Posting my property

DVRBowHunter

I was wondering if there is a software I could use to help post my land. I own 52 acres and around all the fields I have it posted but we have around 10 acres that are in the woods and it's hard to find property lines. I know there is a hunting club close by in those woods and I believe some of the land they use belongs to me. I want to post in the woods because I had 2 metal stands stolen from locals I believe but I'm not sure....basically I want more stands in the woods and I can't place any until I know my property lines. Any suggestions?

A surveyor....

Also build your self some wooden ladder stands..very easy to build ....You can make them big and comfy and they last years and years....They are WAY too heavy to move ..though I still chain mine....but best ladder stand I have...PS took Mr B. me and a tractor to put up...but a couple of guys and a winch would do the job....And it NEVER SQUEAKS

Don't think farting around in the woods building elaborate wooden stands this time a year is a stellar idea. Keep in mind, be careful fastening wooden stands to trees. They sway ,even the biggest trees, Loostening your fasteners whatever you may have used. Use a climber this year if you have it and think about permanent on the off season.

Town hall perhaps may have the lay of your land and may help.

• Like 2

Actually not..building blinds the last few years and always double checking tree built stands Thats what a smart person does....my ladder stand never needs any work. For one thing with such a stand one can make it wide  enough to go against a very large stable tree...one the wind can't rock you out of.. ;)

• Like 1

I think you want a surveyor to lay things out for you. That gives it all some credible authority. Walk along with him marking trees as you go. It sounds like you are only doing a partial, and hopefully the cost will reflect that. Once the line is established and marked, get some good quality aluminum signs each mounted on it's own board (pressure treated 1/4" plywood works well), and you will establish a permanent and clear marker on the land to eliminate any controversies. It will last a whole bunch of years with just a minimum of maintenance. I have a general rule that no matter where you are standing along the boundary, you can see at least 3 consecutive signs. That is way more restrictive than you legally have to do, but again, it is cheaper to overdo the job than to be worrying about and arguing with trespassers because you took the cheap way out. I know that anyone who trespasses on my property willfully did so.

• Like 1

Do you have a smart phone? Or even on a computer ~~ download Zillow real estate app or look on your computer. It will show you property boundaries if you zoom in. That's how I've found many property stakes and settled a few disputes. I have the onyx app also but it's a 30$ app but nice to give you the names of property owners. Excepcialy backing up to a hunting club I would secure that line

Do you have a smart phone? Or even on a computer ~~ download Zillow real estate app or look on your computer. It will show you property boundaries if you zoom in. That's how I've found many property stakes and settled a few disputes. I have the onyx app also but it's a 30$ app but nice to give you the names of property owners. Excepcialy backing up to a hunting club I would secure that line

I was wondering if there is a software I could use to help post my land. I own 52 acres and around all the fields I have it posted but we have around 10 acres that are in the woods and it's hard to find property lines. I know there is a hunting club close by in those woods and I believe some of the land they use belongs to me. I want to post in the woods because I had 2 metal stands stolen from locals I believe but I'm not sure....basically I want more stands in the woods and I can't place any until I know my property lines. Any suggestions?

If they are that close the only reliable solution is an accurate survey with boundaries marked, usually with surveyor pins at the corners and flagging along the lines.

Town tax maps are NOT reliable, mine showed a small 2 acre square projecting into the adjacent property I thought I owned when actually it protruded into mine, it was his extra two acres not mine as shown on town tax map.  My surveyor came up with an extra 3 1/2 acres along an old highway (1800's) that was mine an I didn't know it.

My landlord just got taxed on an extra 20 acres he didn't know he had (owns 670) when an adjacent landowner had his surveyed.  

The "apps" use town tax maps not rod and chain property deed descriptions so they are just as inaccurate when your getting down to 2-10 acres of adjoining lands or so.

Have it surveyed, "blaze" the trees along the flagged lines or put in post or stakes where  no trees exist (I pounded in those green metal fence posts you get at TSC).

And be prepared to show the survey to adjoining landowners, plenty of people "think" they know their lines, but the deeds are the final word.

Edited by Jaeger

Taxaps and the apps get you close but aren't accurate. I have seen many tax maps that are not correct. Take it from a surveyor if you want to post property correctly get a surveyor.

it can get you close. but i'd never use it to decide if a tree is either in or out.

Maybe get the adjoining hunting club to help out so that you are both absolutely on the same page as to where the boundries are... maybe share the surveying cost.. worth a shot before going at it alone. Might be a better idea than just surprising them with a gangland of new posted signs. Just a thought.

• Like 3

Maybe get the adjoining hunting club to help out so that you are both absolutely on the same page as to where the boundries are... maybe share the surveying cost.. worth a shot before going at it alone. Might be a better idea than just surprising them with a gangland of new posted signs. Just a thought.

This is something that works out to the mutual benefit of both parties. They may share your interest in firming up that boundary and may very well split the surveying cost. It's been done before. It also emphasizes the fact that you are not trying to pull a "gotcha" on them. Better neighbor relations.

• Like 3

Over the years I have bought surveys for several parcels that I have owned.  I always pay a bit more and have the surveyor place a metal "T" post at each corner and also place a "T" post every 300 feet or so along each property line.

This is always money well spent since the rebar they pound into the ground has a way of getting 'lost' after it is covered with leaves/branches/grass/brush/etc.

FYI I just had a piece I bought surveyed. This is 10 acres that borders me so I know two corners. The surveyor only marked the corners and placed an additional two ribbons along the back and down my side. I thought by looking at the tax maps that the property was a rectangle pretty much in proportion. When I was up two weeks ago I found the other two markers and it seems as though the back end of the property is much smaller than the front. So now I wait for the actual survey map to double check. When I say smaller it has to be at least 2-300 feet shorter.