1st shot daily pics

stoneam2006

Sliced a vane on my GT hunter xt leaving me 3 arrows. Was going to get 6 more but I found that I had 5 carbon express maxima blue streaks. They are .6 gpi lighter than the GT maybe that's why they were shooting high. But after adjusting the site this is my first shot at 60 yards. They pentatrate better than the GT's. The CE are 350 spine and the GT's  were 340, not sure if that makes much of a difference either. Just happy with the results.20160914_132326.jpg

I'm on the money now at reasonable hunting distances, but still trying to get tighter groupings just for fun.

How do you guys who get crazy-tight groups have your peep sight set up?

When I first started out, I was using a fairly small peep and centering the pin within it. The benefit of this is that even if the peep is twisted, there is not a ton of light between the pin and the peep, so it's still easy to center it. Shoot further = hold pin over target but now hold peep over that lower pin.

But then I learned a lot of people use a peep big enough to center the entire housing, so that the housing is always centered within the peep. To shoot further, pin on target but continue to center the housing.

I think the second approach is superior and it's what I've been using. The target is not hidden by the small peep, and unless in method one the peep is REALLY small, it can be very hard to precisely center it, plus time consuming. But, the problem is this doesn't work at all if the peep twists even a little; accuracy goes down the window (I suspect). As such I've been using peep tubing. I know a lot of people say not to, but a few diehards still like it. Mine breaks of course at bad times (like today at the range), but when it works it's awesome and frankly I plan on still using it. My peep is only just big enough to see the entire pin housing and it lets me align with high confidence.

Any other ideas? I've looked at metal d-loops to help align an un-tubed peep but a lot of people think these cause extra wear on the string (plus noise/weight concerns).

Edited by Core

25 minutes ago, Core said:

I'm on the money now at reasonable hunting distances, but still trying to get tighter groupings just for fun.

How do you guys who get crazy-tight groups have your peep sight set up?

When I first started out, I was using a fairly small peep and centering the pin within it. The benefit of this is that even if the peep is twisted, there is not a ton of light between the pin and the peep, so it's still easy to center it. Shoot further = hold pin over target but now hold peep over that lower pin.

But then I learned a lot of people use a peep big enough to center the entire housing, so that the housing is always centered within the peep. To shoot further, pin on target but continue to center the housing.

I think the second approach is superior and it's what I've been using. The target is not hidden by the small peep, and unless in method one the peep is REALLY small, it can be very hard to precisely center it, plus time consuming. But, the problem is this doesn't work at all if the peep twists even a little; accuracy goes down the window (I suspect). As such I've been using peep tubing. I know a lot of people say not to, but a few diehards still like it. Mine breaks of course at bad times (like today at the range), but when it works it's awesome and frankly I plan on still using it. My peep is only just big enough to see the entire pin housing and it lets me align with high confidence.

Any other ideas? I've looked at metal d-loops to help align an un-tubed peep but a lot of people think these cause extra wear on the string (plus noise/weight concerns).

If your peep is twisting after being shot in a bit after install, you probably need new strings.  A good set of strings will hold the peep in exactly the same position for a long time.  I haven't touched mine in 2 years.  I agree that the larger peep centered on the housing with pin on the target is best for hunting.  the bigger the peep, the more light it will allow in under low light conditions and its the peep not the pin that will prevent low light shots (not advocating when or under what conditions to shoot, just sayin)

I was having peep problems...ended up getting string scilencer installed that I can move up and down as strings strech and it twists a little bit....also had a new d loop tied as it wasn't pulling string straight and was rotating...no issues so far that was probably 100 shots ago

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

If your peep is twisting after being shot in a bit after install, you probably need new strings.  A good set of strings will hold the peep in exactly the same position for a long time.  I haven't touched mine in 2 years.  I agree that the larger peep centered on the housing with pin on the target is best for hunting.  the bigger the peep, the more light it will allow in under low light conditions and its the peep not the pin that will prevent low light shots (not advocating when or under what conditions to shoot, just sayin)

I haven't really fiddled with a non-tubed peep since last year, early on. The strings have 2000 arrows (total ball park guess). The ones that came with the bow, but they still look to be in great shape. Now that I have a bow press it may be worth fiddling around with the peep, though, and trying to skip the tube.

