The "Official" Where are you from, where do you hunt / fish thread.

burmjohn

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm over here in Ontario County. I hunt in my back yard in rather steep, hilly, non agricultural area, that is mostly mature woods on top and dense brush in the valleys. Much of the low land is beginning to get covered with multi-flora rose that creates huge areas of man-killer, impenetrable cover for the deer. I've got a small amount of land (almost 40 acres) but spend most of my hunting time on the state land next-door. I have an ATV that gets me to the top of the hill, which gives me a bit of an edge over other hunters in that I can get up the hill still relatively fresh and then have the energy left to hunt some of the back country that most hunters don't have the stamina to hunt. Climbing that hill is  real heart test ..... lol.

I don't hunt out of the area like I used to do. I used to hunt all over the Naples area, but now I stay pretty close to home. I've been hunting the same area since I was a kid, and probably know that particular stretch of hunting turf better than anyone else because of the thousands of hours I have spent there over the years. Thousands? .... yeah I think thats accurate. Well anyway it's been 55 of my 66 years.

As far as fishing is concerned, we have a whole bunch of options in the area. West River down by Naples supplies the bullhead fishing in the spring. Almost everybody around has stocked ponds that I have access to. We have finger lakes all inside of a short drive. And if I want to get into a bit of a ride, there is always the canal.

Doc

I grew up in northern westchester/putnam counties. Now in Dutchess county. I have 2 small local spots to hunt and my uncle's farm in southwest Albany county. I take my son fishing in the local streams and lake george area when we can make the trip. I just bought a camper trailer, so hopefully I can utilize that for more good times.

I live and use to hunt in Rockland County 3R until most of the area filled up with "McMansions". Hardly any land left that is not posted so I no longer hunt where I live. I have a friend who lives up on Oneida lake near the north/south line. I usually go up for 10 days and hunt this area. I was hunting 6P when hunting south and now it seems that I am spending more time hunting 6K- Camden area.

I live in southern california.  A few hours north from where Live is excellent hunting for blacktail and mule deer.  Where I live it is excellent bird hunting like quail and chuckar and ducks.  I havent gone deer hunting out here cause of the terrain.  It is all hills and cliffs and is very dangerous to go hunting alone.  Also alot of mountain lions that noone is allowed to kill.  If I knew someone out here that was a nut about hunting like I am, I would be all over it.  Lots of state land all over.  It would be nice to get a small group of hunters together, stay out here a couple of weeks camp, scout, and hunt these huge pieces of state land that hold some really nice deer.  It takes alot of hiking up and down hills to get into where the big bucks live.  You need to walk in about 9 or 10 miles from any road and set up camp.  It is basically all spot and stalk with a bow.  With the rifle you are going to be shooting across valleys and canyons.  Sight your gun in for a minimum of 200 yards.

thats sounds pretty awesome. i do know what you mean about hunting alone sometimes, it can be boring and unsafe when your around cliffs and canyons.

but that would be awesome to camp out there for a week or so. . but it sure is alot of walking.. 9-10 miles ??? that is seroious.. wow.

you ever have any run-ins with a mountain lion ??

i know for fact they have been spotted in catskill mountains ..

a farm that i am permitted to coyote hunt on the rancher actually has some photo's of one. from about 100 or so yards away in broad day light.

A6A6

Not in NY, but in cali last year quail hunting me and my buddy Pat were walking in a sandy area in a valley and on the way back to our truck there were huge paw prints over our tracks in the sand.  Never did get to see it,  but there is alot of them.  They are always attacking hikers and people riding their mountain bikes on the trails.  There is also alot of coyotes bobcats bear and fox..  Coyotes you see running aroung in the cities also.

wow.

big paw prints.

he may have been stalking you guys.

thats interesting.

talk about coyote's .in cities....

there were a few in manhattan earlier this year.

imagine that..

coyote's in manhattan , deer and bobcats in staten island and queens  , red tailed hawks in the bronx..

brooklyn recently has had a spike in raccoon and possum incidents. according to a friendly exterminator..

bloomberg may have to open a season..

yaa. right.. just him.

I live in Colonie NY outside of Albany.  Just moved here from Buffalo a few weeks back.  I'm planning on hunting the Pine Bush this fall in bow season and I'm not sure about gun season just yet.  Fishing is pretty restricted here to people without boats so I'll let you know when I actually get out to do some fishing.