De knocking arrow

Dave

I see the unloading after every hunt as an advantage over a regular bow because it gives you continuous in-season practice. That is something many conventional archers neglect much to their peril when it comes to wounding or missing deer.    

I just point it at a pile of dirt and pray to god nothing bad happens....so far, so good.......do you really feel the need to take a dig at conventional archers in every one of your nonsensical posts? 

• Like 4

Throw some old towels/sweatshirts/rags in a small burlap/nylon bag and tie it closed with a piece of string.   Shoot a fieldpoint into it to unload.   this is cheaper, lighter, and much easier to pull the bolts out of than a foam block target.   To keep the center from getting worn, open it up and stir the rags around from time to time.  Last year I carried a block, but this works much better.   I see the unloading after every hunt as an advantage over a regular bow because it gives you continuous in-season practice. That is something many conventional archers neglect much to their peril when it comes to wounding or missing deer.    

if you want thump your Bible and suck on your crossbow like it's some kind of phallic symbol, that's fine....but why do you feel the need to denigrate the conventional archer in all of your posts? if you don't like it, that's fine, but why be disrespectful to the others if it serves no purpose?

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Throw some old towels/sweatshirts/rags in a small burlap/nylon bag and tie it closed with a piece of string. Shoot a fieldpoint into it to unload. this is cheaper, lighter, and much easier to pull the bolts out of than a foam block target. To keep the center from getting worn, open it up and stir the rags around from time to time. Last year I carried a block, but this works much better. I see the unloading after every hunt as an advantage over a regular bow because it gives you continuous in-season practice. That is something many conventional archers neglect much to their peril when it comes to wounding or missing deer.

So you're one of those guys not good enough to shoot a man's bow it seems. How would you know what's conventional archer does?

You wanna say something stupid, that was one for ya.

Shooting an arrow into a towel n discharging into it imo would be pretty hideous practice, how far do you set it? Do you shoot for the vitals? Aim for a tiny spot on the towel or just the whole thing like a beginner? Do you do this in the dark? If so n you miss at practice yardsge which I'm sure you're perfect enough not to, how do you know a little kid isn't cutting through the farm trying to get home n in now harms way? Know your target n beyond. Maybe you come out during legal light n can see well enough to be sure it's safe. Afraid of the dark? You wanna say stupid stuff people can say stupid things back.

No offense to the other crossbow folks. I'm sure your crossbows are manly

Edited by Bowguy 1

Throw some old towels/sweatshirts/rags in a small burlap/nylon bag and tie it closed with a piece of string.   Shoot a fieldpoint into it to unload.   this is cheaper, lighter, and much easier to pull the bolts out of than a foam block target.   To keep the center from getting worn, open it up and stir the rags around from time to time.  Last year I carried a block, but this works much better.   I see the unloading after every hunt as an advantage over a regular bow because it gives you continuous in-season practice. That is something many conventional archers neglect much to their peril when it comes to wounding or missing deer.    

Says the guy who needs a scope and a locking device to keep his bow at full draw.

Excaliburs and strykers it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a crossbow guy but is Stryker the ones made by Bowtech? Or is striker a company? If it's Bowtech be careful, they make good stuff imo except from what I've seen, crossbows.

Don't know how well they work but in classes I've seen as many as 2 out of 3 break. They seem prone to failure. Least In my experience they are. Id say almost any other crossbow breaks less. Again limited experience, none shooting them but when I test guys using them they're failure prone

I'm not a crossbow guy but is Stryker the ones made by Bowtech? Or is striker a company? If it's Bowtech be careful, they make good stuff imo except from what I've seen, crossbows.

Don't know how well they work but in classes I've seen as many as 2 out of 3 break. They seem prone to failure. Least In my experience they are. Id say almost any other crossbow breaks less. Again limited experience, none shooting them but when I test guys using them they're failure prone

Stryker is owned by bowtech as is Excalibur. Failures will happen with every Xbow, there is a lot of stress on many parts. I bought a Stryker and I have about 200 shots on it now and no problems yet.

In my opinion the quality of a product is second only to customer service and in my experience bowtech is second to none, time will tell because mine will be shot a lot more than the average person and if they are not a good product I will know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never dealt w Bowtech customer service but shot their bows for years. It's good they're on the game there cause as stated the failure rate seems high. Like from what I'm seeing 3-4 times higher than every other company combined. Hope they got it straightened out. Plus the finish issues needed to be addressed

As I said nothing scientific. Just got to the point where I was expecting issues, remember they only need to shoot 3 good arrows n get 5 arrows to get that done. It's only 20 yards n should be easy n only take 3.

The worst day ever 3 guys were down to 1 crossbow n we let em share just to finish test. They were brand new. That isn't only occasion it was fairly common.

I believe the finish was coming off quite a few n they discontinued them a bit to fix that issue so maybe they handled both. They gotta know what the issues were

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2015 at 2:40 PM, jjb4900 said:

Transportation of Firearms

A person may not transport or possess a shotgun, rifle or crossbow in or on a motor vehicle unless the firearm is unloaded in both chamber and magazine or the crossbow is unloaded or taken down. A loaded firearm may be carried or possessed in a motorboat while legally hunting migratory game birds.

A muzzleloader is considered unloaded when the cap is off the nipple, the primer is removed, the primer powder is removed from the flintlock pan, or the battery is not in an electric-fired muzzleloader.

A crossbow is considered unloaded when it is uncocked. A crossbow is considered taken down when the limbs have been removed from the stock, securely fastened in a case, or locked in a trunk.

you are correct!!!

damn.  I was going to bring some guns when we go east and maybe hunt in Vermont NY and MA but the hell with it, I'll end up in jail. we never unload guns here.

I'm getting a  great education on the crossbows from you all, thank you very much!

I'm narrowing my choices down.

21 minutes ago, slickrockpack said:

damn.  I was going to bring some guns when we go east and maybe hunt in Vermont NY and MA but the hell with it, I'll end up in jail. we never unload guns here.

I'm getting a  great education on the crossbows from you all, thank you very much!

I'm narrowing my choices down.

wouldn't it be easier to just unload the guns as opposed to cancelling you trip plans?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I don't own a crossbow but have a question . Instead of spending money on any discharge bolts , couldn't one just cut and modify a wooden dowel to serve the same purpose ? Would something like that work ? It would be pretty inexpensive . 

I'd be afraid of it splintering or shattering, I'd rather waste a bolt.....would you shoot a dowel out of your compound bow?