Arrested for Running over Dec Officer with ATV

Vince1

Prison, One less POS on state land...... The charge is too harsh-- , given me a an effin brake. Send his arse away make the world a better place. He can go work in a factory in china when he gets out...... Imagine if the little turd doesnt go to prison and knocks up some slutomatic. More Lillte POSs running around. Put the trash were it belongs. 16 is a great age to get em put away before they breed more garbage..... Put him away tlll his winky dont work...

Wow....

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Youth often equals stupid. I have experienced trespassing with quads and trucks here. I have witnessed ATV use in NYS wilderness areas (including a mile long cut ATV trail). I think I can go out on a limb and say a lot of off-roaders have their share of stupid too. Some have little respect for property or the law.

I have always thought that a good punishment for illegal use of vehicles on protected land would be to confiscate the machine and sell it. Use the proceeds for habitat improvement or restoration. Every machine. Every time.

The idiot kid still needs to be punished for the assault. It would seem something could be done with him that might teach him and would benefit society. Prison costs us a lot and might turn him into a hardened criminal .

I get that he hurt the officer and as i said he is a pretty cool eco and didnt deserve that. Now if we are looking at young adults with a history thats differnt.

My take is the state should attempt to rehab and educate prior to incarceration especially when there is a solid support network for youthful offenders

Edited by Vince1

I get that he hurt the officer and as i said he is a pretty cool eco and didnt deserve that. Now if we are looking at young adults with a history thats differnt.

My take is the state should attempt to rehab and educate prior to incarceration especially when there is a solid support network for youthful offenders

where do you draw the line? what offenses get the pass?

Just put him back in time out, it works so well!  Eventually they will all be in time out, called jail. 

Some of these comments make me laugh.  You people act like you never did any wrong as a kid and no kid should ever make a mistake.  Granted this was beyond a little mistake but he is still a kid!

Let the one who is without any flaws chime in on how harsh the punishment should be!

Speedy recovery to officer Travis McNamara! 

Thanks for protecting our lands.

• Like 1

I would hope he gets a little time. If not, the best that can come of this is that the fear of time and the cost if getting out of it is enough that he doesn't repeat such acts. The other two should learn the lesson as well. Hopefully this story gets told to those in your family. You may think your kids wouldn't go to that extreme but the added knowledge of this story might be echoed in conversations with their peers.

Just put him back in time out, it works so well! Eventually they will all be in time out, called jail.

Some of these comments make me laugh. You people act like you never did any wrong as a kid and no kid should ever make a mistake. Granted this was beyond a little mistake but he is still a kid!

Let the one who is without any flaws chime in on how harsh the punishment should be!

Speedy recovery to officer Travis McNamara!

I'm sure we all did wrong growing up. But I can't recall a case where I ran from the law, and injured anyone. I can't recall when breaking the law, I didn't have to pay for it. If you do the crime, be ready to do the time.

where do you draw the line? what offenses get the pass?

Any crime were the person shows perversion or a basic disregard for life. But im no judge and its not about what crimes get a pass.

Its a choice between ruining the life of someone who in a few years will mature to be a productive citizen or helping put him on the path to worse crimes.

I was taught to help not hurt. If a person is beyond help they will shoot themselves in the foot by saying screw the se ond chance.

Just put him back in time out, it works so well!  Eventually they will all be in time out, called jail. 

Some of these comments make me laugh.  You people act like you never did any wrong as a kid and no kid should ever make a mistake.  Granted this was beyond a little mistake but he is still a kid!

Let the one who is without any flaws chime in on how harsh the punishment should be!

We must have vastly different childhoods. I never committed a felony. How many did you commit?

• Like 1

I'm sure we all did wrong growing up. But I can't recall a case where I ran from the law, and injured anyone. I can't recall when breaking the law, I didn't have to pay for it. If you do the crime, be ready to do the time.

And this thinking is wby the us is leading the world in incarcefations and falling behijd in education.

One bad choice shouldnt ruin ur life. And more often leads the revolving door society we have now.

Take an idiot and force him to learn as oppesed to for in him to rot in jail and u just created a taxpayer as o0possed to a tax leech

Any crime were the person shows perversion or a basic disregard for life. But im no judge and its not about what crimes get a pass.

Its a choice between ruining the life of someone who in a few years will MAY mature to be a productive citizen or helping put him on the path to worse crimes.

I was taught to help not hurt. If a person is beyond help they will shoot themselves in the foot by saying screw the second chance.

I fixed that for you. I can't be as certain as you that a kid, without the proper supervision or parental direction, knows that running from the cops isn't a good idea, will have somehow develop them at this stage and become a productive citizen. I certainly don't think it will do any good to toss him in with the hardened criminals but I don't think a reduction in sentence and little time in county for a misdemeanor, community service and probation would be a bad thing. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

And this thinking is wby the us is leading the world in incarcefations and falling behijd in education.

