Mid size truck

maytom

Trying to decide between these two trucks. Yesterday I took out a 2016 Tacoma for a test drive, crew cab model with the 3.5L-V6. Awesome truck.....loved it. Will be taking out the Colorado next.

Truthfully, seriously leaning with the Tacoma this time around.

colorado_zps5vodwuaf.jpg

20160420_131346_zpsyoklrqjq.jpeg

I've owned 3 Nissan Frontiers and they never gave me an issue. 

My 06 Frontier has about 150k and still going strong. Before this truck I had nothing but GM products. Never had buyers remorse after purchasing the Nissan. My brother has owned Toyota's for quite a few years with no problems either. Best of luck with whatever you choose!

• Like 2

We've had Toyotas for years with no issues, my Tundra has over 150k miles, and I've only had the brakes serviced (besides routine scheduled maintenance). I've been trying not to notice the new Tacomas, because they seem to be trying to convince me to buy one! Definitely a sharp looking truck.

I am a total GM guy so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I think the new Colorado is an awesome looking truck. Love the interior as well. Wish I could get away with one but I need a full size with all the stuff I pull. Boat, camper, ATV's, Snowmobiles.

• Like 1

I have an 08 Nissan Titan, that I bought new. I almost hate to say it, but out of the 3 GM's, 2 Dodge and 2 Fords I have owned over the years, the Nissan is hands down the winner. I didn't have to do a thing to it, besides brakes and maintenance until 90k. Then I had to replace some front end stuff. Tie rod ends and a ball joint. 120k on it and it runs and drives like new. Im starting to think about another Titan, but they' hard to find. New or used. A local dealer has a few of the new turbo diesels $55,000-$63,000. Aaaahhh,,,,NO!

That being said, I think I would lean towards the Tacoma.

• Like 1

No seat height adjustment in the taco. I read somewhere the Colorado was out accelerated by the Honda Pilot aka New Ridgeline drivetrain.  Probably due to gearing though. The GMC has a better transfer case than the Chevy. Tacoma will be worth more than the GM twins by the time you pay it off. Personally I would wait for the TRD Pro. (short bed only though) GM has a better interior per the reviews, but not in my opinion. I love what they did with the Taco interior. Some widespread issues on new Tacos. See here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/forums/3rd-gen-tacomas-2016.186/

If you just need a bed, consider the new Honda Ridgeline. It has an in bed trunk and a 5 foot wide bed. Not as off road capable though. Pix attached.

post-10-0-51148300-1461260490.jpg

post-10-0-72398800-1461260515.jpg

post-10-0-44846800-1461260523.jpg

My mom's taco just had a full frame replacement, and leaf springs. They were both recalled, sounds like they haven't figured out how to keep the frames from rotting out in the rust belt. Those imports have some serious spaghetti frames. If I were going to just drive it as a grocery getter and not haul then it wouldn't be bad. 

How much can the taco haul/tow compared to the rado? Looks about the same long as the taco has the V6.

Edited by chas0218

The Toyota holds it's value better than any other truck sold in America.  Depreciation is something that should not be overlooked when buying any new vehicle.  Besides, only a quality vehicle will earn low depreciation and high resale value.

I hunted in Colorado in 2014 and the outfitters ran Toyotas..

Those things take a lickin' and keep on tickin'...

You would not believe the abuse they put those trucks through, and they keep on running..

We drove those trucks in places I wouldn't dare take a MULE !

I bought my Tacoma new in 2011 for two reasons: 1) Resale 2) Reliability

IIRC it has about 74,000 on it.  All I've done since driving it off the lot is one set of tires, oil (synthetic) changes and some washer solvent.  That's it..............

You just wouldn't believe what I put into my 2002 Silverado in the 9 years I owned it.  Disgusting!

Oh yea, my FIL is a retired GM employee and I could have got a new Silverado for considerably less than what I gave for the Tacoma.  My resale right now is tremendous, thank you.

Today we have three Toyota vehicles in our family. 

(Did I mention the Colorado is a VERY cool looking truck?)

IMG_2340.jpg

You just wouldn't believe what I put into my 2002 Silverado in the 9 years I owned it.  Disgusting!

