Live from the turkey woods 2016

turkeyfeathers

Well after that earlier excitement it quieted down and we saw nothing but deer romping around the fields for the next hour and a half. At 8:30 Steven wanted to come in and so we packed our gear and headed home. Looking forward to May 7th as our next time out since it just so happens that opening day happens to fall on the same day as Greek Easter Sunday. Oh well...what's another week of waiting going to do to my psyche until then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Had a great morning. Got in a d set up by 525 am. As it got light silouettes of bird showed in the trees all around us. (Good to know roost areas) first bird gobbles 50 yards below us at 545 another 10 minutes goes by and tom gobbles again.

He flies down at 553am filled by 5 other birds. Just to our left at 50 yards , still birds in the trees.. a couple of soft clicks and he comes up struttibg at 40 yards. One bird is still in front of us at 30 yards roosted,it's a hen that pitches out and lands 10 ft from us..the last bird pitches out and lands behind tom.

The whole time the tom stays in strut, a few soft call and leaf scratching and he moves up to 30 yards.. a hen answers 200 yards behind us to out left.. 9 birds on the ground get to bickering jakes gobbling, hens purring and yelping tome keeps strutting back and forth in 10 ft area gobbling when he reaches each end of the line he's strutting..

I keep wondering when the shot will happen ... I can see her gun up and her uncle sitting with her 10 yards in front of me.. at 630 the birds start to move off.. still no shot nor does tom stop answering or drop out of strut,he just moves down the hill to the left with his 8 companions. 715 I call and see a jake peal off and go into strut headed back our way about 80 yards out.. the whole group turn and slowly the tom leads his group back in strut the whole time.. not gobbling but he's not letting the Jake get some where before him.. they dissapear behind a rise 50 yards out..I'm thinking great they will pop back out at 40 and come right in.

Then nothing dead scilence, no spitting and drumming, can't hear them scratching leaves or soft calling.. 10 minutes go by.. and then sounds of something walking....

Damn thats a big fisher!!!

Birds must of headed down hill to avoid it...

We decide to move hoping the birds may of scattered from fisher a little.. down hill 50 yards and 40 yards to our left. Set up again I drop back 25 yards behind the hunter.. l et out a few lost yelps and bird hammers 20 yards in front of hunter just below ridge.. they shift and face the one brush free opening you know it going to pop up in.. a few more yelps bird hammers back again.. the pop up jumps a jake 15 yards to their left ,walking back and forth on a log.. no way to move or shift to get shot.. he gobbles 4 more times jumps off log and drops over ridge in 2 steps. (It's a steep hill) we try 15 more minutes, hunter tells us she's cold so we pack up at 830 and head back for some grub and a quick nap..

• Like 3

On our walk out we paced back off the area tom was strutting in and uncle is mad because he thought it was to far for her guns pattern.. 35.plus yards, apologies to her when it comes up at 30.. she doesn't seem to mind as she had a great time!

• Like 1

Well after that earlier excitement it quieted down and we saw nothing but deer romping around the fields for the next hour and a half. At 8:30 Steven wanted to come in and so we packed our gear and headed home. Looking forward to May 7th as our next time out since it just so happens that opening day happens to fall on the same day as Greek Easter Sunday. Oh well...what's another week of waiting going to do to my psyche until then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Im sure the good food you will be eating will more than make up for the missed hunting!!

• Like 1

Took a drive last evening to take a look at a rototiller and do a little scouting.  Noticed quite a few toms, jakes , and hens on the move in our travels. Some really nice looking turkeys around, of good size. A week ago, hadn't seen a bird, now their popping up all over. Caught  a few gobbles, seen some big foot tracks in the mud, and picked up a feather or two. Gobbles killing the silence sure is enough to get one pumped.

• Like 1

Went out for a scout in the refuge on Saturday , only one bird gobbling , but boy he was a talker , saw him fly down alone a couple hundred yds off , worked his way right past me a 20 yds ... Heard two shots a little ways away n he gobbled at both ... must have gobbled 50 or so times... Just a lonely two year old ... Too bad my permit for that land is second half of season ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Not a peep yet... Light rain , gonna have to give the top of the blind a coat of waterproof spray , little drippy ... Thank god for no wind .... Looks like the rain should be ending here in about an hour n a half ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2