One bad choice shouldnt ruin ur life. And more often leads the revolving door society we have now.

Take an idiot and force him to learn as oppesed to for in him to rot in jail and u just created a taxpayer as o0possed to a tax leech

Vince, you know for a fact that THE reason why the US is leading in incarcerations is BECAUSE we try to follow the law and enforce it? Are you sure it isn't because of the lax laws and how most can get away with murder, if they had the $ to fight the broken system? How about the deteriorating educational system? Think that might have SOMETHING to do with it? What do you think happens when you slap a criminal on the wrist? You send a message that it's ok and you'll likely get away next time. But only next time, they won't be so lucky to get a bail out.

Vince, what would you do if someone ran over someone close to you, ask him to say he's sorry and call it even? You'd probably be angry, just a little bit right? Maybe it's easier to say what you say when you didn't have to go through surgery as a result of a kid running you over.

These officers are out there risking their lives to protect the woods you hunt, show some respect instead of supporting violence against them.

This reply wasn't meant to be personal, as I enjoy most of your posts, but i can't agree with you on this.

• Like 1

The fact that he was in a truck makes my view alot different....if they were on quads I'd be with Vince and others but being that he was in a 2 ton vehicle he lucky he didn't accidently kill the officer....punishment need to reflect his actions and help him learn....doesn't need to be long jail time....

Personally I'd say maybe a summer worth of weekends in jail say 90 days Fri afternoon thru sun afternoon in jail

Also some community service on the stateland for trash or rut duty fixing what needs fixed...

Hope for a Speedy recovery for the officer involved

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The broken leg of the ECO will take quite a while to heal up. If I was judge/jury that kid and his pals would be workin at his house everyday doin anything that was on a list. If the list gets done go thru the neighborhood workin.

Ol dog on a stray

• Like 1

The difference between a broken leg and a tragic death in this case boils down to pure luck. This could have turned out far worse (as if breaking someone's keg is trivial), and personal injury due to an illegal act cannot be sloughed off with a pat on the wrist. There is not a lot of difference between using a gun, knife, club, ......... or two tons of powered steel.

Certainly we who are comfortably sitting in front of our computers can have the luxury of being benevolent and magnanimous, but what if it were our bones that were so callously smashed? Frankly, I am quite tired of making excuses for the misbehavior of youngsters. Especially misbehavior that causes personal injury to others that are simply doing their job.

Edited by Doc

The truth of the matter is that the final outcome of this event will be decided by how much wealth the family of this teenager has. Too often money which determines the quality of the lawyer you can get determines what level of punishment you receive and for how long. Here on Long Island I have see this happen time and time again. In a world where "Affluenza" was deemed to be a real thing where do the lessons come from? Certainly not from the parents who teach their children that money will solve their problems. In our modern culture the mythological heroes of religion and nationality are replaced by media heroes who when caught acting badly hire lawyers or PR people to help their image, very few ever own up to their miss deeds even fewer apologize for them.

af·flu·en·za

ˌaflo͞oˈenzə/
noun

1. a psychological malaise supposedly affecting wealthy young people, symptoms of which include a lack of motivation, feelings of guilt, and a sense of isolation.

• Like 1

He is 17. Not 12. And like you said, this was beyond a little mistake. Its most likely a Felony. Im not saying lock him up and throw away the key, but this "kid" deserves some jail time. Unfortunately, what he deserves and what he actually gets are two different things.

we see more and more "kids" killing and hurting people theses days with reckless and drunk or drugged driving then ever before.....at what point do you stop slapping them on the wrist and start really punishing them? maybe this kid, if punished properly, will smarten up and his buddies will learn from it as well......but probably not. 

we see more and more "kids" killing and hurting people theses days with reckless and drunk or drugged driving then ever before.....at what point do you stop slapping them on the wrist and start really punishing them? maybe this kid, if punished properly, will smarten up and his buddies will learn from it as well......but probably not.

The rub is that the prisons are overcrowded so some sex offender gets parole to make room. And does this kid now learn more about crime in prison and as an ex-con end up doing more harm later on because he can't get a job?

I don't know the answer, just food for thought.

The rub is that the prisons are overcrowded so some sex offender gets parole to make room. And does this kid now learn more about crime in prison and as an ex-con end up doing more harm later on because he can't get a job?

I don't know the answer, just food for thought.

yeah, I can't imagine prison is a good experience, community service, suspended license, heavy fine...something along those lines, but something to make him realize his mistake and not just a slap on the wrist.

• Like 1