So I got a new neighbor

Buckmaster7600

I'm 6'2" and purposely space my tree steps very far apart for the last 5 minutes I have been watching this guy trying to do "pull-ups" trying get into my stand. This guy stopped and asked if he could hunt my land the day he moved in and I told him no so I will be stopping by his house this evening. But in the meantime this is hilarious!

• Like 5

I'm 6'2" and purposely space my tree steps very far apart for the last 5 minutes I have been watching this guy trying to do "pull-ups" trying get into my stand. This guy stopped and asked if he could hunt my land the day he moved in and I told him no so I will be stopping by his house this evening. But in the meantime this is hilarious!

Why aren't you saying something right now?

I'd be headed over there and offer a warning this time. Next time I would call authorities.

Why would the OP want to ruin his own hunt by doing that ? He knows who the guy is and can handle it later . If the joker finally makes it into the stand he may play hell getting back out of it . 

• Like 1

Why would the OP want to ruin his own hunt by doing that ? He knows who the guy is and can handle it later . If the joker finally makes it into the stand he may play hell getting back out of it . 

Might ruin the hunt for today, what happens next time if the idiot does it and the OP isn't home? The dude might kill a deer the OP has had his eye on. If he was told no once and didn't listen, who's to say he won't do it again even after another warning?

Might ruin the hunt for today, what happens next time if the idiot does it and the OP isn't home? The dude might kill a deer the OP has had his eye on. If he was told no once and didn't listen, who's to say he won't do it again even after another warning?

I don't get riled up over the little stuff if I catch him again I will call the cops he will get a 25$ fine and most likely do it again. You cant let little things bother you. I do this because I enjoy being outdoors not to get stressed Over A holes. I can and will make his life miserable if it continues but certainly not getting stressed and ruin a beautiful hunt over it.

• Like 14

Just curious why you didn't let your neighbor hunt your land, then ask him for the same courtesy to use his land... and start a mutual hunting friendship that would have eliminated all this. I have done that with every neighbor I have had that hunted and it always worked out better. It gave us a chance to talk about a set of rules that kept everything working smoothly on both properties... we would help each other with cutting trails and setting stands... we even hunted together a few times a year.

• Like 1

Just curious why you didn't let your neighbor hunt your land, then ask him for the same courtesy to use his land... and start a mutual hunting friendship that would have eliminated all this. I have done that with every neighbor I have had that hunted and it always worked out better. It gave us a chance to talk about a set of rules that kept everything working smoothly on both properties... we would help each other with cutting trails and setting stands... we even hunted together a few times a year.

It's true, allowing neighbors to hunt your land can also serve as a watchdog service keeping the hoards of trespassers off your property when you are not there. It probably is a good idea to keep on the friendly side with the locals when it is property that you are a non-resident landowner.

However, I have to admit that this guy's first act of hunting doesn't exactly make him out to be of the best of character or someone that you should be making any kinds of deals with .... lol. Perhaps you had a moment of intuition that led you in the right direction.

Have tried this before and no one ever wants to put up the time and money but always wants to hunt over the best food plots and what not. I spend a ton of money and time on my land and I have found it easier to just have it to myself and my brother who hunts a few times a year. My neighbor on the other side who is a distant relative and I used to "share our lands" but he shot multiple "extra" deer and what not and instead of it becoming a fight we agreed to stay on our own sides with a "tracking agreement." It has worked very well for us. I guess I am kind of selfish but I like hunting by myself and not having to worry about others.
  • Like 8

I am also tall and do this with my steps too. I actually had a local, not a neighbor, ask me why my steps were so far apart, it made it hard for him to get in my stand. He did not have permission to hunt. I just laughed at him and told him not to step foot on the property again. I would have taken him out with me if he had ask. I don't give permission for people to hunt on their own, but I will take people out with me and set them up, if they do not have places to hunt or have trouble seeing deer. I just do not want people walking around on their own, screwing up my setups.

• Like 3