Newbie looking for info.

buckman4c

Hello all!!

New to HuntingNY but not new to hunting. I've been hunting for 34 years and hope to stay healthy enough for another 34.

I'm a member of Pahunting.com and get tons of valuable information on there for my home State. Exactly the reason I joined

HuntingNY.

Every year I hunt from a cabin in Potter County, Pa for bear and we spend Sunday relaxing in the cabin watching NFL. Well, last year I was up at 5am with "nothing" to do so I did a little research and found that NY allows Sunday hunting. Since the cabin is only 30 minutes or so from Olean, Ny, I've begun looking at spending our Sunday tromping around the woods of Ny instead of sitting on my

butt.

I'm looking for feedback on the current hunting conditions of public land in Catteragaus?(spelling) County. We would be hunting for deer and bear on what is your second day. Public land hunting is something I've always done so I have a certain level of

expectation.

One question I have right now in addition to recent hunting conditions for deer and bear is, Can you "drive" deer and bear in NY? I couldn't find anything that says you can't.

I'm not saying we will be doing drives, that depends on the number of committed hunters we have. Saturday night at bear camp can

cause a hangover or two.

I'm sure you have more than a few Pa hunters coming up your way just as we have Ny hunters coming south. I can understand completely if someone isn't willing to share information. Personally, I believe we all love to hunt and any of you who wish to come south are welcome! I'm more than willing to help you out.

Any help here is appreciated.

Yes you can drive deer in NYS.

I am thinking you will be hunting state/public land, so here's a bit of advice. Don't 'drive' the woods popping off rounds. Use a stick to slap trees and talking/yelling.

Hope you enjoy hunting in NY and welcome. 

Edited by ....rob

Hello all!!

New to HuntingNY but not new to hunting. I've been hunting for 34 years and hope to stay healthy enough for another 34.

I'm a member of Pahunting.com and get tons of valuable information on there for my home State. Exactly the reason I joined

HuntingNY.

Every year I hunt from a cabin in Potter County, Pa for bear and we spend Sunday relaxing in the cabin watching NFL. Well, last year I was up at 5am with "nothing" to do so I did a little research and found that NY allows Sunday hunting. Since the cabin is only 30 minutes or so from Olean, Ny, I've begun looking at spending our Sunday tromping around the woods of Ny instead of sitting on my

butt.

I'm looking for feedback on the current hunting conditions of public land in Catteragaus?(spelling) County. We would be hunting for deer and bear on what is your second day. Public land hunting is something I've always done so I have a certain level of

expectation.

One question I have right now in addition to recent hunting conditions for deer and bear is, Can you "drive" deer and bear in NY? I couldn't find anything that says you can't.

I'm not saying we will be doing drives, that depends on the number of committed hunters we have. Saturday night at bear camp can

cause a hangover or two.

I'm sure you have more than a few Pa hunters coming up your way just as we have Ny hunters coming south. I can understand completely if someone isn't willing to share information. Personally, I believe we all love to hunt and any of you who wish to come south are welcome! I'm more than willing to help you out.

Any help here is appreciated.

From my understanding, no you can't "drive" deer or bear in NYS. But that doesn't mean you can't have buddies hunt in a certain fashion from a controlled, planned out route, with weapons in hand of course.

Just from what I've heard from people of authority. Take it for what it's worth.

And welcome to the forum.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu

I have to disagree with Shawn. Not only is driving deer and bear legal in NY, but at one time it was the the "standard" method of hunting, at least if the southwestern part of NY.

Much of the land was agricultural at that time and landowners would get together parties of 20 or more hunters and drive large areas for deer. In later years, since much of the land has become broken up into smaller parcels for recreational use, driving is not as practical as it once was.

Some public lands have specific regulations, but if there is any regulation against driving deer on public land, I am unaware of it. Welcome to the forum and good luck !

• Like 4

Pretty sure the only requirement is that those involved in the drive must all have valid hunting licences.

Even "tagged out" hunters can participate in drives.

You CAN NOT have your un-licenced wife and kids running around the woods pushing deer for you just as an example.

• Like 1

One thing you should be aware of if you do drive deer/bear or do any other hunting for that matter, is that it is illegal to use walkie talkies, cell phones, etc. to coordinate drives and advise of deer heading your way or locations.

2 years ago, several guys at a nearby camp all got citations (18 total) for telling each other about deer movements and locations while hunting up in the Adirondacks.  The dec officer actual showed us  his Garmin Rhino and the exact locations of the other hunters cited using them.

Welcome and good luck. Just a word of advice if you are going to buy a non resident license it would be foolish to skip opening day. I would devote that weekend to NY and then use it as a Sunday substitute. I would even suggest a little scouting before the opener. Also be aware there is no baiting in NY you can set up over an apple tree or an ag field but you can't bring your own. I don't say this to be offensive but I know they allow it in some parts of Pa.

You would be better off driving 4 hours to another state than 30 minutes across the border to NYS.

We have the most mismanaged deer hunting state in the Whitetail world.  Do not invest your energy into it.  Especially the day after opening day (sunday).  Ha, good luck.  After WW3 breaks out every opening Saturday, you would be hard pressed to find any deer activity on public land the next day.

