Buying Ammo

It was my understanding that if you wanted to purchase ammunition and lived in NYS it would have to be shipped to a FFL.  I spoke with Sportsman Guide and they told me that they cannot ship ammo in NYS even to a FFL.  Anyone have a similar experience?   

It isn't that they can't, they just won't.

Proud supporters of the 2nd amendment!

• Like 2

As far as I know the portion of the Safe Act that says no online sales still stands. There has been no formal repeal but since their are many aspects that the state isn't prepared to enforce or handle there was a "wink wink, nod nod, we a holding off on that part". I am sure there are sellers that would just a soon not get involved if the area is gray. 

• Like 1

If you have friends or family in New Jersey you can have it shipped there and when you visit can pick it up. Even if you buy it from Sportsmans Guide. Have had same problem got e-mail from sportsmans Guide saying they will no longer ship on line orders to NY.  Thanks Mario!!

It isn't that they can't, they just won't.

Proud supporters of the 2nd amendment!

If you go onto any major retailers site you can buy it online and pick it up in their store. They don't need an FFL. They need a seller of Ammunition certificate which is free if you have a tax id. There are services out there where they will buy the ammo for you and you can pick it up from them for a small fee. A lot of sites though just don't want to deal with the hassle or are boycotting NYS so they won't ship it to anywhere in NYS. There are still great deals to be had on the internet you just can't get it shipped to your home. The point was that all ammo purchases were to be done in person because you were going to need a background check. That never happened but he'll never amend that law. 

• Like 1

all the points have pretty much been said.  many retailers won't ship to NY unless you talk to a customer service warm body and have an FFL shop to send it to or one of their retail locaitons.  straight up ordering ammo online is a no go that still stands with the SAFE Act.  grey area is the intent that you'd have a background check done but NYS will never get the system up and running to support it.  meanwhile it's BS recommendations that the FFL can call you in to NICS but don't know how that really works.  right now I don't think it says the FFL can't just hand over the ammo to you without doing a check on you.

all the points have pretty much been said.  many retailers won't ship to NY unless you talk to a customer service warm body and have an FFL shop to send it to or one of their retail locaitons.  straight up ordering ammo online is a no go that still stands with the SAFE Act.  grey area is the intent that you'd have a background check done but NYS will never get the system up and running to support it.  meanwhile it's BS recommendations that the FFL can call you in to NICS but don't know how that really works.  right now I don't think it says the FFL can't just hand over the ammo to you without doing a check on you.

Actually Palmetto requires the order to be placed on website not thru customer service , i was surprised 

right now I don't think it says the FFL can't just hand over the ammo to you without doing a check on you.

No background check needed. I don't do them and wouldn't buy from anyone that said they were going to. As I understand it they actually can't. The reason that never went into effect is because the feds told Cuomo they wouldn't do them. they didn't have the man power to handle that kind of load nor the funds to support it. Cuomo then tasked it to the state police but they don't have the man power or system to do it. He was never able to get the funding for them to create the system or staff it. I read somewhere that he has agreed it will never be implemented and stopped pushing it. But until the law is amended you still have to pick it up in person which is pointless because they don't care who you are.

• Like 1

Most online ammo dealers  want nothing to do with shipping ammo to Cuomostan. I think a few will, but you have to look hard for them. Gander Mountain will accept ammo shipped from their own website only, but their selection isn't the stinks.

Most online ammo dealers  want nothing to do with shipping ammo to Cuomostan. I think a few will, but you have to look hard for them. Gander Mountain will accept ammo shipped from their own website only, but their selection isn't the stinks.

Agreed but there are some that will. And honestly I find they have the best deals. 

So I can drive 25 minutes away and buy all the ammo my heart desires at Walmart, however I cannot have a box of 20 or 50 shipped to a federally licences FFL dealer.  Makes sense....

If you go onto any major retailers site you can buy it online and pick it up in their store. They don't need an FFL. They need a seller of Ammunition certificate which is free if you have a tax id. There are services out there where they will buy the ammo for you and you can pick it up from them for a small fee. A lot of sites though just don't want to deal with the hassle or are boycotting NYS

BigGuyNy There is nothing in the law that says you can't have ammunition shipped to an FFL. It is a choice made by some internet retailers & it is BS.

This is tantamount to propaganda on their part! These are people that SHOULD be doing everything they can to support your rights but instead they are throwing a temper tantrum.

• Like 2

I talked to a "warm body" at one of the discount internet retailers & was just flat out refused. This was for some 20ga Heviwieght 7s for turkey hunting for cripes sake!

Agreed but there are some that will. And honestly I find they have the best deals. 

Yup…I said that I thought there were a few that would..

The dealers that won't,  think they are saying F.U. to New York anti gun laws and Little King Andy, but they are really saying F.U. to New York gun owners…. Way to show that you have a pair and support fellow gun owners and prior customers…. 

Yup…I said that I thought there were a few that would..

The dealers that won't,  think they are saying F.U. to New York anti gun laws and Little King Andy, but they are really saying F.U. to New York gun owners…. Way to show that you have a pair and support fellow gun owners and prior customers…. 

They're corporations only interested in the profits. They don't give a rat's a$$ about you or your rights.

Simple solution, get in car, drive to store and buy all the ammo you want, problem solved, now there's one less thing to hate the government about.

I sorry but I don't agree with you.  To just accept it without questioning it is exactly what the government wants.  I am all for following the law, however when the law is ridiculous and is in place to do nothing more that harass gun owners I can't simply just go along with it.  I don't do sheeple.

Edited by BigGuyNY
  • Like 3

If you go onto any major retailers site you can buy it online and pick it up in their store. 

You sure about that. Wal-Mart's online ammo section says available only in stores. Last week when I was looking to see if Dicks had a specific cartridge for my rifle I hit the site and found that they now have a "come into the store for details" with their ammo, all of it.  When you click on any ammo it gives you a blank page.

I like going to local gun shops for some ammo, gives me a reason to browse and see what's in the used gun area.

I'm no expert, and have put very little effort into the search, but most of the shops/sellers I have seen are pretty much only interested in handling bulk ammo transactions for customers....not very friendly to the one or two box buyers.

The mom and pop shops?