How Many Acres Do Think Is Enough To Hunt On?

DirtTime

It's more a question of being on the right acre than having enough acres ..... lol.

very true.. except maybe for bow hunting you might want enough land so that you don't have to continually ask permission from adjoining landowners to retrieve your deer. Especially if you don't have a good rapport with said landowners like many hunters don't.

• Like 1

Opening day there are a lot of people around us so 6 of us sit tight with 200-250 yards between us. I use a hand held GPS and Google Earth - which is also a very useful tool for planning hunts before we go out. The stands have been chosen for safety and deer potential. With the combination of tree stands and hilly terrain, we can't shoot each other as long as everyone sits tight. We turn on the 2-way radios if someone shoots so we know what is going on. 

After opening day, the surrounding properties are hunted lightly. We spread out on the neighbors and do small, circular still hunting drives.

There has never been an issue here with another hunter finishing off a deer someone else shot first. The person who shot first gets to tag the deer.

It's more a question of being on the right acre than having enough acres ..... lol.

So true Doc! The small property that has deer will be more productive than the large property that holds few deer. And to answer the the original question, my opinion is to have at least ten acres per hunter. I have the 45 acre property by the the lake, the farm where I grew up is 375 acres, and only my buddy and I hunt these. But every now and then we will invite a friend or relative to join us. My Grandsons will hunt here as well. I also have another farm of 400 plus acres that I have permission to hunt and share with my brother and three other guy's. The 45 acre property is a natural funnel and at certain times, we see more deer there than all the other properties combined.

Steve

Phade, another hunter and I often hunt together.  I cannot imagine a situation where we would be fighting over who killed a deer.  I would be happy to finish one off for one of them (and its still their deer) and I am sure vice versa. If that is really a concern, I agree that hunting alone is a better option, but if you are hunting with friends it should be a non-issue.  Forget first fatal shot, if a friend wounded a deer and I finish it, its his (whether the first shot would be fatal or not).  That's what a friend does.

I agree with your point, and i bet it always works out. I often wonder though what would happen with a 160 class buck. It's easy to say one thing online, and another when it really happens.

• Like 2

I agree with your point, and i bet it always works out. I often wonder though what would happen with a 160 class buck. It's easy to say one thing online, and another when it really happens.

That's a variation on the "you don't really know someone until you've shared an inheritance with them". You don't really know your hunting buddy until you've tried to share a 160 class buck with him.

• Like 1

That's a variation on the "you don't really know someone until you've shared an inheritance with them". You don't really know your hunting buddy until you've tried to share a 160 class buck with him.

With todays hunting mentality, I think many hunters would sooner share their wives than a record book trophy.

Integrity is what it is.  You either have it or don't.  The amount of horn doesn't matter.  I truly believe this and if you aren't certain your friends are the same, you need new friends. 

BTW - the temptation to act contrary to what you know is right comes in many forms and a big buck is, by far, one of the lesser forms.  Its a freakin deer.  lol

Note - Belo, not questioning your integrity, I just don't understand the idea that some big horns are going to cause an otherwise upright person to act without integrity.  There are a heck of a lot of bigger temptations in this world than antlers.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 6

Yea like when your brothers leave the house that is estimated at about 500,000 and say it is now work 2 million at least so I would like 1 million to leave then your 2nd brother wants to do the same and cash out!  Lucky for me my 3rd brother was out already!  Crazy how money makes people turn.

700 acres is just enough for me to stalk the entire day with some sitting.  Tree stand, some of the best spots are on less than 1 acre.   I would say 20 acres for bow minimum and 40 minimum for rifle.  We have multiple stands on a few properties less than 2 acres, no issue if your shot paths are set with the bow plus we keep in contact when getting off stand.

Unfortunately that seems to be the norm with alot of families, sad but true. Money is the greed to all evil.

Integrity is what it is.  You either have it or don't.  The amount of horn doesn't matter.  I truly believe this and if you aren't certain your friends are the same, you need new friends. 

BTW - the temptation to act contrary to what you know is right comes in many forms and a big buck is, by far, one of the lesser forms.  Its a freakin deer.  lol

Note - Belo, not questioning your integrity, I just don't understand the idea that some big horns are going to cause an otherwise upright person to act without integrity.  There are a heck of a lot of bigger temptations in this world than antlers.

Awesome post!  I could not agree more!

• Like 1

Some very different answers on this one.

If it was my own land and I had permission from all surrounding land owners in writing to track on their land I might do 5-10 acres with a bow with just me hunting. Would still rather have at least 20 all to myself.

For me personally with a gun I want a lot of land. I might share 50 acres with another hunter if I have known them for a long, long time. Bullets fly a long way and they are known to ricochet at times. I like my space when hunting, and two gun hunters on 20 acres just isn't for me. I am not saying it can't work out, just how I feel.

A 160? Same thing that happens when a 120 is shot or an 80. If a friendship or hunting buddy is proportionally related to the size of the rack to be had, it's not likely a friendship at all.

But if the scenario presented and I knocked down a 200" deer Moog or the other hunting partner shot first, that was a "lifetime buck," I'd probably be giving some major BS about how I have to do the dirty work for someone shooting low all the time or shoulder punching (depending on the partner, lol. I'm guilty of being known for a liver shot from time to time). Then I'd grab an antler and help him drag his buck out and we all celebrate and let the women in our lives know not to expect us home anytime soon.