Stone is right.  If the d-loop isn't straight, you will twist the string when drawing.  Also, not all strings are created equal.  Lousy strings won't hold their twist well.  Good strings once settled after install (should be only 10-20 shots at most) should hold the peep as installed.  There is some art in straightening the peep once installed.  It should face you at rest and once drawn be in the same position.  A 1/2 twist at the top will rotate the peep more than a 1/2 twist at the bottom of the string for purposes of adjustment.  You can also move individual strands to straighten the peep, but I try to avoid it.  You can also tie the peep in closer at the top or bottom to slightly rotate the peep.  Easiest is to tie in and then adjust by 1/2 twist at top or bottom of the string as needed.

Levi morgan has a good video on how to neatly tie the peep in.  Easy to follow and works well.  I just tried his method with Phade's bow and it worked well.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

Lengthened my draw length another 1/2" today. Can't really say it's related to this, but this is the tightest group I've ever shot at 30 yards (pin sight is off, haven't bothered re-aligning since my peep was adjusted). This is with the "decimator" arrows, which dicks/field and stream had for $30 recently and which are, in fact, $20 for six right now.

I have noticed if I ever get flyers they seem pretty much always to go to the left.

30 yard.JPG

I'm hunting with those arrows this year too. I'm done hunting with my expensive 3D arrows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I tried to get my 60 yard shots in to finally get my new HHA sight totally sighted in, but got interrupted as soon as i set the block target up, walked back and picked up my bow... I never go to shoot that night lol

Ill try again this weekend.. 

20160913_163038.jpg

Gotta hate it when the game gets in the way of practicing to kill it.  "Please move but stop back in a few weeks."  lol

• Like 4

18 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Stone is right.  If the d-loop isn't straight, you will twist the string when drawing.  Also, not all strings are created equal.  Lousy strings won't hold their twist well.  Good strings once settled after install (should be only 10-20 shots at most) should hold the peep as installed.  There is some art in straightening the peep once installed.  It should face you at rest and once drawn be in the same position.  A 1/2 twist at the top will rotate the peep more than a 1/2 twist at the bottom of the string for purposes of adjustment.  You can also move individual strands to straighten the peep, but I try to avoid it.  You can also tie the peep in closer at the top or bottom to slightly rotate the peep.  Easiest is to tie in and then adjust by 1/2 twist at top or bottom of the string as needed.

Levi morgan has a good video on how to neatly tie the peep in.  Easy to follow and works well.  I just tried his method with Phade's bow and it worked well.

for a while I did mine almost the same way but wraps were equal in number from tie-in to peep but both on same side.  I saw that video and having equal wraps on both sides versus all on one side festered in my head.  I broke down and now do it the exact same way he does.  haven't noticed any difference but I'm not worrying about it either.  couple of my bows the peep isn't straight at rest but comes around to the exact alignment once at full draw.  haven't found anyway around it.  someday i'll look into if there's actually a fix.

29 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

for a while I did mine almost the same way but wraps were equal in number from tie-in to peep but both on same side.  I saw that video and having equal wraps on both sides versus all on one side festered in my head.  I broke down and now do it the exact same way he does.  haven't noticed any difference but I'm not worrying about it either.  couple of my bows the peep isn't straight at rest but comes around to the exact alignment once at full draw.  haven't found anyway around it.  someday i'll look into if there's actually a fix.

Moving one or two individual strands may correct that DB, but I hate to separate the strands.

On 7/29/2016 at 9:12 AM, Doewhacker said:

It's addicting to me and offers a challenge I don't feel at 20-30 any more. 

I'm with you I'll throw one down range tonight starting at 60 and see how I do. 20 yards is just a chip shot when you're out to 60. I have 5 pins (out to 60) and have tried 70 but the problem is my back stop I don't like to miss or I'll trash the arrow. You guys will see what I mean when I throw up a picture. 

4 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I'm hunting with those arrows this year too. I'm done hunting with my expensive 3D arrows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to use the carbon express eliminators (made for dicks 4 years ago) then got the gold tip devastators? (again made for dicks) they are the cheapies but still seem to fly nice. I just try to find arrows with similar GPI so I don't end up needing to change my sights.