Rangefinder

orion

Anyone have a rangefinder they like in lowlight conditions?

I usually get to my spot 30 minutes before shooting time. So far its been pretty dark under the canopy, any way my rangefinder isn't working all that well at that time (if at all). It also has a black readout which makes it worse. Also anyone recommend one that might work in a light rain? 

My current one is a Nikon monarch gold laser 1200.

Anyone have a rangefinder they like in lowlight conditions?

I usually get to my spot 30 minutes before shooting time. So far its been pretty dark under the canopy, any way my rangefinder isn't working all that well at that time (if at all). It also has a black readout which makes it worse. Also anyone recommend one that might work in a light rain? 

My current one is a Nikon monarch gold laser 1200.

Try to make mental notes of certain trees and their yardages this way you might not even need to use the rangefinder if a deer is standing right next to, or in front/back of a tree you already know the distance of.

• Like 3

Mine failed in the fog couple days ago. Only read 6-7 yards before fog lifted.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Same, Mine is a Nikon pro staff 7 nice rangefinder but all rangefinders need line of sight to work.

If there is heavy fog, rain, anything that will obstruct the lasers view it will keep the rangefinder from reading the distance.

My rangefinder has a red "backlight" it washes out the picture but you can read the distance barely. If you can't read the numbers on the rangefinder I would doubt you can effectively shoot anything over 20 yards and still see the object through your peep and/or sight window.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 2

Same, Mine is a Nikon pro staff 7 nice rangefinder but all rangefinders need line of sight to work.

If there is heavy fog, rain, anything that will obstruct the lasers view it will keep the rangefinder from reading the distance.

My rangefinder has a red "backlight" it washes out the picture but you can read the distance barely. If you can't read the numbers on the rangefinder I would doubt you can effectively shoot anything over 20 yards and still see the object through your peep and/or sight window.

I have the Prostaff 7 & works well in rain & fog as long as neither is heavy & I liked the idea of the back light but does not work as well as I hoped I never use it

I've got a Nikon Riflehunter 1000 since it first came out.  it has the red backlight.  drowns out the field of view a little but it still works just fine in low light.  it's automatic so I don't choose to use it or not.  I've used it in rain, fog, and everything else with no issue.

Try to make mental notes of certain trees and their yardages this way you might not even need to use the rangefinder if a deer is standing right next to, or in front/back of a tree you already know the distance of.

Too me, this is the most important thing you can do.  In all my years of hunting, I would say that less than 1% of the time I have ever been able to have the luxory of rangefinding the deer just prior to shooting.

I ALWAYS use my rangefinder to locate benchmarks around my stand and then field judge based on those.

My buck last year was 38 yards.  He walked just behind a tree I marked at 35 yards.  I had ZERO time due to him sneaking in and being a second from dissapearing again. 

So important.

Too me, this is the most important thing you can do.  In all my years of hunting, I would say that less than 1% of the time I have ever been able to have the luxory of rangefinding the deer just prior to shooting.

I ALWAYS use my rangefinder to locate benchmarks around my stand and then field judge based on those.

My buck last year was 38 yards.  He walked just behind a tree I marked at 35 yards.  I had ZERO time due to him sneaking in and being a second from dissapearing again. 

So important.

I would think this is just common sense. It's the reason I was looking for one that worked in lowlight. I always range trees etc when I get to one of my spots to refresh the memory. Don't think I've ever actually ranged a deer that I shot.

I would think this is just common sense. It's the reason I was looking for one that worked in lowlight. I always range trees etc when I get to one of my spots to refresh the memory. Don't think I've ever actually ranged a deer that I shot.

Nothing is common sense in this state.  You would be surprised at how many people don't range find anything and claim to be able to know the exact yardage a deer is at.  Others watch too many damn TV shows and think they have all the time in the world while a 170" is standing broadside at 25 yards apparently oblibious to the world. 

Interesting why someone would want a Rangefinder that works in the dark. I each their own. Must be raccoon hunters using a bow.

Its nice to be able to range trees and other objects before the animal you want to shoot shows up. Im guessing they get to their stand in the dark and would want to make use of the time by ranging things.

Like was stated above just range a few trees or land marks for reference this way if it becomes foggy or rainy or the battery goes dead you will still have a good idea of the ranges within 2-3 yards.  Sometimes at that range you will not have time to get the rangefinder out AND shoot so it's better to know beforehand.  If you go to the same spot it should become 2nd nature to know what your distances are.

I had everything ranged out to 40 yards and with the wind I had that day I was not shooting past that distance.  The 3 doe at 130 yards made me think of this site, lol.

• Like 1

Yes I read the post. Back when I could hunt out of treestands, I would hang them about 20-25 yards off an active deer trail or the intersection of two trails from a food source to a bedding site. After picking out an appropriate tree and securing the stand, I would then make sure I had a couple of unobstructed shooting lanes. Next would be to mark out the approximate shooting distances of 5 and 10 yards before the trail.( 10-15, or 15-20) I always found it advisable to accomplish all variables concerning hanging my treestand at one time, weeks before the season, so that I would keep scent to a minimum and be all ready for the coming season.

But you have decided to personalize your posting by referring to me as a Idiot. That I might be, but I'm not a gullible Idiot. As stated previously " to each their own"

Edited by Jmny

I'm sorry Jony but I hunt different stands throughout the year. When I get to one of them and it's in the morning I like to double check all my distances to various trees in my shooting lanes so that I'm ready whenever a deer comes. Is this such a bad thing?

But you need to chime in with your remarks, and that comment makes you an idiot to put it nicely.