Bow/muzzle loader tags

Grizz1219

As long as there is an open late bow season concurrent with the late black powder season he is bow hunting and is fine.

If there is only a bp season open and he does not have a bp privlage paid for/shown on his license, he can't bow hunt.

Remember too, that an unused regular season buck tag is valid as an either sex tag in the late seasons if you already have the bow or muzzleloader privileges.

• Like 2

As long as there is an open late bow season concurrent with the late black powder season he is bow hunting and is fine.

If there is only a bp season open and he does not have a bp privlage paid for/shown on his license, he can't bow hunt.

Remember too, that an unused regular season buck tag is valid as an either sex tag in the late seasons if you already have the bow or muzzleloader privileges.

I didn't know that about the regular season buck tag during ML season. That's good to know.

I was looking into this last year. It get's a bit tricky in certain areas.

Example:

Q: May I use my Regular Season deer tag during the special seasons?
A: Your Regular Season deer tag cannot be used in the Early Bowhunting or Early Muzzleloading seasons. It can only be used in the Regular Deer Seasons in the Northern and Southern Zones to take a buck. Except, the Regular Season deer tag is valid for deer of either sex in Westchester & Suffolk counties, in areas restricted to bowhunting only (WMUs 4J and 8C), and during the late seasons with the appropriate bow or muzzleloading privileges. During the late seasons, the Regular Season deer tag is valid for deer of either sex.

I would drop an email to the DEC for the area you/he will be hunting. That way you have it in black and white. Especially if it's public/state land. In these times it fare better to be safe then sorry.

Rob is right, perhaps I should have been clearer.  The unused regular season buck tag is valid as an either sex tag in the late seasons that follow the regular season.  It cannot be used in an early special bow/muzzleloader season that comes before the regular season in most areas of the state.

Bow only areas, LI,Westchester, etc. are different.

But the question remains, if the OP's friend is useing his bow tag during any open bow season he's ok.  If he is trying to use the bow tag during a muzzleloader only season with a bow, he's not ok.

There is a full page in the guide which lays out the uses for the tags and the exceptions, like using an unused reg. season buck tag in the late seasons.

I'm surprised they worded it as "either sex" since In NY it's either antlered or antlerless. Just one more way for our regs to be confusing

If it's not stated as antler or antler less, why does it matter the wording? Just go word for word and hunt either sex, unless there exists a no sex deer, I think it's pretty clear.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

A friend didn't buy his muzzle loader permit yet... didn't fill his bow tag... can he hunt during the BP dates with his bow on that permit or does he need to buy a BP permit???

I think in most areas of NY, he'll need to purchase a late season privilege in order to hunt. The implements that can be used during late season I believe is muzzleloader or bow. During this late season, you can use all available tags you have, including the regular season tag. I do believe you can use your early season tag as well, but not 100% sure as I've never ran into that situation.

If it's not stated as antler or antler less, why does it matter the wording? Just go word for word and hunt either sex, unless there exists a no sex deer, I think it's pretty clear.

and in certains areas where the new rules were put it in place it is a just a doe tag....

• Like 1

and in certains areas where the new rules were put it in place it is a just a doe tag....

I am willing to bet that a lot of people have forgotten this rule . Most of North Western NY will be doe only during the ML / Late Bow Season . Page 27 of the regs booklet . 

• Like 1

I am willing to bet that a lot of people have forgotten this rule . Most of North Western NY will be doe only during the ML / Late Bow Season . Page 27 of the regs booklet .

That might be something we should start a thread on closer to that date...really a great point that could get over looked

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I think in most areas of NY, he'll need to purchase a late season privilege in order to hunt. The implements that can be used during late season I believe is muzzleloader or bow. During this late season, you can use all available tags you have, including the regular season tag. I do believe you can use your early season tag as well, but not 100% sure as I've never ran into that situation.

Shawnhu,

I believe there is only one bow privilege/tag and one muzzleloader privilege/tag for a license year.  There are no separate tags/licenses for early vs late season bow or muzzleloader seasons.

• Like 2

That isn't correct. There is NO late season privilege to purchase. only a privilege that is valid for all open seasons during the license year.

If he actually expects to have very good success he can by the ML privilege and use hi bow to fill it since those tags are valid with either implement based n the legal weapon map. 

That isn't correct. There is NO late season privilege to purchase. only a privilege that is valid for all open seasons during the license year.

If he actually expects to have very good success he can by the ML privilege and use hi bow to fill it since those tags are valid with either implement based n the legal weapon map.

Isn't the late season the same as the ML privilege?

Shawnhu,

I believe there is only one bow privilege/tag and one muzzleloader privilege/tag for a license year. There are no separate tags/licenses for early vs late season bow or muzzleloader seasons.

My understanding of the SZ licenses are that there are early season(bow) privilege, which comes with an either sex tag, then the regular season license, which comes with a buck tag, and then there's the late season privilege(ML/bow) which comes with its own tag as well.