Scent Control

noodle one

What do you use for scent control and how do you use it? What about cover scent, what do you use and how?

First I want to tell you that I bow hunt off the ground, not in a treestand and I need to be extra careful with scent control.

I found that baking soda works the best for me. About one month before bow season, I wash all my hunting clothes with baking soda and put them in a large plastic garbage bag and then I cut some pine branches and put them in with the clothes and seal the bag until hunting season. On the days that I hunt ,I take a shower with non-scented soap and then I use baking soda just like I would a body powder and put it all over myself and in my hair. When dressing I put baking soda in my hat and a little in each pocket, I also put some in my boots. I always play the wind. I have had many deer within (5) yards of me and never spook,  this year I took my buck at (15) fifteen yards as I sat in a downed tree top. I have taken many deer with my bow and I won't shoot at one over (20) tweny yards. To me this is the most exciting way to take deer with a bow, on the ground, eye ball to eye ball and up close.

I don't use cover scent all the tme, but when I do,I use red fox pee and carry a small bag of Q'Tips and dip then in the fox pee and set them out (5 to 10) feet all the way around myself, some high and some low. This is what I have found that workes best for me.

So come on and tell us what you use and how.

I follow a similar routine as above with personal preferences not withstanding, but one thing that I pay extra attention to is when parking your truck at the hunting site. I turn the truck off as soon as I park and do not let it idle. I usually wait a minute before getting out and changing into hunting clothes.

The exhaust fumes can and will contaminate your scent prep if you don't watch it. Makes all the work undone. Don't believe me, try it and doa  sniff test....worst part is it's usually your boots or pants that are stunk up the most.

Ultimately, regardless of my prep...hunt wind....in the stand, going to it, and exiting.

Like mentioned above, I do about the same things.  The only thing I might add is using Team Fitzgerald Deer Dander. I go through about three bottles of the stuff. I have actually led bucks to my stand. Use it on the ground and in ground blinds. Spray it on my boots upon entry into the hunting fields and let it do the job. Ok  I'm done sounding like a commercial.  lol

• 2 weeks later...

I keep my hunting clothes in a separate foot locker and use scent free detergent for cleaning and hang dry outside. 

Best scent is "Absence of.." But I do use T14 from Scent Shield, a lady here in our area, comes to the the local archery shop every so often and buys the stuff by the case, she operates a dog kennel and since this stuff is anti-microbal, it kills any bacteria as well as scent. I hunt on the ground into the wind and have had 4 bears come within 10 yards of me.. This stuff works. 

Use a wind indicator and keep the wind in your teeth!

I use pretty much all Scent Shield / Scent Blocker products. i love them...

I run a cycle of the scent shield detergent through the wash first with house hold clothes then do another wash just for my hunting gear. use a SB dryer sheet then put them into a sprayed down tinks 69 carbon bag that i air out over night with and then resray a fine mist back inside the bag again before adding my gear back in. i always respray my gear before entering the woods each time too.

you can also take your clothes to be washed at the laundry mat. they have some powerful equipment so i feel safe about adding extra scent detergent lol

Scent control is good, and I practice it (but not to the degree some of you OCD candidates do - LOL), but I also cover my scent with Deer Dander.  Seems to do a pretty good job.

im guilty of the de-scenting OCD clan lol

does the deer daner work for you? i have it in my pack but only used it 2 times. never really got a chance to experiment with it

Scent control is good, and I practice it (but not to the degree some of you OCD candidates do - LOL), but I also cover my scent with Deer Dander.  Seems to do a pretty good job.

does the deer daner work for you? i have it in my pack but only used it 2 times. never really got a chance to experiment with it

Hi Geno...

I'm guilty of OCD too (even take medicine for it) - just not in scent control.  :-\    I do use scent-control products prior to hunting... just not all the time.  I think Deer Dander does work.  I've had deer walk very near where I had previously walked and hunkered down in a tree top just off the trail, and they didn't spook.

i leave my outfit outside weeather premit it :) smell like the fresh air :) will leave it out there for 2 or 3 days .

That's all I do anymore. Hunting clothes get hung outside under an overhang after every hunt no matter what the weather and never see the indoors the entire season....yup, not even for a ride in the washin machine. Just like going through the whole de-scenting process.....works sometimes....sometimes fails.

As far as personal hygene, just the same as any other day. I do switch to unscented Arm and Hammer Deoderant and give a few swipes to non-armpit trouble areas bacteria tend to target, but that's about all the change I make to my routine.

I have never tried the Team Fitzgerald's Deer Dander but everything I have heard about the product has been positive .

•  
  • Smell like a deer 
  • Disguises your scent 
  • Use on clothing, gear, treestand

Totally unique, Deer Dander makes you smell like the deer you pursue. It effectively disguises your scent rather than trying to eliminate it. Spray it on your hands, clothing, tree stand, blind, and forget about the wind. Comes in a 4-oz. spray bottle.

Hi Geno...

I'm guilty of OCD too (even take medicine for it) - just not in scent control.  :-\    I do use scent-control products prior to hunting... just not all the time.  I think Deer Dander does work.  I've had deer walk very near where I had previously walked and hunkered down in a tree top just off the trail, and they didn't spook.

ill have to try it more this year and see some results. i like to experiment with scents

I very seldom use any scent control..In fact, I usually have a cigar in my mouth when I'm hunting.. but then again i hunt from the ground where I can play the wind most times.. I have killed numerous (11) big bucks without any scent control what so ever... that doesn't mean I'm against using scent blocker products.. they definitely have their place in hunting.. especially treestand hunting with a bow... and I cannot say that I might not have killed more big bucks if I used scent control.. I just have never found it a problem going without..

• 2 weeks later...

the uvkiller wash for clothes- as much time on a line outside as possible

chepaest hunter scentfree soap and shampoo as possible. My big tricks are chlorophyll tablets (cheap online) from sept-nov and using a loofa sponge. The loofa removes dead skin cells....that is a large contributor of trackability.

Boots in indigenous leaves grasses..mayeb some rabbit/deer pellets

IMO- coverscents and scent lok are a total waist. I worked in an inudstry that used carbon for water filtration and I can assure you- it is not making a difference.

tried the beesmoker cover scent idea before- had decent results but had curiousity interest too....and i am into being stealth....not stalked. I am alos not a meat hunter when it comes to bucks.  :;)