. Carrying on like an idiot on camera on the web is stupid, plain and simple. Maybe he did put a head shot on the deer and put the doe  out easy, thats fine and im pretty sure the guys here dont have an issue with that nearly as much as the 2 carried on and out in the video. the video was poor judged and should have been kept for private show and tell not for others to critique. but when you come across a guy or in this case guys doing something stupid "On Film", you tend to get all sort of reactions....

wnybuckhunter:  you just don't get it.  there is NO RESPECT in this sport what so ever, PERIOD ENDED.  Get off your high tree stand and stop pretending to respect the animal you are killing.  Your shooting it, putting it in pain, letting it bleed out, or die from a blown out lung, pierced heart, or whatever else.  That is NOT RESPECT to an animal.  Stop pretending to worship the deer.

Your killing it,  cutting it's guts out, leaving the gut pile in the woods. then your cutting it into little pieces and munching on it.  Did you give it a proper burial with a tomb stone, and say mass ??  the only one who should respect you is your family for providing food, nothing more.  The way you kill a deer is no different than these red necks on the video.  You just don't video tape it, they did.  who cares.

hunting will always have a bad name,  give 10,000 lbs of meat to the food donation program, hunting still has a bad name.  google the anti bear hunters in NJ who are crying over the dead bears this season.  All they talk about is the trophy killers who kill for blood.

wnybuckhunter:  you just don't get it.  there is NO RESPECT in this sport what so ever, PERIOD ENDED.  Get off your high tree stand and stop pretending to respect the animal you are killing.  Your shooting it, putting it in pain, letting it bleed out, or die from a blown out lung, pierced heart, or whatever else.  That is NOT RESPECT to an animal.  Stop pretending to worship the deer.

Your killing it,  cutting it's guts out, leaving the gut pile in the woods. then your cutting it into little pieces and munching on it.  Did you give it a proper burial with a tomb stone, and say mass ??  the only one who should respect you is your family for providing food, nothing more.  The way you kill a deer is no different than these red necks on the video.  You just don't video tape it, they did.  who cares.

hunting will always have a bad name,  give 10,000 lbs of meat to the food donation program, hunting still has a bad name.  google the anti bear hunters in NJ who are crying over the dead bears this season.  All they talk about is the trophy killers who kill for blood.

so even tho you hunt deer and kill them, you are trying to imply one can not have respect for the game and animal???

i love these animals just as much as the next avid hunter, i have high respect for the illusive animal i wish to harvest, yes... just because you kill a deer, field dress it and consume it does not mean one can not love and respect the animal he hunts. i respect these animals enough to make MY BEST effort to make sure all of my gear in on the money, sited in and ready to go, practicing throughout the year also to ensure the right placement of my arrow or bullet. Its the ones who show lack of respect who go in the woods to shoot a deer on an un sighted gun or faulty equipent to persue this animal are at fault for the lack of respect. everything you do to better yourself and odds as a hunter also falls into the same catagory as trying to carry out your job fast and easy for the game, or the best you can do. Not just sling arrows and let bullets sail in the air in hopes of hitting something... No disrespect Blur but what i get from you is your love for the sport and respect for the animal is not there???

look up the defination of respect in the dictionary.  Your meaning is not correct.  Making a clean kill is human hunting, like these rednecks did.  Clean kills & Loving the sport of hunting and using the word respect is 2 different things entirely.

search the forum and see who is calling deer search for lost injured deer. 

being humane in MY EYES, is showing respect. If i didnt give a s*it like some, i would live my normal life until hunting season and just go in the woods and try to kill something and not really care the shape of my gear. a defition of resect is "regard highly, think much of" did the indian fall under that catagory as well? im pretty sure they respected the animal that fed them... perhaps you would like to differ?

and im not really sure where your going with the deer search comment... but you sound like you agree with the video so keep it at that i guess. i understand your implying you can not respect something you kill, i just dont have to agree with it. its what i beleive...

look up the defination of respect in the dictionary.  Your meaning is not correct.  Making a clean kill is human hunting, like these rednecks did.  Clean kills & Loving the sport of hunting and using the word respect is 2 different things entirely.

Noone is faulting the guys for following up and finding the deer.  ::)

Like I said, you dont get it, and probably never will.

wnybuckhunter:    you just don't get it.  there is NO RESPECT in this sport what so  ever, PERIOD ENDED.  Get off your high tree stand and stop pretending to  respect the animal you are killing.  Your shooting it, putting it in  pain, letting it bleed out, or die from a blown out lung, pierced heart,  or whatever else.  That is NOT RESPECT to an animal.  Stop pretending  to worship the deer.

Your killing it,  cutting it's guts out, leaving  the gut pile in the woods. then your cutting it into little pieces and  munching on it.  Did you give it a proper burial with a tomb stone, and  say mass ??  the only one who should respect you is your family for  providing food, nothing more.  The way you kill a deer is no different  than these red necks on the video.  You just don't video tape it, they  did.  who cares.

hunting will always have a bad name,  give  10,000 lbs of meat to the food donation program, hunting still has a bad  name.  google the anti bear hunters in NJ who are crying over the dead  bears this season.  All they talk about is the trophy killers who kill  for blood.

I never said anything you are accusing me of. Maybe you should go back and read my comments, I said the guys should grow up and have some class, not worship the deer. I dont jump around like a retard and film myself making head shots on deer thinking Im cool, then posting it on the internet. Thats the difference, and for you to act like you know how I hunt or say that I do the same things as these idiots is pretty showing on yourself. Like I said, you dont and will probably never wrap your mind around the concept most of us are talking about here.

Noone is faulting the guys for following up and finding the deer.  ::)

Like I said, you dont get it, and probably never will.

Did you ever find your lost deer ?  ::)

This is the kind of thing that makes my wife really mad.  She is fine with me hunting and killing an animal to bring home to eat.  What she can't stand is the perverse mentalily of disrespect that she has seen from other hunters--leaving deer parts laying around in the yard, letting the dog chew on a head, and laughing about it.

Whether you agree or not with qdm, I definitely like the QDMA logo of a healthy buck and a doe and a sprout of food.  I like that portrayal of deer better than the skull and death look of "Bone Collector" stuff.  I'm not saying a European mount is necessarily perverse, just that there is an attitude out there that glories in the killing and death of the animal, which does seem to border on a lack of respect for their life. 

I really enjoy hunting and I kill.  That said I don't think its a healthy attitude to have to glorify death and reduce the animal to "Bone" or laugh about suffering.  If you can shoot a deer and watch it die and not have some level of empathy, you really need to take a look at yourself.