Big Snapper (not that kind Pygmy) eats a duck

Just looked it up:

Snapping turtles are known to kill young and adult ducks and geese, but once again the effects are small.

Had no idea. Nor did that duck apparently.

Ya, I'm pretty sure the snapping turtles are responsible for the deer and turkey decline as well :rolleyes:

Ever see video of Northern pike grabbing ducks or muskrats ? Pretty neat.  Bored at work so I'm going to youtube now to watch some

• Like 2

Probably 15 years ago I saw a snapper turtle while duck hunting.  It was in the spillway of this huge pond and was barely moving, at first I didn't know what it was but as I looked closer I saw it was a snapping turtle.  No kidding-the thing was as big or bigger than a man hole cover...............

I guess my heron swallowing a frog doesn't seem quite so impressive anymore,lol

Can't say I know of ANYONE who has a shot of a turtle eating a damn duck!

That's really cool moog.

Definitely not wooly quality but pretty cool. The turtle isn't even in 1/2 of the video because my wife was so intrigued she wasn't paying attention to filming. Lol

Probably 15 years ago I saw a snapper turtle while duck hunting. It was in the spillway of this huge pond and was barely moving, at first I didn't know what it was but as I looked closer I saw it was a snapping turtle. No kidding-the thing was as big or bigger than a man hole cover...............

Can't see the size of the shell here but based on the head, it's gotta be a large kettle of soup.

• Like 1

I was trout fishing once, about a hundred year ago.  I was wading in at one of my favorite spots'. I was getting bites like crazy and caught 3 or 4 fish with in about 20 mins. All off the sudden everything turned off. I figured that I over fished the spot. Then I saw a gianormous snapper swim straight out from me, then back at me then back out…...

Edited by ants

On Irondequoit Bay ? There's some big ones in there. My hunting partner used to trap the Bay , while reaching into runways he's pulled out ones who's bodies were almost the size of garbage can lids.

Their dormant in the cold weather , fortunately for his hand .

• Like 1

On Irondequoit Bay ? There's some big ones in there. My hunting partner used to trap the Bay , while reaching into runways he's pulled out ones who's bodies were almost the size of garbage can lids.

Their dormant in the cold weather , fortunately for his hand .

Yep- southpoint marina.

[quote name="turkeyfeathers"

Ever see video of Northern pike grabbing ducks or muskrats ? Pretty neat. Bored at work so I'm going to youtube now to watch some

My uncle has a duckling lure for Northern. He would try it in small harbors and boat slips.

• Like 1

In past years I have had some experience catching, cleaning, cooking and eating snapping turtles..

The biggest ones we weighed back in those days weighed 30 pounds or a bit more.

That turtle is as big or bigger than any that we ever caught.  If I had to make an educated guess, I'd  say it weighs around 35 pounds.

The only ones that I have seen that were bigger were on Lake Temagami in Ontario when I did a houseboat fishing trip a few years back.. We had been cleaning our fish and throwing the cleanings back into the lake..After a couple of days we had some HUGE snappers coming in to the fish cleanings. I would guess that a couple of them were pushing 40 pounds.

saw one snag a green heron on the chenango one time. i sloshed over and tried to save it but the turtle was huge and did so much damage it was almost dead by the time i got it off it. took it to the shore and put it out of its misery. Always have to watch your stringers at cole park to. had snappers trying to drag my stringer of fish off on more than one occasion.

Thats insane! looks like a huge snapper too!

I watched a snapper take the last full grown goose in a single file line, underwater.. they were swimming across my pond.. The snapper, had the goose by the leg and would not let go.. I watched the other goose take turns trying to hit and thump on the snapper to try and save there friend for about 10 minutes.. he eventually did release and the goose' leg was beyond broken...