How to stay warm

Marion

I also think our bodies need to acclimate to the new cold temps especially after the scorching summer we had. Every year I find myself cold even in mid 40s temp at he start of the season. By mid December , 30 feels toasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is the key to staying warm during the first cold mornings of the year

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As Fletch mentioned a good neck warmer,gator works great against a cold breeze. My son gave me one for Christmas one year and I was surprised how well it worked.Of course you have to do all the other things mentioned already too. I don't use the neck warmer until I have been on stand an hour or so. Also handwarmers , I couldn't hunt in the cold without them.

Layers as mentioned. Wool is great as it holds heat even if it's wet.

Ground blind/hut/enclosed stand with a small propane heater. :D

I wish I could put my finger on it, but I read a study about why this happens and it's not just the extra loft of wool.

Its a chemical reacting between the wool fibers and moisture that actually causes a small amount of heat as a by product.  Wet wool was shown to give off a small amount of heat.  So its a + to temperature and not a -.

I will add that wind will defeat that effect.  The wind chill factor is so much greater.  So as said above a wind blocking layer is very important.

I just have not found a wind blocking layer that is quiet enough, and I test the different clothes all year long to sense if I can feel the air blowing through.  All of the so called "wind blocking" clothes, including heat gears, still seems to allow the wind through or rustles too noisly.

Further, whats the point of a wind layer Under the insulating layers?  The wind will still whip away the heat trapped outside the windproof underlayers.

So if anyone has a great, quiet windproof Outer layer garment that is quiet, I'm all ears.  I mean it, please let me know.

Not an outer layer, try a cold water scuba diving suit. They are meant to deal with ice cold water.

Snowboarding gear. I say snowboarding because it's designed to allow for more movement then skiing gear. It will keep you warm riding the lift in 40 MPH wind in a blizzard, it should keep you warm in a tree stand. Actually is water and wind proof. Just buy a basic shirt and pants in camo pattern of choice, in a size to allow for the under garments

Or, again, enclosed blind of any form with a small heater. The wind is a bad bad thing 20 feet up a tree with nothing to protect you from the elements.

Body usually stays warm it is my hands & feet that get cold so I carry hand warmers & I have a dragonfire heated grip for my bow as that hand always gets cold first & hopefully my ThermaCell heated insoles arrive soon than I should be good to go

One thing i realized is if your core is colder, it starts to take heat from your hands and feet. 

Try eating small snacks every once in a while. The act of your body metabolizing the food and converting it into energy releases heat that warms up the body. Also if you have to pee, don't be afraid to let it loose because your body uses precious hear to make sure urine and feces are warm. 

• Like 1

Something else I recently tried was the heat pads that you wrap around your body. You can buy them in CVS or any other similar store. I put one on my lower bac/kidney area, and another on my chest, close to my heart

Give them a try...

Also any of the other tricks mentioned.

• Like 1

I almost forgot a good seat cushion! Insulate your butt and don't lean against a cold tree without a buffer these things steal heat

It could be 45 - 50 degrees out but if it was freezing overnight , I guarantee that tree is still freezing and leaning against it will suck the warmth right out of you !

• Like 1

I don't wear a hat to my stand and I wear a thing moisture wicking shirt. your only cold for a few minutes. I put on my thermal pants and poly pro pants over that and top it off with some loose sweatpants and a pair of thin camo overalls at the car. (overalls help keep the wind from getting up my backside).

my legs don't get to sweaty after the walk and since everything is moisture wicking if it does its dry fast enough for me not to be to cold.

after I get in my stand I get dressed while strapped to the tree. I always change into a fresh moisture wicking base layer shirt. then put my poly top on over my thermal shirt then put on a camo poly shirt with a fleece over that and add an  insulated parka over that depending.

a trick I found works great is to put your rain gear on then put a layer over that. cuts the wind down completely and holds all your heat in.

• Like 1

Something else I recently tried was the heat pads that you wrap around your body. You can buy them in CVS or any other similar store. I put one on my lower bac/kidney area, and another on my chest, close to my heart

Give them a try...

Also any of the other tricks mentioned.

Tested out your way using my toe warmers and stuck two pair on me, two on my back and two on my chest. Definitely helped a bit! Gotta refine the placement but it was a start

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Tested out your way using my toe warmers and stuck two pair on me, two on my back and two on my chest. Definitely helped a bit! Gotta refine the placement but it was a start

use the ones intended for your back, Just make sure non-scented, def help. Put on lower back near or on kidneys, they move blood around, hence may warm it a bit

use the ones intended for your back, Just make sure non-scented, def help. Put on lower back near or on kidneys, they move blood around, hence may warm it a bit

One thing i realized is if your core is colder, it starts to take heat from your hands and feet.

