Quite impressed with my rifled slugs in Mossberg 500

Core

I have a new 500 with a 28" ported field barrel. I have a $30 TruGlu optical sight on it without magnification. I've barely fired this shotgun and haven't spent much time with firearms in general.

I took it to the range today and after some basic sighting in, using the high velocity 7/8 ounce Remington 1800 FPS rifled slugs I was getting what I consider to be amazing groups for a smooth bore. I took a picture of the target and at 50 yards I had a 1" group with 3 slugs. I then went to 75 yards and had a 2" group with 3. I then went to 100 yards. This time I only shot two slugs because seriously the freaking recoil. But those two slugs hit 1" away from each other.

Somebody had shot the target with a rifle prior to me borrowing it. Some of the holes wildly off target were while sighting, so can be ignored.

The 75 yard group I missed by the most so I still have to tweak the sight.

But this isn't about me, or the optics. I'm just really pleased that this thing has proven it is a capable slug gun up to 100 yards :)

post-6443-0-44885700-1447271148_thumb.pn

Edited by Core
  • Like 4

For sighting in, try folding up a bath towel and placing it on your shoulder before mounting the shotgun.  This is especially helpful when you're shooting off a bench, where your body is not at a good angle and can't move as well with the recoil.  Believe me, it helps a lot, and won't affect the accuracy of your shooting.

synthetic stock or wood stock ?  My moss 500AT is old and wood stock , i replace the butt pad

with a nice 1 inch one and filled the butt stock mounting hole with lead shot .. WOW what a difference. now it don't kick like a mule and bruise your shoulder after 4 slugs. this gun has sat in the closet for

20 yrs because i hated the recoil ..

a key with sighting hard recoiling rounds is to only shoot a few shots at a time...sometimes tough with limited range time/access. With my 45/70, as someone else mentioned, fold a towel and lay it on your shoulder for extra padding...not too much, or it can throw you off. Then I fire one, maybe two groups. it is a lot easier to concentrate also if you know you only are touching off a few rounds.

Remember, in the field youwill probably be wearing heavier clothes that will pad you.

For sighting in, try folding up a bath towel and placing it on your shoulder before mounting the shotgun.  This is especially helpful when you're shooting off a bench, where your body is not at a good angle and can't move as well with the recoil.  Believe me, it helps a lot, and won't affect the accuracy of your shooting.

I should try this.

The stock is I think synthetic. It does have a tiny pad that comes from the factory but it isn't worth much nor terribly squishy.

Shoulder still hurts today.

Yeah, I will put something else there to pad it next time. That lead sled on amazon looks good!

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

Or invest in a lead sled. I bought one on black friday and although I only use it a few times a year it was well worth the money. Sighting in the .270, 20 gauge 870, .243 and 30-06 all at the same time makes my shoulder feel much better at the end. 

• Like 2

I may or may not have heard of some other guy....., who once used the best thing available at the time to combat 12ga recoil.

It was a spare diaper from the glove box in the truck! It was summertime, so I ( I mean that guy ) had to try to put it in one's shirt while nobody else would see. 

I may or may not have heard of some other guy....., who once used the best thing available at the time to combat 12ga recoil.

It was a spare diaper from the glove box in the truck! It was summertime, so I ( I mean that guy ) had to try to put it in one's shirt while nobody else would see.

Do I wear the diaper ?

• Like 1

This was from sighting in my little Hawken last year. I got carried away, & a little obsessive trying to get perfect groups. Anyone who says muzzleloaders don't kick, hasn't shot one like mine. Not sure what's up with the bruising on my arm, since the pain was in my shoulder. Maybe the blood leaked down and collected there?

post-1188-0-35400600-1447815084_thumb.jp

This was from sighting in my little Hawken last year. I got carried away, & a little obsessive trying to get perfect groups. Anyone who says muzzleloaders don't kick, hasn't shot one like mine. Not sure what's up with the bruising on my arm, since the pain was in my shoulder. Maybe the blood leaked down and collected there?

Holy moly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not take that diaper out for a hunt? Pre-soak it with deer urine as well, all the deer will be on you plus your shoulder gets babied.

As far as that Hawken sighting picture, damn!

Which way were you pointing it??!