How Many Acres Do Think Is Enough To Hunt On?

DirtTime

In Belo's defense, not that he needs it, I believe what he is saying is that when you don't achieve your goal and watch others achieving that same goal, it can increase frustration.  That I can understand.  That doesn't mean you are not happy for those that do, more that you are disappointed in your own performance.

Maybe I am misunderstanding him, but that's what he may have meant.  If he is suggesting that he is pulling against his friends/family achieving their mutual goals, then I think most will agree that such is an unhealthy outlook.  But to each his own.

• Like 1

I will definitely agree with you that it's only a deer.  One main reason I come to this site is to see how fanatical many people are over hunting, deer, antlers, guns, etc.  I often give people some $#!+ about it, too, as you probably know.  I find it all quite amusing to say the least, since I do mighty little preparation and yet I've had only one deerless season since 1987.  So from my view, a lot less time can be devoted to all this and one can still be successful.  The rest of our time we can devote to living and as you say, to some "real priorities in life".

By the way I am the 28th top poster here, one below Wooly, and nowhere near the top 10.  You had me nervous there for a second.  I think I'd have myself psychologically evaluated if I was ever in the top 5 or 10 around here. LOL  That would definitely be an indication to a REAL problem.  LOL

Steve

The act of preparing diligently to achieve a goal does not mean one has priorities out of whack.  I will generally give 110 percent effort to anything I choose to do, but that doesn't mean that any particular hobby takes priority over more important things.  I put plenty of time into hunting (among other hobbies), but it is not more important to me than God, family, work.  Somehow I seem to find time for everything, although it generally means much less sitting on the couch watching TV than most people.

The great thing about most hobbies is that you can put as much effort into them as YOU choose and YOU will usually reap the rewards consistent with your level of effort.  Not always but often.  I don't want to be the person that says, if I had only given more effort, I could have achieved more.  AND, there is a law of diminishing returns in everything.  Each person must set the effort level where they believe it best.

• Like 1

In Belo's defense, not that he needs it, I believe what he is saying is that when you don't achieve your goal and watch others achieving that same goal, it can increase frustration. That I can understand. That doesn't mean you are not happy for those that do, more that you are disappointed in your own performance.

Maybe I am misunderstanding him, but that's what he may have meant. If he is suggesting that he is pulling against his friends/family achieving their mutual goals, then I think most will agree that such is an unhealthy outlook. But to each his own.

Belo has never came across to me as the type that was very articulate in expressing himself, but I too believe he meant no ill will towards friends and family.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

That my friend is scary... that you even have that in your head. I can honestly say that has never and will never be a thought in my head concerning deer hunting... That may be normal for you... But me, I'd get myself checked out if I had that thought.

i've never blanked. I personally don't have those feelings about deer hunting. That very same year I stuck a nice 2.5 year old with my bow. I've had those feelings in my personal life. I believe we all have. So, again I'm just saying that regarless of your own personal experiences I don't believe it's impossible or even rare for hunters to feel that way some times. Heck look at the guys lying and cheating for their peice of fame.

Belo, I was with you until that last one. I get the disappointment, but I can say that I've only hunted 6 seasons. In that time, I have killed three deer. Despite that, I have had 6 seasons that I have enjoyed immensely. Disappointment is normal in that you set a goal and didn't accomplish it. But if you put that level of importance on killing a deer, at what point does it stop being an enjoyable activity?

totally with you. It's very important to sit back and remind yourself it's just deer hunting. I am a Type A, a perfectionist and whatever I do I prefer to do right. In life not everything goes the way you want. Not speaking about deer hunting in particular, but just life in general. I don't want to go grey by 32, so I sit back and look at my 2 healthy little boys and lovely wife and remember it's all going to be ok.

In Belo's defense, not that he needs it, I believe what he is saying is that when you don't achieve your goal and watch others achieving that same goal, it can increase frustration.  That I can understand.  That doesn't mean you are not happy for those that do, more that you are disappointed in your own performance.

Maybe I am misunderstanding him, but that's what he may have meant.  If he is suggesting that he is pulling against his friends/family achieving their mutual goals, then I think most will agree that such is an unhealthy outlook.  But to each his own.

nailed it.

Belo has never came across to me as the type that was very articulate in expressing himself, but I too believe he meant no ill will towards friends and family.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

thanks old friend. it's been a while since you and I had it out?  :airkiss:

how's the lighting business?

Quite a few here have mentioned on this forum the idea of making goals for your hunting season... you guys really make goals?? Like trying to get a certain amount of deer, or filling all your tags or killing a big buck? You actually, consciously, sit down and make goals like that? Please tell me there are some of you out there that just go hunting for the sheer enjoyment regardless of the outcome. Okay, I know I'm usually the odd one out, but I never so much has thought about needing a goal for my hunting. The are not enough acres to hunt on to make me want to make up goals for deer hunting... That last sentence was just to stay on topic. :)

• Like 1

Quite a few here have mentioned on this forum the idea of making goals for your hunting season... you guys really make goals?? Like trying to get a certain amount of deer, or filling all your tags or killing a big buck? You actually, consciously, sit down and make goals like that? Please tell me there are some of you out there that just go hunting for the sheer enjoyment regardless of the outcome. Okay, I know I'm usually the odd one out, but I never so much has thought about needing a goal for my hunting. The are not enough acres to hunt on to make me want to make up goals for deer hunting... That last sentence was just to stay on topic. :)

I suspect we all have a goal of getting a deer when we walk out the door to go deer hunting. I'm not sure how far most of us carry that, but yeah, I have a goal of collecting some venison. Others may have a goal of getting a buck. Still others may have a minimum size criteria in mind and set that as a "goal". I guess I do believe that everyone has something in mind as to what constitutes a measure of success for them. Enjoying the hunt is a given, but everything we do has a purpose(s) and some way to know if we met that purpose.

