NY is too soft

outdoorstom

I find it very disheartening when I read these reports with the laughable fines imposed. Why can't NY be more like other states when it comes to serious violations like poaching? Certainly thousands of dollars in fines, confiscating weapons and vehicles, and loss of hunting privileges for a few seasons would be more of a deterrent than what is done now.

DEC lists conservation law violators in St. Lawrence County

Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 11:45 am

The state Department of Environmental Conservation Region 6 office has released the following list of violations of conservation law and court action:

• Donald L. Maroney, 54, Butternut Ridge Rd. Canton, charged 11/27/15 Town of Clare, Place Salt on Lands Inhabited by Deer. 12/10/15 $25 fine, $75 surcharge, Judge Camp

• James F. Barse, 40, St. Rt. 56 Raymondville, charged 8/21/13 Town of Norfolk, Unlawful Open Burn. 1/5/16, $50 $2.50, Judge Grubee

• Connor J. Hoben, 20, Clyde Allen Dr., St. Albans, Vt. Charged 11/27/15, Town of Clare, Hunt Big Game over Pre-established Bait Pile. 11/27/15 $50 $2.50 Judge Camp

• Edwin M. Baxter,65, Benson Mines Rd., Star Lake, charged 11/29/15, Town of Clifton Unlawful Body Gripping Set on Land. 12/23/15 $25 $75, Judge Friden

• James C. Baker, 42, Furnace St., Norfolk, charged 8/29/15 Town of Norfolk, Unlawful Open Burn. 9/23/15 $50, $2.50, Judge Grubee

• John C. Kingrey II, 24, Fordham Hill Rd., Hermon, charged 9/25/15 Town of Russell, Hunt Deer without Big Game License, Possess Loaded Firearm in a Motor Vehicle, Take Deer with Aid of Artificial Light, Take Deer during Closed Season. 11/16/15 $350, $10 Judge Friot

• Philip A. Kavanagh, 57, Hollingsworth, Lane Piercefield, charged 6/19/15 Town of Colton, Fail to Obey DEC Regulation. 10/27/15 $100, $75 Judge Robar.

• Like 2

"• John C. Kingrey II, 24, Fordham Hill Rd., Hermon, charged 9/25/15 Town of Russell, Hunt Deer without Big Game License, Possess Loaded Firearm in a Motor Vehicle, Take Deer with Aid of Artificial Light, Take Deer during Closed Season. 11/16/15 $350, $10 Judge Friot"

Wow...  You can have your car impounded for less.

$350 for jacking a deer at night??! I may go right now, and tie it in with the beer thread. Seriously that is just stupid, should be $1,500 and you get your car back when it's paid

Be sure to make a stop in the Bourbon thread too!

• Like 1

it's funny when you think about it. Typically liberal states are heavy on fines and enforcement. Almost 10 years in EHS and I can tell you many stories. Obama even came out and slashed OSHA's budget and insisted they enforce and fine more to make up for it.

Politics aside, in MS it's basically $1k+ for any game violation. The issue we have is actually getting a warden to come out and do it.

it's funny when you think about it. Typically liberal states are heavy on fines and enforcement. Almost 10 years in EHS and I can tell you many stories. Obama even came out and slashed OSHA's budget and insisted they enforce and fine more to make up for it.

Politics aside, in MS it's basically $1k+ for any game violation. The issue we have is actually getting a warden to come out and do it.

Solves itself: heavier fines pay for more wardens

Does anyone know if the fines are set by state statute? I feel a letter brewing...

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

The fines go by town/county not the state.I would think myself this should be state statute however some towns are and have not got the resources money to pay for crimes at the same amount as the more wealthy areas.

That is only one county. Where can we see the info for the rest of the counties? I did a few searches and came up empty. I agree the judges in ST. Law do seem to be lenient for what most consider major violations.

Check out " New York Outdoor News " . They have several violations posted from different counties . 

It makes no mention if these are first time offenders or not, which I think would affect the fine/sentence imposed. Also age is often a factor as young people do stupid things which can affect their future hunting.

BUT LISTEN GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT! REPUBLICANS CUT OSHA'S BUDGET NOT OBAMA.

Washington – OSHA faces a 5 percent budget cut as part of an appropriations bill approved June 23 by a Senate subcommittee.

The Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies Subcommittee is proposing to reduce OSHA’s budget, currently at $552.8 million, to $524 million in fiscal year 2016.

The Senate subcommittee’s proposed cuts come a week after its House counterpart approved a budget that would reduce OSHA’s FY 2016 funding by 3 percent. The Senate Appropriations Committee will consider the full $153.2 billion appropriations bill on June 25.

Such spending reductions can have negative repercussions for workers, committee Democrats warn. “This would reduce OSHA’s ability to enforce the Occupational Safety and Health Act, resulting in thousands of fewer investigations of potential workplace health and safety issues affecting tens of thousands of workers,” a press release from the minority party states.

http://www.safetyandhealthmagazine.com/articles/12557-senate-subcommittee-approves-osha-budget-cuts

I wonder how many of these charges were plea-bargained, down, most courts are just concerned with collecting the fines in the fastest easiest way possible. And besides that, I know this will offend most of you (but what else would you all expect lol)but I'm willing to bet that the courts don't see these crimes as being serious offenses, as the fines imposed show.

The fines go by town/county not the state.I would think myself this should be state statute however some towns are and have not got the resources money to pay for crimes at the same amount as the more wealthy areas.

I don't think the economic status of any particular area should even come into play. If anything, it seems huge fines would be even more of a deterrent for these areas.

I don't think the economic status of any particular area should even come into play. If anything, it seems huge fines would be even more of a deterrent for these areas.

I agree however this is the great State of NY.The economic status does play a huge part.Fines for these actions should be the same amount across the state.

Thanks for the info, Dom.

I thought about what I'll term the 'relative' factor after I posted last night.  That is, one area's ability to pay out $300 is relative to another area's ability to pay, for the hypothetical example's sake, $800.  And if the fines are localized, there is probably much leeway in a judge's discretion.

But then I started thinking about all the costs that went in to purchasing the gun (could be a family firearm), the ammunition, the gas to drive to and spotlight the deer, and then to be hunting out of season and without a license, and I'm still thinking that John C. Kingrey II got off easy at $350.  24 is old enough to know that the act is illegal, unethical, and that the plan is to not get caught.  Maybe there's more to the penalty that is unlisted, but at $350 and no apparent forced behavioral correction, such as community service, nor impounding of vehicle used in a criminal act, I'm unsure if it's a disincentive to repeat the act. 

But...  Who knows?  I wasn't in the courtroom.  Could be he's connected...  Could be he's struggling financially...