Know your lines

chemonkey86

Got to love when you and the wife go out hunting on your own property only to have someone sitting on the line that borders on side start yelling that you are trespassing. No sir I am not at the line yet only to be argued with more. Note, property line on that side has a logging road and a fence line right along the line. Come to find out it was someone with permission to hunt the land from out of the area... Side note, I understand NY may have changed the laws on wearing orange but when you know there are other ppl nearby make yourself visible not full camo or camo coat and blue jeans in thick cover.. it's people like this that give city slickers a bad rap. End rant... Hope everyone else had a pleasurable opening weekend mine however not so much.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

So enlighten me Jj what's so hard to understand..... Seems you just creep through everyone's post to nit pick them apart insult anyone you have different opinions with and keep yourself on the high altar you feel you belong. Not one post you have commented on has had anything posative as a reply. Don't like what I say you have no obligation to read or comment. Let me try to make it more understandable for the hard readers, went out back, walked out near the property line but not all the way to it. A guy starts yelling g that my wife is trespassing when clearly we know we are not as we are 50 yards or better from the line that is clearly marked by a dug road, metal fence, and posted signs. After a few mi urea of looking for the voice I find a guy sitting opposite side of road in full camo, still yelling, being an asshole. We turn walk down hill I get wife settled into a ground blind, blind sits 50 yards off line facing away from it, then guy comes stomping kicking and yelling on phone to someone saying he walked right up to. Well I stay with her as he seems to be out to ruin our hunt and anyone else in the county and do t want to leave her there alone with the nutcase wandering the woods... Hour passes, there he goes again same shit different direction. Decide hunting for today is over go back to house and go over property maps, just to be sure... Then find out the bordering landowner let's a couple guys from the city come up and hunt. I hope this clarifies any misunderstanding you may have had please advise if I should add footnotes or cite any of my work proffesor...

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

• Like 1

While there is no law requiring it wouldn't you think the more the better since we do have our fair share of yahoos out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt comment on that. The OP mentioned some sort of change in the laws regarding blaze orange. For adults, there never has been one unless they are mentoring a youth (as turkeyfeathers pointed out)

I wear camo and an orange hat when I walk to my stand on my own property. a camo hat is put on when i am in my stand. An orange vest is put on when I am still hunting or driving with more than 2 people.... 

I simply will never understand how a person can be mistaken for a deer. 

• Like 2

I wear camo and an orange hat when I walk to my stand on my own property. a camo hat is put on when i am in my stand. An orange vest is put on when I am still hunting or driving with more than 2 people....

Although rare I can happen a hunter unsuccessful for years or a new hunter that thinks they see some movement,anticipation overwhelms them and a non clear shot is fired, it's the same thing that makes a hunter think antlers are bigger than what they are or that a lone fawn is a big deer, lack of experiance. A little common sense and orange while walking is not a bad thing especially knowing people tresspass, other hunters in area,ect.

while in a stand taking it off would kind of make sense, but why bother it let's hunters know your there and you don't get walked up on by hunters who don't see you in a tree.

• Like 1

I don't wear orange in my stand, ever. Not even state land. I don't want people knowing where I am. Trespassers will come in tight enough to identify.

On state land I don't because I've been given shit from people that want to drive the area. They don't know I'm there they drive me deer. I'm not sure how it could be dangerous 15-20 feet in the air.

I'm wearing orange on my way there, for sure.

• Like 1

My family has permission to hunt the neighboring land from the absentee landowner. A couple of years ago, someone else with permission invited his whole church to hunt there. It is packed opening weekend so we backed out due to the pressure and the extreme number of rounds they shoot off when they are there. The first year they hunted, they put a ladder stand over the top of one of our ground blinds (made of natural materials). One year, one came onto another neighbor's land and set up a climbing stand next to another ground blind of ours. At that point I spoke to "Joe" - the one guy who actually has permission. "Joe" didn't even know the guy's name. He was just a church guy he told he could hunt there. "Joe" agreed to pull him back.

Two years back I was speaking to the owner who lives in PA. He rarely comes up. the property was bought as an investment. He asked if my family had been hunting his place. I told him we did but not on the opener because of the crowd. He was quite surprised to hear about the "crowd". He said he had been considering coming up to hunt opening weekend himself. After learning about what was going on, he asked me if I wanted him to tell them they could no longer hunt on his place because of me. I said "no". If he wanted them off, I did not want to be the reason. Some of these guys are neighbors. I had no intention of being the bad guy in this little drama.

Now being a curmudgeon, I walk thru there covered with orange each opening day just to assert my rights. Call me a fool but I am only pushed so far. No one has shot me yet.

This weekend I was spoken to by one of these guys who has third party permission to be there. He said "Joe" was supposed to let him know if anyone else was hunting on the property. I just walked away shaking my head. These guys probably don't even know the owner's name.

This is pretty much what i do as well.

It is kind of scary that so many people are running around out there dressed in camo during gun season. I have heard all kinds of attempts at justifying such nonsense, but have yet to see one that justified risking life and limb over a deer.

Also, unless you are in dead flat country, being 20' in the air in a tree stand is no protection either.

Aside from the obvious benefits to your health and welfare, I find it useful to be seen, to keep people from accidently setting up too close for safety, or in ways that cut deer off from approaching my stand.

How important is that deer anyway. Is it worth having an arm or leg blown into a shattered mess of clots and bone fragments, or worse? Are you really that desperate to get a deer. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I have to say, that's not dedication to the hunt, it's basic stupidity when you consider what's at stake.

• Like 1