300 win mag

Cory

More than enough, more recoil and muzzle blast too.  But, more than capable of taking deer if you can shoot it accurately.

Would I advise a new deer hunter to use one?  No.  Would I tell someone who uses one not to?  No.  It's a legal deer hunting implement.  Your choice.

• Like 2

What's everyone's opinion on them for deer hunting? Too much gun or no?

What other CF rifles do you have?  If you don't have any others it's a poor way to start off...........

I have a few different CF rifles to choose from and will use a 300WSM once in awhile for a change.  I like 150-165gr bullets 'cause 180's kick me enough to take the fun out of it. :)

image_zps288115fd.jpg

It'll even work on coyote.............

IMG_6296_zpsbe89d4c8.jpg

Let us know what you decide!

Edited by Lawdwaz

300Wby Mag is my always go to. Will get the job done from 0 to 500 plus yards if the shooter is up to the task. Close shoulder shots will leave you with lots of trim meat and will see to it that you never track a deer again.

I love me Wby mags. My 7mm wby mag is my fav.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

300Wby Mag is my always go to. Will get the job done from 0 to 500 plus yards if the shooter is up to the task. Close shoulder shots will leave you with lots of trim meat and will see to it that you never track a deer again.

Which is exactly why I am in the current market for a 300wby mag Mark V ultra lightweight. With the 300wby mag can take just about anything on the continent. From deer to Alaskan Grizzley

You Can't Beat My Meat!

• Like 2

Which is exactly why I am in the current market for a 300wby mag Mark V ultra lightweight. With the 300wby mag can take just about anything on the continent. From deer to Alaskan Grizzley

You Can't Beat My Meat!

I just have the black Vanguard 3 shot bolt. Have had it 10 plus years now. Not pretty thats for sure, Its a tool and has been used as much but still gets the job done. First shot out of it broke my shooting glasses. Now after some muzzle work it kicks like my little 20 gauge slug gun but man it is unreal loud and i always try to put my ipod headphones/Tunes on before i pull the trigger. She will ring you ears at times.

• Like 1

my dad's got one that we've used a bit on anything from varmints to moose.  ammo is expensive though and it just isn't needed.  anchored deer 400+ yards out but it isn't very forgiving if you process your own deer.  recoil is noticeably more, but for the previous reasons it's never the first gun to be picked up.  old win model 70 too.

It is a Blast to shoot.  Only large bore rifle i own. Only one i will ever need.  The noise may not bother others and getting older does suck.

One of my hunting buddies, whom I affectionately call Fungus Face, uses his .300 Win Mag for everything.

Works fine for him.

Of course, he's an excellent rifle shot, dumb as a stump and as recoil proof as a tractor tire.

I load ammo for him and I worked up loads for his M70 .300 mag alongside my Ruger M77 .338 mag.

Both rifles beat me up, but the  .300's recoil was faster, sharper and more punishing than my .338.

I ended up selling the .338 and getting a 9.3 x 62. It handles heavier bullets and you know when it goes off, but the recoil is more of a shove rather than the sharp, viscious kick of the .300 mag.

• Like 1

After years of hunting with a Remington 870 slug gun....I am not sure how anyone can complain about the kick on any rifle I have ever shot. I used to have to beg myself not to pull the gun and anticipate the recoil.

You and me both except mine was the 20ga. version. I took a lot of deer with that gun but my .270 is a lot more fun and way cheaper to shoot.

After years of hunting with a Remington 870 slug gun....I am not sure how anyone can complain about the kick on any rifle I have ever shot. I used to have to beg myself not to pull the gun and anticipate the recoil.

Same thing with a Ithaca mod. 37 ,12 ga.,  feather light, kicks like a frigging mule!   I hardly notice my 30-06 recoil.

No argument from me there.

Shotguns, especially light ones with slugs or heavy shot loads, kick in the same neighborhood, of BIG BORE rifles, we're talking elephant guns here. I never liked shooting them from the bench, either.

I took some of sting out of my slug gun, though, by using a heavy, gas operated auto and standard velocity slugs.  My Rem 1100 all rigged up with scope, cantilever mount and sling weighed in at 10 pounds, same as my M1 Garand. It was not bad to shoot from the bench.

I love me Wby mags. My 7mm wby mag is my fav.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

257 wby mag is my deer pick.

300 win is a great round but I rather have a lighter gun in all capacities for whitetails in NY.

I shoot a 300 and 7mm a few times a summer- just not want I take to the stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by gjs4
  • Like 1

The .300 Win mag is a good Alaska round, but the .338 Win mag is better..

The 7mm and 300 mags are excellent for delivering heavy for caliber bullets to medium and big game at long ranges, which is what they were designed for.

The ,257 WB mag is an excellent medium game caliber at any practical range...However, so is the 25-06, the various .270s, and perhaps two dozen other chamberings,  most of which burn considerably less powder and nearly all of which feature much less expensive factory ammo.

• Like 1