It's over

nodeerhere

Well guys congrats on all the deer harvested this bow season! Now the gun season starts! Sorry but I'm not real happy about it. I love bow season, quiet, deer moving on there own, might sit a time or two without seeing a deer but most of the time u see sumthing. It's total opposite during gun. Looking forward to spring now. Fishing and food plots.

I hunted Gun only for almost 25 years....I had no idea what I was missing.....I am going to miss bow season but I can't say I am not looking forward till tomorrow. All the guys will be at the lease that I haven't seen since last year and someone almost always gets a nice deer...Hopefully this year it will be me.....!!!

• Like 2

Over...nothing is over!...do you remember when... (Animal House movie reference)

I, too, love the bow season. I will pick up the gun (muzzleloader) for a couple of spots during the regular and late season I hunt, but others are still bow only because I don't have more than a 30 yd. shot or it is too close to houses to shoot a gun as opposed to bow.

I am fortunate to  be able to hunt in Westchester County where it is bow only. Their season runs until December 31, so I finish my season up down there. Tough hunting with the bow when it is in the teens, but very rewarding that I'm still getting it done with the bow.

Each weapon has it's time. Now it is time for you to exact your revenge on all those deer that were just out of bow-range .... Ha-ha-ha. Enjoy whatever season that is put in front of you. My nice new rifle also has its fun aspects. I enjoy it all. As Fred Bear used to say, "Be a two-season hunter". The old guy had it right.

• Like 4

I hunted Gun only for almost 25 years....I had no idea what I was missing.....I am going to miss bow season but I can't say I am not looking forward till tomorrow. All the guys will be at the lease that I haven't seen since last year and someone almost always gets a nice deer...Hopefully this year it will be me.....!!!

Same for me. I put so much more time in the woods since I started bow hunting 3 years ago. I wish I would have started earlier in my life.

• Like 1

My first time ever hunting I used my friends 30-30 lever action. I had put in many a weekend scouting and was all set for the gun opener. I shot a doe and 3 seconds later the buck that was following her that I did not know was there, I shot two deer in 3 seconds and my season was over. That was 25 years ago and I never used a firearm to hunt deer ever again, it's been bow and arrow from my second season till my 25th. I have taken well over 50 deer with my bow partly because I have hunted in NJ last 15 years which has an unlimited bag limit on doe. No better rush than up close and personal with a whitetail... doe or buck.

Each weapon has it's time. Now it is time for you to exact your revenge on all those deer that were just out of bow-range .... Ha-ha-ha. Enjoy whatever season that is put in front of you. My nice new rifle also has its fun aspects. I enjoy it all. As Fred Bear used to say, "Be a two-season hunter". The old guy had it right.

Not surprisingly Doc nailed it again.

+100

If you agree with Doc and myself be damned thankful for what NYS has going for it; nice long seasons and the opportunity to kill two bucks and multiple antlerless deer.

The DEC is doing some tweaking now that many including myself aren't thrilled about but they'll get things squared away I bet.

For you guys whom like myself love to bow hunt and have a tough time getting into gun hunting try handgun hunting. Other than in the ADK's "where I don't think more of a challenge is needed" I only gun hunt with my pistol it's so much fun having to limit myself to 50yds and having another weapon that takes year round practise to become proficient with. I have only killed 1 doe in 3 years of trying with it so far and am having so much fun with it. It is very similar to when I first started bow hunting 15 years ago.

Edited by Buckmaster7600

For you guys whom like myself love to bow hunt and have a tough time getting into gun hunting try handgun hunting. Other than in the ADK's "where I don't think more of a challenge is needed" I only gun hunt with my pistol it's so much fun having to limit myself to 50yds and having another weapon that takes year round practise to become proficient with. I have only killed 1 doe in 3 years of trying with it so far and am having so much fun with it. It is very similar to when I first started bow hunting 15 years ago.

I don't think it's having a tough time, just a sadness it's gone. Like others have said, I cut my teeth on gun, many great memories of friends and family. More of a social time for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hunt Bow and Gun. I find that deer can be seen in gun after the opener. You need to hunt a few weekdays and observe what are often very consistent deer movement patterns in the evenings.

This is how I got my last years Buck. I figured out that deer where often passing through a section of woods at almost the same time each afternoon. I went out, sat inside some hemlocks, and 10 minutes later my buck came through right on time. You have to come down from the trees though and move around. Forget stand hunting during gun. It is a waste of time.

I have taken several deer with blk powder pistols, lots of fun but even that gets old... waiting for spear to be legal...