Try eating small snacks every once in a while. The act of your body metabolizing the food and converting it into energy releases heat that warms up the body. Also if you have to pee, don't be afraid to let it loose because your body uses precious hear to make sure urine and feces are warm.

Bingo! The body's survival instinct kicks in when it gets cold and starts to shut down blood flow to the extremities ,that's why the heat patch on the kidneys works so well,the body says "I got toasty warm blood in my torso,no reason to slow down blood flow to my digits and tootsies."

• Like 1

Carry in your bulky outer layer so you don't overheat walking in. Give yourself enough time to take multiple breaks as well. I take 4 breaks walking into a spot that only takes 15 minutes to get into if I casually walked the entire way. Don't wear anything cotton, don't wear your hat until you are on stand, and you need to make sure you have a layer a that blocks the wind.

At least that's what works for me. My hands and feet still get cold though, can't quite figure that one out.

Carry in your bulky outer layer so you don't overheat walking in. Give yourself enough time to take multiple breaks as well. I take 4 breaks walking into a spot that only takes 15 minutes to get into if I casually walked the entire way. Don't wear anything cotton, don't wear your hat until you are on stand, and you need to make sure you have a layer a that blocks the wind.

At least that's what works for me. My hands and feet still get cold though, can't quite figure that one out.

My hands always get cold and start to dry out and crack and bleed every time it gets below mid 40s or so. Thank you frostbite! The bad frostbite was now 8 years ago and as soon as we get regular 50°F or lower goodbye nice hands, hello dry bleeding hands. Oh well, those are the foolish mistakes one makes when they are 18

Had the same issue. Got one of those muffs quarterba ks use and it works great with light gloves. Ordered some insulated boot covers this year. Actually was gonna make my own just never got around to it so i oreded em. Will make some for my boys now since i got the material

• Like 1

Body usually stays warm it is my hands & feet that get cold so I carry hand warmers & I have a dragonfire heated grip for my bow as that hand always gets cold first & hopefully my ThermaCell heated insoles arrive soon than I should be good to go

dragonfire grip sounds good.  i don't hold onto the bow as often as i should in a stand because grip is so cold.  Has anyone esle tried one of these?

• Like 1

dragonfire grip sounds good.  i don't hold onto the bow as often as i should in a stand because grip is so cold.  Has anyone esle tried one of these?

I don't hunt from a stand. I always am on the ground a lot of still / spot & stalk so my hand is on my bow 99% of the time

drawback of it is the batteries last about 3 hours on med heat so I don't leave it on all the time

everyone i talk to thinks i am crazy for buying the expensive sitka stuff... guess what I am not too cold anymore. spend he money on good gear and you wont be cold...even the outfitter wool stuff with the wind block from cabelas works great. good gear is some of the best money i have even spent.  I hate early season hunting and generally do not have much time so i tend to hunt later when its cold and have learned to spend the money on good stuff.  I also worked deck on winter fishing boats....you learn real quick the cheap layers  make better rags then insulation

layers and definitley dress at the stand. if im hiking uphill to unt i pack all my coats on my climber and actually climb the hill shirtless. When i get to the top, sweating my face off. i towel off with a small towel and put it in a grory bag at base of my tree. Then proceed to get dressed once ive cooled down and then climb the tree

One trick I use is a set of toasty toes for each foot. Over the first sock, over my toes not under the another by the arch. Sock over with a good set of boots. Once your in stand don't let your head get cold keep your ears by your head. Snotcicles, deal with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My hands always get cold and start to dry out and crack and bleed every time it gets below mid 40s or so. Thank you frostbite! The bad frostbite was now 8 years ago and as soon as we get regular 50°F or lower goodbye nice hands, hello dry bleeding hands. Oh well, those are the foolish mistakes one makes when they are 18

I get the cracked hands in the cold as well but mine comes from washing my hands 42 times a day with the white industrial soap with the grit in it. Sucks

One trick I use is a set of toasty toes for each foot. Over the first sock, over my toes not under the another by the arch. Sock over with a good set of boots. Once your in stand don't let your head get cold keep your ears by your head. Snotcicles, deal with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

So basically making a toe warmer sandwich. I like it! I've been putting them under my toes and they've been making my feet too hot and sweaty, will try your way next time I'm able to get out there