secure camera questions

So I put a couple of game cams on my new property last week. One on a game trail in the woods which caught the same young doe for a few days and the other on the back of my pond as I saw a lot of tracks and figured I would capture a variety of animals drinking.

Like a trusting guy (idiot) I put the pond camera on an exposed tree, but one that's 500' from the cabin road, down a long driveway, past my cabin and at the back of my pond. I didn't lock it. It's gone.

Lesson learned, I guess. Best security? Is there a universal lock box or do I need specific box for each camera? Box and python cable?

Thanks.

Been there a few times on public land.  I use the python locks and have one lockbox I use as well. Anything that close to the road is more of a target so you have to take precautions.  Then there's the option of setting up a well hidden camera up in a tree pointing at the visible camera to see if you can catch the jerk. Could be time consuming.

Having trouble figuring out how to hide a camera and have it still cover a wide clearing. Would love to have one cover the driveway near the cabin, but unless I put it up high, it's going to be visible. More experimenting I guess.

Do you recommend a lock box as well as a cable or will a cable suffice?

The best and cheapest way to secure your cam is to high mount it.

Lock boxes are expensive, and if someone wants one bad enough, they can get to the camera.

Either make a homemade version, or buy screw in mounts, and mount the cam above line of sight. Some people will take a climbing stick with them, set it and the cam, and then pull the stick, leaving the cam 10' or so. Rarely will it be seen. And if it does, oftentimes it is out of reach unless someone (again) wants it bad enough.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, eagle rider said:

Cam lock boxes are $35 I think and came specific.  A few bolts and a master lock,... all in ~$40 / camera.  Money well spent when you don't loose a camera.  

Lockboxes are not made equal. Many lockboxes have a weakpoint that can be exposed with a simple flathead screwdriver.

• Like 1

for what it is worth....the rangers here put cameras out for all kinds of reasons, monitoring wolverines, etc etc and people doing illegal things end up on the cameras so they shoot the cameras or otherwise destroy the box,

they carry a collapsible ladder and mount them high as phade suggested and that solved the theft destruction etc as most people don't look 10 feet up apparently while they are lugging stolen antler,  fossils, wood, etc.

I adopted the same idea for some hang on stands I tried out in a very easy to see location where tourists play. I  and just carry one section of an extension ladder, I go up the ladder hunt and take the ladder back with me when I leave.

maybe try that?

• Like 1

I guess if they want it badly enough a chainsaw would work as well.

It's my own fault for thinking that I was safe well inside my property. I'll go high and see who I pick up on my driveway.

Is a lockbox with padlock enough or do I need a cable as well? Or is it either/or? If the weak point is the lock what extra security does the cable provide?

Thanks.

Edited by left field
  • Like 1

Be prepared to be cited.

There was a well publicized video of a similar situation using a dye canister - guy was trespassing to get to another property to hunt. Both the landowner and the trespasser were cited.

A lot of times they don't care about the camera to use it or sell it, they simply want to ensure their pic doesn't reach your hands.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, phade said:

Be prepared to be cited.

There was a well publicized video of a similar situation using a dye canister - guy was trespassing to get to another property to hunt. Both the landowner and the trespasser were cited.

A lot of times they don't care about the camera to use it or sell it, they simply want to ensure their pic doesn't reach your hands.

I was kidding. Wasn't an expensive camera ... it's gone ... so it goes.

Hiding a camera Is pretty easy.. don't put it to cover a wide area. Take the trail that leads to the wide feeding area and place the camera back 30 to 40 yards off trail. Not only will you get better pictures as game is closer to lens but you find a better spot for a stand as the best bucks will hang back from a field and enter after dark.. putting your stand back in that distance gives you daylight to make that shot. 

I feel the media showing their cam on huge private  farms on edge of field or fence crossing is not realistic for most of ny where properties are small and there are many neighbors. 

Yes cam on scrape on edge of field is very tempting but find a scrape in a small clearing back in the woods or in an orchard.. don't make your cam an easy target for trespassers or non hunters walking around

Lock boxes , cable locks are only a deterrent . If someone wants the camera bad enough , it will disappear . A friend had one cable locked on a 6" maple . Someone cut the tree and slipped the camera off the stump . Putting them high helps . I have 2 cams in Moultrie lock boxes and a few cable locked . 

• 2 weeks later...

If you think your camera is at legitimate risk I think you should only put $40-50 cameras in that spot. Think about putting additional ones around to monitor it as well and a warning note on each camera warning that after the last camera was stolen you've placed additional hidden ones and that you will be prosecuting if this one is taken. Obviously, that can be a bluff, but I think it would scare some people.

People say put up high and it's a great idea, but you can also put down low in some cases. Hiding in a dead tree's roots or a hollow, something that isn't as obvious as a 5 foot high mass growing off the side of a tree.