I don't know anyone who sits down and writes out the goals or makes a huge official deal out of their goal-setting, but I'm pretty sure that we all do it in one form or another.

• Like 2

I agree Doc. I know I spent A LOT of time shooting the stick bow this last off season with the goal of killing a deer with it. I always have the goal of taking a mature buck. Doesn't always happen but yes I will set goals. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy hunting even when I don't meet them or take deer.

Yep, even with hunting, I have goals.

If I don't have goals set, I don't accomplish anything, including enjoyment.

That said, my first goal is to enjoy the hunting w/friends and family, even if the other goals don't pan out.

• Like 1

Yep my goals this year are to get my oldest daughter out a bit more in gun and finally up in a tree stand.....( she's going to start by sitting in one on afternoon hunts with a camera while I bow hunt ) .

Then my goal is to get her a deer, which mean's I give up my best opening day spot !

My goal is to hunt smarter not more, that's a challenge but I'm laying off most of the early season .

I suspect we all have a goal of getting a deer when we walk out the door to go deer hunting. I'm not sure how far most of us carry that, but yeah, I have a goal of collecting some venison. Others may have a goal of getting a buck. Still others may have a minimum size criteria in mind and set that as a "goal". I guess I do believe that everyone has something in mind as to what constitutes a measure of success for them. Enjoying the hunt is a given, but everything we do has a purpose(s) and some way to know if we met that purpose.

I don't know anyone who sits down and writes out the goals or makes a huge official deal out of their goal-setting, but I'm pretty sure that we all do it in one form or another.

I guess I just never thought much about it... usually I don't have anything in mind until I actually get in the woods, then everything depends on what's going on there. I suppose my first goal then would be getting my ass out of bed early... and I don't always accomplish that one.

I have a small 9 acre plot of oaks, maples, and pines behind the house. the small little piece of land sits between a few ponds, and corn and soybean fields. so my property has turned into the travel route to get between the 2 main nutrient sources. I have a stand for me along a power line where i can see 2 trails that butt together 100 yards from my stand, I have a second stand about 200 yards away that is set up for my wife this year overlooking the scrub brush and main trail from a small elevation rise. both stands have seen deer activity in scouting and with just the 2 of us hunting i feel it will be very promising for some tags to be filled.... or so i hope... 

The goal of any hunting should be to kill w/e you are hunting for. If you just want to enjoy nature you can do that without dropping hundreds/thousands on hunting gear. Like hiking.

I just love being outdoors as much as possible as well. But I do have goals, filling tags would be one of them, and being in the woods as much as possible is another. Are those goals a set in stone priority? Nope, just what I hope for during the seasons. Maybe hoping and having a goal are different, I guess that's a personal thing.

As for acreage? We are done with living in the stink hole area we live in, and are looking at either renting a house or buying a house. We are looking at two right now, one has 5 acres, and one has 1.5 acres ( both rentals ) and are in the country and wooded land surrounding them. So If things go well I will just have a small get-to-gether/house warming and invite the neighbors and get a feel for how they feel about hunting and hopefully get permission to hunt the surrounding areas. I am changing my tune though, if we get the 5 acre place I will be out there next season with my bow. I still feel it's small, but I guess for just bow hunting it will be OK. 

My primary goal is always the same, whether I am hunting or fishing: to come back with some food. If it wasn't, I would probably be into golf, football, baseball, or bowling, none of which do a thing for me. A secondary goal is to enjoy myself when I am out there, and I usually do. Sometimes it is tough when the weather is bad and the action is slow. Knowing that the big one might show up at any moment always keeps it exiting. I can't think of any pursuits where one is better positioned to receive and enjoy God's blessings than hunting and fishing. No wonder Jesus's first followers were fisherman.

• Like 1

I make goals with everything in life. So far it's treated me very well in my career. Now, making goals doesn't always take a lot of time or anguish. I've said it before, when you step in the woods you should know what you're going to shoot and what you're not going to shoot. It will help prevent last minute decisions and poor shots.

heck there's a enough time twidling my thumbs in the stand where I can come up with my goals. For example, this year I'd like at least 3 deer for my freezer as that's generally what my family will eat. I hope of those 3 to have at least one 2.5 or older buck. If I fail, I don't lose sleep. Heck, even saying I'm just going to go out and enjoy nature is still a goal. Saying you don't care what you shoot is a goal. I absolutely enjoy hunting while still having goals.