Sitka Hunting jacket

fasteddie

Does anyone own or has anyone heard of the Sitka-Gear . I saw a jacket on their site called "The Incinerator" that is filled with down and supposed to be warm in the coldest conditions . It goes for ( cough , cough ) $600 .  ??? 

http://www.sitkagear.com/products/forest/jackets-vests/insulated-jackets/incinerator-jacket/

I figure Doc doesn't own one !  ::)

Check Out www.camofire.com...great site have an array of hunting gear from 45%-60% off retail price.  I just ordered a pair of Sitka Celsius Bibs in mossy oak that retail for as much as $250 (http://www.sitkagear.com/Product.aspx?cat=35)  for around $140 they just came in and I am very happy with them.  You can program the site to your cell phone so you can get text updates on what new deals they have for the most part they sell out very quickly so this feature I take advantage of.  I have gone through them and ordered everything from base layers to raingear, and have always been happy.  I would never pay the retail on this sort of gear (I love hunting but a jacket for 600 beans is just a tad outta my league.) This site allows guys like me to get great gear at awesome prices.

I love to hunt, but I'm fairly confident I'm not willing to spend $600 on any single article of clothing to hunt. I've gotten most of my gear on sale, and have decent stuff...I think there's a balance with most hunting clothes. Definately get what you pay for...to a point.

I was curious to see if anyone actually owned one of these jackets . My youngest son cannot handle the cold . He does have one of the heater body suits and says it is quite cumbersome ( but warm ) .

As for not spending $600 for a single piece of clothing ....... how many folks go out and $1200 or more on a rifle scope so that they will have "good glass" !

That's two different things. That good glass, taken care of, will last a lifetime.

Rarely have I ever seen someone still daunting duds from more than a few years ago. Even taken care of clothes start to fall apart within a few years, eash be damned. My fleece bow season suit is treated like a princess, but it's showing its age after four years.

My brother uses the sitka stuff. He is single lol! He has a new one this year for cold weather he loved but I am not sure which it is.

My trick is a great wicking layer and keep it dry. Do not sweat going in or you are screwed. Then a mid weight layer next to that. Then I layer up depending on conditions but a real good tight weeved fleece is priceless. Then my outer shell. You lose most of your heat from the head and neck so two good hats and a neck /face wrap. Feet and hands are next. For feet do not have tight boots you need circulation then a wick sock and one wool. Hands in a muff. When real cold add toe warmers in boots and a hand warmer in the muff and a body warmer on back of neck or kidney area can keep me real toasty.

As said above Camofire has good dicounts on Sitka gear.

Does anyone own or has anyone heard of the Sitka-Gear . I saw a jacket on their site called "The Incinerator" that is filled with down and supposed to be warm in the coldest conditions . It goes for ( cough , cough ) $600 .  ??? 

http://www.sitkagear.com/products/forest/jackets-vests/insulated-jackets/incinerator-jacket/

I figure Doc doesn't own one !  ::D

600 bucks is a lot of cash for a piece of clothing, what about the Kelvin jacket from Sitka?  Seems to be billed as a super warm type jacket also and it's nearly 1/4 the price on Cabela's.  Unfortunately they only have it in medium and they don't have the forest camo pattern.  But I'd look around and see if there's a shop near you that carries it so you can check it out.  Even on the Sitka website the Kelvin is 1/3 the price of the Incinerator.  Take the extra money and get him some real good layering clothes underneath it.

I've been in the market for some new gear as my camo fleece suit is about 20 years old (and holding strong)...i just can't bring myself to spend a few hundred on new cloths when my family needs things....although I did buy the old many some new gear about 5 years ago. Everytime i go to the store or look in the catalogs I pick out what i want, but when I add up the price, I'd rather get a new gun....after all, I have been hunting in these cloths for a long time and seem to keep warm enough.....can't justify it. :D

Don't know about the coat,I would ask in a forum for states and terr. that have real cold weather.

As far as cost ? Big deal go for it,Got the bills payed and money saved ? drop the $600 on the coat.

Heck how many guys buy 40k and up 4x4's that get 14mpg because " i hunt a lot " lol. 600 ? one months payment , and they lost 10 grand just driving it off the lot..........

I got a box store coat that I've used well over 25 years my daughter now uses it. Your coat will factor out to less then 30 bucks a year easy. My new coat was 300,my boots 200,under armour 120 plus another layer or two.I figure i wear 700 plus bucks worth as it is another 300 if it'll add a good bit of needed warmth? a bargin.

Buy the best cry only once.

Their stuff is top notch. I have tried some, but do not own any.

That said when is the last time anyone paid suggested price on any outdoor related item?

The difference is the gortex shell is 2.5 layer and it has 700 fil down; Down is rated by fill power,700 is typical for decent cold weather gear. But down is useless when it gets wet; therefore the 2.5 layer Goretex for the exterior. It's waterproof to protect the down fil, but being the newer 2.5, breathes better than the original(they need to compete with the newer eVent fabrics). Notice the weight is only 2.5 lbs., thats much lighter compared to comparable clothing with synthetic fills.

My suggestion is to layer with better quality layers and spend the money on a system that flexible from cool to cold. The outer layer can be a camo and quiet, while the under layers act to regulate moisture and temperature. Moisture is often neglected and is very important to regulate......cotton kills. LOL

You may spend as much; but have an entire line of clothing to cover more situations.

Go on some backpacking/backpacking hunting forums to see what most folks are using and you will find good value for weight. Light weights are more comfortable and allow more freedom of movement; they also tend to be more expensive often due to the proprietary materials they employ.

I have some older sitka stuff- and it is not made for treestand hunting...but from a quality and function standpoint- it is about as good as it gets.

wanna talk coin- I have a gray wolf woolens collection..... but if you havent figured it out yet- you typically get what you pay for

A good cheaper version of sitka is russels apx g2.....

I am a camo ho btw... ;)

Camfire just puts up one discounted item at a time. You need to check it daily or sign up for notification. Not the way to go if you need something this minute. But if you have time keep an eye on it. They do put up a lot of Sitka gear.