NY Age Requirements

Tio1

Yesterday was the PA gun opener and I was lucky enough to witness my 13 yr old son shoot a nice 8 pt, (his 3rd buck) at 11:30, and then jump in the stand with my 11 yr old daughter and watch her get her first deer, 3 pt buck.

Wish I could do this in NY. Making a child wait until 14 to harvest a deer with a gun is RIDICULOUS!!

OK - off my soap box. It was a great day.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Making a child wait until 14 to harvest a deer with a gun is RIDICULOUS!!

OK - off my soap box. It was a great day.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Heck, I couldn't hunt deer until I was 16 and didn't shoot one until I was 21. We thought it was normal, not "ridiculous". Oops, I'm showing my age.

• Like 1

I agree that it is ridiculous.  I dont think there should be any age restriction as long as the minor is under the immediate supervision of a responsible adult, even better, legal guardian.  My friends in Texas take their 5 and 6 year olds out in the blinds with them all the time.  Granted, a 5-6 year old is usually not old enough or strong enough to shoulder and safely handle a large bore firearm.  Several 7-8 year olds have taken their first animal down there.

I agree that it is ridiculous.  I dont think there should be any age restriction as long as the minor is under the immediate supervision of a responsible adult, even better, legal guardian.  My friends in Texas take their 5 and 6 year olds out in the blinds with them all the time.  Granted, a 5-6 year old is usually not old enough or strong enough to shoulder and safely handle a large bore firearm.  Several 7-8 year olds have taken their first animal down there.

I agree with you completely. In the state of NY anyone no matter the age can accompany you while you hunt, they just can't posses any type of firearm or bow.

Im sure ill get flamed for this but I cringe when I see those hunting shows set in the south and they have a 5 year old in an orange vest down to their knees shooting a buck out of a shooting house. I dont think the kid even fully understands whats going on at 5. Bring them along, sure, but having them shoot seems silly to me. I think age 10 would be great or even 12

My 4 year old understood exactly what was going on when I took him out this year. He was part of the hunt from beginning to end. Helped set the blind, plant food plots and other land work, learned how to read sign, run trail cams, was in the blind opening morning, watched me shoot 2 does, blood trailed one pretty much by himself and found her, helped with the gutting process, and watched me skin, quarter and process the meat. He loved all of it. Would I put him behind a trigger at 5? Probably not, but at 7 or 8? Absolutely. My daughter has been ready for years, but she has to wait till 12 to get a crack at a deer with a bow, and another 2 until she can go after them with a gun. I can take her out to Colorado next year and she can go after elk, but she cant shoot a deer here at home where she knows the land as well as anyone else that hunts it. This state is ridiculous with the age limits IMO.

• Like 1

My daughter is 13 and I have been taking her turkey scouting since she could barely walk. Finally got her out during the season this year and killed a nice bird on Mother's Day with her there. Deer opener and thanksgiving. She has a Ruger 10/22 40th anniversary/ single shot Cricket .22 and a youth 20 gauge in the safe. She'll be ready in the spring after completing the hunter safety course.

post-4567-0-95892700-1449860629_thumb.jp

post-4567-0-49931400-1449860705_thumb.jp

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

Wow, what a great weekend...I hope your kids remember and cherish those memories. I had to wait until I was 16 to hunt....I didn't think much of it at the time...Just couldn't wait until I was old enough. I agree that the age should be lower if the child is under Adult supervision.