IMG_2340.jpg

Let me guess……Anti lock brake sensors every other year, window actuators every year, wheel bearings and U joints every 25K just to name a few????

Let me guess……Anti lock brake sensors every other year, window actuators every year, wheel bearings and U joints every 25K just to name a few????

Front wheel hubs (4 or 5 IIRC), FULL brake job (3 times) including 4 rotors and pads all the way around, window motors (I got to be real good at them), fuel line, wiper motor etc....

Then the topper...........I was within $500 of making a deal with a stubborn Toyota dealer in Batavia but we couldn't agree on MY number.  I left there and drove home, as I backed into the driveway I looked in the street in front of me and saw a heavy blood trail.  WTH???????     Cracked transfer case.......$800 for towing and repair.  $#%@  N A man!

Granted, some of the wheel bearing hubs and the first brake job were covered by GM but most was on my dime.

Edited by Lawdwaz

Another vote for the Yota. I'm also looking for a mid sized truck and have been sold on the toyotas. I'm just waiting for VW to buy back my Jetta TDI in the next upcoming months so I can go get a new truck. I don't trust GM as far as I can spit. Their reliability has been terrible and they just can't ever seem to produce anything decent on first year releases. Colorado may be a decent truck but after owning Chevys before I'll stay far away from them. A lot of friends have the tacomas and beat the snot out of them and they keep going. Retarded high resale value and awesome long term reliability are huge selling points for me. I don't care about how much HP or towing capacities for this purchase. But off road capabilities are far superior in the Tacoma and is a big selling point. The aftermarket parts world for tacomas is also very very big.

In another year when the wife's lease on her SUV is up we will be in the market for another heavy duty truck though. Hence why I'm not worried about towing or power when looking for my new ride. Will be tough choice to go back to a cummins or try out a power stroke this time around for the heavy duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently own a 2009 Silverado, like some have mentioned, lot's of issues with my truck over the years. Ball joints, front wheel bearings, driver side window control for passenger front window still doesn't work, Cruze control quit working, XM radio quit working, CD player quit working, EFI/gas pedal assembly had to be replaced, new rotors and brakes, and that dang CEL light comes on every 100 miles or so???? I had more than enough issues with my truck to last me a life time, that's why I am leaning with Toyota this time around.

Now about the Nissan Frontier, what kind of MPG's are they getting with that same 4.0 V6?

I currently own a 2009 Silverado, like some have mentioned, lot's of issues with my truck over the years. Ball joints, front wheel bearings, driver side window control for passenger front window still doesn't work, Cruze control quit working, XM radio quit working, CD player quit working, EFI/gas pedal assembly had to be replaced, new rotors and brakes, and that dang CEL light comes on every 100 miles or so???? I had more than enough issues with my truck to last me a life time, that's why I am leaning with Toyota this time around.

Now about the Nissan Frontier, what kind of MPG's are they getting with that same 4.0 V6?

A few buddies of mine have frontiers...decent trucks....mpgs are mid teens around town and high teens to possibly 20 on the highway maybe a touch more depending on several factors.

I feel your pain on the Chevy. I bought a 2007 new body style with 5 thousand miles on it back in 2008. It was lifted with big tires and fully loaded so when I saw it I had to have it. Big mistake. Drank oil as fast as it did gas. The center console broke away from the floor boards. Tons of electrical issues. 2nd day I had it I was already back at the dealer for just about EVERY light on the dash being lit up. O and did I mention it drank a TON of oil? Top it off with embarrassing power and a tranny that couldn't pick a gear to save its life. Traded that truck off after a little over a month of ownership. Will never own a Chevy again

My 06 Frontier gets 17 to 18mpg around town. Highway trips about 19mpg at 75mph with cruise on. Towing my 18' pro style bass boat 12mpg. And it pulls the boat with no problems at all. Plenty of power and torque 270hp with K&N cold air induction. Off road it's a beast and tows hay wagons, runs logging roads and other farm related activities.

• Like 1

Just wanted to add, my Nissan has been a very good truck. I also would not hesitate to buy a Toyota. But my days of buying GM products are over! Way to many problems with the last two I owned. Never thought I'd say this but I'd buy a Ford before another GM truck!