New 22

I have a ruger 22 which is one of my favorite guns. It's a nice wood stock with a stainless steel barrel and receiver. I don't like taking it hunting for the sole fact I don't want to ding it and scratch it up. If you have to buy a 22 for its sole purpose to be a work horse hunting gun which one would you recommend?

I have 3  10/22's. 2 in LR and 1 in 22 mag. great little rifles. Never a single problem with one of them and one is around 30 years old. I agree with the suggestion of getting a plain Jane 10/22 to drag through the woods. Maybe try to find a used one that is already dinged up.

When I first started hunting, I've zeroed my 22LR out to 100 yards and have taken squirrel that far. Of course I also missed a bunch of head shots that were much closer. I've since changed the zero to 50 yards and that will still maintain accuracy out to 75 yards before I notice some drop off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My first .22 was a Mossberg 702 Plinkster. I swore I would never own a Mossberg but I bought one and am happy with it. Mine is a synthetic stock with stainless barrel. It has a hooded or halo front sight and adjustable rear sight. The hooded sight is great and there is no need for a scope. I did put a 4x scope on mine awhile after I owned it and can hit targets at 100yds consistently.

Great value at a good price. Gander has them for $169 for the same as mine and $150 with the blued barrel. Cabelas sells a 3 pack of magazines for $60 for it too.

http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=416019

Edited by Zem18

most looking for a 10/22 never really considered the 77/22 until a poster put it in my head lol.......Most likely going to go with the 10/22 and I think a ruger as I do love the one I have. I am just looking for one that I can beat on and not worry about. Still deciding if I want to put a scope on or leave it with iron sites.

• Like 1