Will stomach shot be lethal?

marksman

Maybe to sum it all up,,someone who shoots when it's already dark then has to ask if a stomach shot will kill the deer,, IMO has no business being in the woods ..,

Careful he may have been reading all those past threads on how much great light there is 30 mins before or after legal shoot hours... :rolleyes:

i made plenty mistakes when i was a young bow hunter. the first deer i shot with a bow was defiantly before legal light and wound up with me rushing down from my stand thinking this deer was dead already. i had no knowledge of how a deer dies through blood loss and it takes time. long story short i wound up tracking that deer and grid searching for over 10 hours (never found my first buck). but i did learn a lot that day and being on this site basically tough me most i know now. learn from your mistakes and get back in a stand. cant shoot them from the couch. 

There's a lot of guys out there who take a "could care less" attitude when hunting and looking for wounded deer, and that's what I got out of his narrative......it didn't come across as very responsible.

your 100% correct I was just saying there some that want to chastise the guy just because he may of made a poor decision about his shot, if you read the first post everyone was telling him just to let it lie down and die it then turned sour on his ability's as a hunter

You have a up most obligation to expire all possibility in finding a wounded or down deer regardless of size or sex of animal 

So, some of you have never wounded a deer? Your self restraint and patience were well established on your first hunt? You came out of the gate well trained? Yeah, right. Keep telling yourself that.

So he didn't sugar coat it, or beat around the bush. The guy was honest. It was a bad shot. It happens. He didn't intend to gut shoot the deer.

To the OP, the deer is dead by now. Go look, & look, & look. If / when you find him, thank him for the food he will provide & apologize for making a poor shot. Make your peace within yourself, & disregard the bitch slapping you get on this site. Learn from it & move on. Most of all, when some new hunter tells you about a mistake they made, don't treat them like crap.

Very well stated we need to remember we have all had our diet day out hunting and we all are able to make bad shots. If you think you are perfect and above the possibility of making errors I don't want you anywhere near me or my hunting party u are dangerous

Advice while tracking keep at it many excellent suggestions here one to add while your head is buried on ground looking for sign remember to frequently glance up and around you may be surprised and find him bedded near you. If you don't look up you may jump him and he'll take off again. I would say 8 hours to die is conservative if true abdominal shot could last 3 times that or even longer if didn't his any vascular organs

Good luck let us know how you make out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Careful he may have been reading all those past threads on how much great light there is 30 mins before or after legal shoot hours... :rolleyes:

He also must not of been paying attention in his bow hunter education class ..

I believe shot placement , bad shots and shooting times are all covered ..

But that's ok he's new,,, he doesn't have to follow the rules ..

• Like 1

Lets not assume here....my comment was just a bear poking to a few...his getting dark may still have been legal on a grey wooded hunt.. shot placement I have a perfect understanding of..... and have made not so perfect shots...This is just why at the beginning of the season I gentley cautioned against such posts on the open forum...PM's should be made if advise needed...but here we are :rolleyes:

Forget the chastising were all here to help one another. This young hunter has now learned he made a mistake and will learn from it. He got the fever. It happens. He'll from it and move on. Any luck with the recovery. I live in Suffolk and can assist in tracking if you need any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Sunset on 10-29-15 in Long Island was 5:52...

...and he clearly said he shot at 615pm.  Vey poor decision and is likely why he wounded and most likely lost the buck.  I dont care if he was a new hunter or not.  He should be critisized for this decision 

• Like 1

I'm more surprised at the ignorance of the people who talk about it being "dark" or not. What does the "amount" of light have to do with deer hunting? The law clearly states Sunrise to Sunset. Both of which are a set time for your location every day. The "amount" of light has nothing to do with legal shooting hours. The guy did take a bow/hunter safety course in order to get a license, these types of questions are covered in the course. Including how to handle a gut shot deer. How can he plead ignorance?

• Like 1

I dont think he has ever pleaded ignorance lack of experience,poor judgement of shooting times and probably a good case of buck fever. Has lead up to a new hunter no doubt wishing he didn't ask for help.Had he held back on the time of the shot I wonder how many fellow hunters would still give him this much of a rashing about where he hit the deer.

anyway the bottom line is you have a giving right to do all you can do to locate the downed animal.

Def has to make an effort to locate the deer. Probably not much of an eater at this point. He can get another tag if the meat is bad.  Not faulting his shot placement, happens to most people at one time. Lets flip the tables, hypothetically, he launchs the arrow 15 minutes after sunset, make a good shot, an recovers the deer. Next time will he climb down when he is suppose to or wait that extra 15, 20, 30 min to get a deer? My guess he will stay, after all he got away with it one time. Why not the next season, next season, etc. What if it was the 150 inch monster you've been hunting for 2 yrs and your neighbor waits that extra 20 mins past legal shooting to kill him. You gonna congratulate them when you've been following the law to get him? Sorry about the rant. JMO

• Like 2

I dont think he has ever pleaded ignorance lack of experience,poor judgement of shooting times and probably a good case of buck fever. Has lead up to a new hunter no doubt wishing he didn't ask for help.Had he held back on the time of the shot I wonder how many fellow hunters would still give him this much of a rashing about where he hit the deer.

anyway the bottom line is you have a giving right to do all you can do to locate the downed animal.

I wouldn't have given him any rashing if he didn't say the time ,, because I would of thought it was shot legally ..

What he did is called poaching, it's no different than sitting over a bait pile or shining a spot light in a field and shooting a deer at night..

I've wounded my fair share of animals over the years ,, but I have always gave my best to recover them,, and it wasn't because of shooting after hours,, and shooting a bow in low light conditions is a recipe for a badly placed shot..

• Like 1

I would hope he went out and looked under every blow down and rock but I do still think it was a case of buck fever that got him into this to start with you know your first buck hanging out of your comfortable range so you wait him out is it right or legal to shoot after sunset no but people make decisions that are not always right or ethical when excited.

yes your right and as i said humans make poor judgements when excited, but also this post started out asking for help then turned to a lesson of laws its a little to late for legalities to help I think he will make the needed corrections and has no doubt learned where not to look for help!!

I would hope he went out and looked under every blow down and rock but I do still think it was a case of buck fever that got him into this to start with you know your first buck hanging out of your comfortable range so you wait him out is it right or legal to shoot after sunset no but people make decisions that are not always right or ethical when excited.

He probably wouldn't have "buck fever", had he left his stand when legal hours was over. Sometimes it's the choices we make in life that puts us in the situations we are in. I'm no saint, but I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with a hunter that the mindset that he has. The rules are written clearly, and he's failed to follow them twice in 2 years. Some people feel rules don't apply to them.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I wonder how many times the same comment has to be repeated over and over before the point has been made that shooting-hour restrictions should be obeyed. We're into 4 pages of telling this guy what a scumbag he is for shooting after hours. Is that enough, or should we do an additional 4 pages. What does it take to make him leave and never post here again .... I assume that is the goal of all this piling on. Hey, maybe if we make him feel bad enough he will quit hunting altogether. Maybe then we can all feel great about our little contribution to law and order.

• Like 5