Mid size truck

maytom

I just wish the Chevy would make them last because I love the trucks they have but do not want the headache that comes with the repairs.  Worked for them 13 years and saw how they make them to brake down after the warranty is over.   So after leaving Chevy I purchased a Tacoma in 2003.  With the exception of a u-joint that went bad from towing in salt water and one oxygen sensor I have had great luck with it.  No other repairs except normal wear and tear, tune ups, brakes, belts, bat etc.

They really are built to last!  180,000 Miles plus!  Now it is just for hunting and fishing as its sole purpose. 

Front wheel hubs (4 or 5 IIRC), FULL brake job (3 times) including 4 rotors and pads all the way around, window motors (I got to be real good at them), fuel line, wiper motor etc....

Then the topper...........I was within $500 of making a deal with a stubborn Toyota dealer in Batavia but we couldn't agree on MY number.  I left there and drove home, as I backed into the driveway I looked in the street in front of me and saw a heavy blood trail.  WTH???????     Cracked transfer case.......$800 for towing and repair.  $#%@  N A man!

Granted, some of the wheel bearing hubs and the first brake job were covered by GM but most was on my dime.

The truck I had before my Nissan, was a 2002 GMC. In the 7 years and  I owned it, I did Wheel bearings twice, brake sensors 3 times, U joints twice, drivers side window actuator 3 times passenger side twice(but it wasn't working when I finally traded it in) tie rod ends twice, and I sure Im forgetting a lot of other things. Only one brake sensor job was under warranty, the rest was on me. The truck only had 90k on it when i got rid of it. Had a 99 Silverado before that ,which had the same issues but not as many because I didn't keep it as long. My first new truck was a 1988 Chevy Scottsdale. The transmission  went at a bout 1100 miles out of warranty. The dealership and GM told me to stick it..Should have learned my lesson then.

Bummer to hear the Chevy has gone down hill, I had a 93 full size that I sold with just under 300k on the original drive train, my buddy still drives it ,now with 320 on it . He actually came and picked me up so I could go for a drive to watch it hit 300.

• Like 1

Bummer to hear the Chevy has gone down hill, I had a 93 full size that I sold with just under 300k on the original drive train, my buddy still drives it ,now with 320 on it . He actually came and picked me up so I could go for a drive to watch it hit 300.

I Have had excellent luck with my 02 2500hd with the diesel. I bought it 6 years ago w/186 thousand miles , ~250,000 now. Zero problems and 18.5 mpg average..Luck of the draw or difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4?.. I'm not sure.

I'm really liking the looks of the new canyon/colorado with the diesel.

And this was the issue I had with Chevy is that was common not the exception, it was expected after 50,000 miles to start having major issues.  Who wants to get stuck in some remote area with a major brake down, or any break down for that matter!   I hate this post too because I really love Chevy!  And her I am bashing them.  Arg.  Long time ago! 

The truck I had before my Nissan, was a 2002 GMC. In the 7 years and  I owned it, I did Wheel bearings twice, brake sensors 3 times, U joints twice, drivers side window actuator 3 times passenger side twice(but it wasn't working when I finally traded it in) tie rod ends twice, and I sure Im forgetting a lot of other things. Only one brake sensor job was under warranty, the rest was on me. The truck only had 90k on it when i got rid of it. Had a 99 Silverado before that ,which had the same issues but not as many because I didn't keep it as long. My first new truck was a 1988 Chevy Scottsdale. The transmission  went at a bout 1100 miles out of warranty. The dealership and GM told me to stick it..Should have learned my lesson then.

I'm following this as I was thinking the same two trucks . In my case , I'm 57 and owned cars since I was 18 ,total I've spent is around 80 K . That includes cars for my wife as well , so as one may guess sticker shock is in place also .

Although after paying for 11 years of college it doesn't seem all that much .....

I have an 03 chevy rust bucket that I bought with 113k on it so I can't complain all that much as I have no idea how it was treated. I'm annoyed at the brake lines more than anything. It's not an expensive job at all, but very difficult and not easy. Top it off with everything being rusted and it's really a pain. Shame on them for using that grade metal though. Read online there's an ongoing push to suit their asses over it. Right now I have CEL that's been on for 3 years due to a vac leak somewhere, and the abs kicks on at every slow speed stop. The tires are bad and I'm just hoping to be in a position this fall to get rid of her. But working on buying a new house right now, so we shall see.

It's funny to hear the window regulator stories. I thought that was a fluke for me. Driving into the woods last fall and the temps were in the 40's. I have to stop and get a permit at the public land and the window which had been pretty slow up and down decided it had made its last trip up. It's not fun sitting in a stand knowing you have to fix your truck and not knowing how much of a pain it'll be and that you'll be cold as hell on the highway driving home. Thank god for youtube and an advance down the street. Had that done pretty quickly but wasn't what I wanted to do at 7pm on a Saturday night because rain was coming.

Edited by Belo

• 1 month later...

Have a 2015 Colorado ext cab, 4wd extended cab auto w the 4cyl. Other than the back seat being small (not full 4 door, just suicide doors) I wouldn't change a thing about this truck. RIdes like a car, has gone through everything Ive asked it to- including some hills with 2 adults, 2 kids, 3 quads (two on a trailer)...avg commuter miles with me is 28 and 22 around town and I tend to be on the speedy end of the spectrum.

Nothing good or bad to say on the Toyota....just my chevy experience.

No seat height adjustment in the taco. I read somewhere the Colorado was out accelerated by the Honda Pilot aka New Ridgeline drivetrain.  Probably due to gearing though. The GMC has a better transfer case than the Chevy. Tacoma will be worth more than the GM twins by the time you pay it off. Personally I would wait for the TRD Pro. (short bed only though) GM has a better interior per the reviews, but not in my opinion. I love what they did with the Taco interior. Some widespread issues on new Tacos. See here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/forums/3rd-gen-tacomas-2016.186/

If you just need a bed, consider the new Honda Ridgeline. It has an in bed trunk and a 5 foot wide bed. Not as off road capable though. Pix attached.

I am now taking a serious look at the new Ridgeline......think they come out with the 2017's this month?

• Like 1