I guess the allure of getting worked up over a big buck being shot by someone else in my group alludes me.

And, just as an FYI, we've already lived this a time or two with the amount of deer we are fortunate to shoot. It's a non-issue. I just feel like I need to respond when people question these scenarios in "general" or hypotheticals because it really make me wonder why hunters have a hard time with a scenario like this to begin with.

It's the difference between sitting in your stand, and seeing your hunting buddy walking up the trail to your stand at an odd time with a crap-eating grin on his face and thinking before he gets to you, "Oh man, I hope he got a big one," vs. "Oh man, I hope he didn't shoot my buck or the 160."

If you even wonder about the latter rather than only thinking the former, you really need to look within. Give me a break.

Edited by phade
  • Like 3

There was a span of a few years where my buddy and I would see the deer first, that the other shot. We had a saying, you spot em' and I shot em'. We share all info and stands on our properties. And whoever gets a buck first, will bust his butt to do every thing possible to make sure the other successful as well. Both he and I have put down or finished deer that the other has shot first. That included a couple of the biggest deer we have shot. Outside of a little ribbing on how the deer was able to make it to the other, there was NEVER a discussion over who's deer it was. I really am as excited and happy for him if he gets a nice deer as I am for myself. Sometimes more if he breaks a dry spell or shoots a buck we both have a history with.

Hunting with my own brother and brother in law is not like this. They are the competitive types who feel they have to shoot the biggest deer. And have had "discussions" over dead deer. I hunt with them very little if at all anymore. Even though we share a property. Pretty sad really. Over what? A dead deer........

I am very much looking forward to the best hunt of my life. When my grandson Zach, shoots his first deer in a couple years.

It's not what you take away from hunting. It's what you give back that matters most.

• Like 3

I had a friend come out few years ago and he got a beautiful 10 pt with bow on the day with the worst weather possible, we took lots of photos and won a contest or two.

We went to a sportsman meeting and he was happily showing pics to everyone, I didn't really.look as I saw it and help.get it out and spent night drinking with him in celebration.

So i was just sitting at bar, whe n another member sat next to me and says wow that's the last time he will be hunting your place huh! I looked at him kind of puzzled look, and he then said well he he took that big buck of my place I wouldn't have him back.. I looked right at him and said, I didn't invite him out not to shoot a deer, I hope he gets a world record off my place next year! I'd still invite him out to hunt! He looked sheepish at me got up and left,

That was the first time in realized some people are just jelous antler crazy I don't have anyone like that in camp and I wouldn't hunt with someone like that either.

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 7

I had a friend come out few years ago and he got a beautiful 10 pt with bow on the day with the worst weather possible, we took lots of photos and won a contest or two.

We went to a sportsman meeting and he was happily showing pics to everyone, I didn't really.look as I saw it and help.get it out and spent night drinking with him in celebration.

So i was just sitting at bar, whe n another member sat next to me and says wow that's the last time he will be hunting your place huh! I looked at him kind of puzzled look, and he then said well he he took that big buck of my place I wouldn't have him back.. I looked right at him and said, I didn't invite him out not to shoot a deer, I hope he gets a world record off my place next year! I'd still invite him out to hunt! He looked sheepish at me got up and left,

That was the first time in realized some people are just jelous antler crazy I don't have anyone like that in camp and I wouldn't hunt with someone like that either.

I'd be tickled to have an invited guest take the buck of their lifetime on my property. I'm sure your friend will remember it forever... pretty cool thing to be able to share with a friend.

• Like 3

I agree with the guys that say it doesn't matter what buck a friend, partner, or guest shoots. I had a guy hunting with me for a few years that still has the biggest buck shot on the property. I was just as happy for him as I would have been if it was me. Most years we as hunters, are lucky to get an opportunity to kill a really nice buck. So if I am a part of it, whether it be stand sites, scouting, or whatever, I am glad to be in on it. What a beautiful mount my friend has. Too bad he moved away because he was the last true hunting partner I had for hunting mature bucks.

As for how many acres, I have taken over a dozen 3 and older bucks on the same 12 acre section of land in the last 30 years. Some of the guys always remind us that the right 5 acres is the best, and my little hard to reach honey hole is a perfect example. I don't always get a shot when I sit in this section, but every year I see at least one mature buck, and sometimes a few of them. Best part for all the people that bitch about other hunters or people ruining their hunting spots, I have hunters walk right through this set-up every year trying to drive deer out. I watch the deer just circle around them and lay back down.

I knew plenty of hunters whose biggest thrill was seeing what other guys brought back to camp....those guys are gone as well as the old time hunting camps......now "antler envy" and "look at me" are king.

LOL.. I wonder sometimes who you guys hunt with and who you know... almost everyone I know that hunts has an old time hunting type camp... no jealousy, no antler envy... sometimes a little friendly competition for that year's bragging rights, but mostly guys enjoying having a group of guys that share the same passion as they do... this forum and most trade shows I do are the only places in my "hunting world" that I see "antler envy" or the "look at me" attitude. I agree that things may be changing, but the old-time guys and hunting camps are still alive and well.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 2