But hey, if you enjoy counting pumpkins.......have at it!

PS - don't bring your legally registered PA handgun to NY either, that makes you a felon. 

You would be better off driving 4 hours to another state than 30 minutes across the border to NYS.

We have the most mismanaged deer hunting state in the Whitetail world.  Do not invest your energy into it.  Especially the day after opening day (sunday).  Ha, good luck.  After WW3 breaks out every opening Saturday, you would be hard pressed to find any deer activity on public land the next day.

PS - don't bring your legally registered PA handgun to NY either, that makes you a felon. 

southern region 7 is loaded with state land that has very little pressure. I boarder up against a large piece and while there are shots on opening weekend it does not sound like that. After that weekend shots are bout non-existent. 

• Like 1

southern region 7 is loaded with state land that has very little pressure. I boarder up against a large piece and while there are shots on opening weekend it does not sound like that. After that weekend shots are bout non-existent. 

I wouldn't argue your account.  But, if I were choosing to hunt an alternate state other than my own, NY sure as hell wouldn't make the list.  Yes, we have some small pockets of above average deer hunting, but that is not the norm in NYS.

I wouldn't argue your account. But, if I were choosing to hunt an alternate state other than my own, NY sure as hell wouldn't make the list. Yes, we have some small pockets of above average deer hunting, but that is not the norm in NYS.

but it's about the only option to hunt on Sunday if you are hunting PA on Saturday.

And any hunting beats staring at camp walls. Lol

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

We have the most mismanaged deer hunting state in the Whitetail world. Do not invest your energy into it. Especially the day after opening day (sunday). Ha, good luck. After WW3 breaks out every opening Saturday, you would be hard pressed to find any deer activity on public land the next day.

I second this. If I couldn't hunt the opener I'd wait a week. Let things settle down a bit but even then it's tough sledding. The pressure doesn't let up much in NY
  • Like 1

but it's about the only option to hunt on Sunday if you are hunting PA on Saturday.

And any hunting beats staring at camp walls. Lol

lol. Staring at walls is not fun.  I would still rather drive 4 hours to Ohio even if just to hunt one day, then to deal with NYS.

I have to disagree with Shawn. Not only is driving deer and bear legal in NY, but at one time it was the the "standard" method of hunting, at least if the southwestern part of NY.

Much of the land was agricultural at that time and landowners would get together parties of 20 or more hunters and drive large areas for deer. In later years, since much of the land has become broken up into smaller parcels for recreational use, driving is not as practical as it once was.

Some public lands have specific regulations, but if there is any regulation against driving deer on public land, I am unaware of it. Welcome to the forum and good luck !

Dan, I have been known(on rare occasions ) to be wrong, thanks for the correction.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

• Like 1

shawnhu, on 03 Mar 2016 - 5:51 PM, said:

Dan, I have been known(on rare occasions ) to be wrong, thanks for the correction.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

That's Ok, Shawn...I was wrong once myself...<<grin>>..

And she has NEVER let me  forget it !!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your replies. Since my original post I was away soaking in the sun on the golf courses of Myrtle Beach and why I haven't responded. I enjoyed reading your varying responses.

I'll address them best I can:

#1. I enjoy hunting no matter where I can hunt. NY just so happens to have Sunday hunting. Something Pa needs to change. And, I'm in Potter Co. (Pa) at the same time for our bear season when your rifle season starts. With that said, hunting public land in Pa during rifle season is no picnic either but after 34 years of doing so, I have a pretty good idea on how to get it done. I'm not at all discouraged by the "Orange Army". IMO, a hunt on Sunday after the opener will require some pressure to get the game moving anyway. I(we) might as well join the party.

#2. I scout anywhere I hunt whether it's by using the PC to view maps or boots on the ground. I'll be scouting Cattaraugus Co. public land in April for at least a day. I've already pre-scouted by viewing maps. 

#3. I'm glad to hear driving is allowed. Here in Pa, we drive for Bear. It's the best way to get them moving. We also take one day during the second week of deer rifle season for drives. We are a methodical group who "silently" slip through the woods pushing deer or bear by using the wind to our advantage. The only time you will hear us is if we get into heavy cover where safety is priority number one. Then it's an occasional hoot or holler so we can locate one another and stay in line. Drives often benefit other hunters as well. Inevitably, every year stand hunters not in our group shoot deer we push out of the drives. (Perfect example): The last buck I shot was while we were setting up a drive. I was a stander and while walking in to my spot a group of Amish came through doing a drive. They walked past us (standers) and continued toward our drivers. They were no sooner out of sight when a half rack six point came slipping back through and I dropped him. Our drivers then came through and pushed some doe past another stander who killed one. Those two drives in opposite directions had deer running all over the place. Not the safest thing in the world but if everyone is mindful of their safety, there aren't any issues.

#4. I'm glad someone brought it up. Baiting is only allowed in our special regulation areas (around Philly and Pitt). We had not intentions of baiting but I'm glad someone let us know it's illegal. As well as the communication law, we also have that in Pa. Both are non-issues for our group.

Again thanks for the feedback.

Edited by buckman4c
  • Like 1