Gadgets

Buckmaster7600

The straw is a great idea.  I can relate to it from years ago when I was on a Western mule deer hunt.   I killed one 5 miles from the trail head and I drank several gallons of water from the creek while dragging the carcass back to the truck.  I used purification tablets added to my canteen but the straw would have been nice.  I never got that thirsty hunting in NY though, where the drags are much easier.  My go-to item here would be the small Bible I carry in my pack.   I know for certain it helped me harvest one of my largest-racked whitetails a few years back.     

Edited by wolc123
grammer

Thanks I got a chuckle out of that, but I've had a few gin and tonics watching St .Louis school the Cubs....

i always carry 365 , a knife, small light and a bandanna along with normal phone , wallet, keys .

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

The straw is a great idea.  I can relate to it from years ago when I was on a Western mule deer hunt.   I killed one 5 miles from the trail head and I drank several gallons of water from the creek while dragging the carcass back to the truck.  I used purification tablets added to my canteen but the straw would have been nice.  I never got that thirsty hunting in NY though, where the drags are much easier.  My go-to item here would be the small Bible I carry in my pack.   I know for certain it helped me harvest one of my largest-racked whitetails a few years back.     

? Did you throw the book out of the stand to distract him and then get the shot ?

• Like 1

? Did you throw the book out of the stand to distract him and then get the shot ?

No Jesus rose from the book and guided his arrow, and then he watch as Jesus carried the deers soul up to heaven!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

How can a Bible help get you a deer:

I had killed a large button buck early in the morning on opening day of gun season (those are the best eating).  A good friend killed another, almost identical one that morning and had called my wife asking if she wanted it.  These are her favorite to eat, so of course she said yes.  Now, with plenty of butchering to do and well stocked with top-quality venison, I was not overly excited about the afternoon hunt.  The woods behind the house had sounded like WWIII that morning with all the shots (only one was mine), so after hanging the second BB in the garage, I grabbed my Bible and headed for my stand across the road, hopefully to spend some quite "reading time" until sunset.  It was still opening day after all, and I still had my buck tag.

It was a very warm afternoon, and the hours were ticking away as I sat up in a stand in a pine tree above a little patch of brush.   Not much activity, other than a few squirrels and another hunter passing by at the far edge of the woods, about a hundred yards away.    I am anal about the sunrise/sunset times, never loading my gun until sunrise and unloading it at sunset per the times printed in the paper for the date.

With 5 minutes of legal daylight remaining, for a reason which soon became very clear, the Bible I was reading slipped out of my hands, falling to the forrest floor below.   Had I not already had 2 deer hanging in my garage, I surely would have stayed up in that stand for the final minutes.  I decided to pack it in early however, but I did break a cardinal safety rule and left my gun loaded as I carefully climbed down the tree. 

As I reached for the Bible, with just 3 minutes of daylight remaining, a flock of turkeys descended right on my position in the patch of brush.   There were birds less than 5 yards from me.   They surely would not have landed there, had I still been up that tree in my blaze orange cammo.   Suddenly a wide rack, head and neck appeared from behind a bush at about 10 yards.  I quickly raised my gun, centered the crosshairs on the base of the neck, and flopped that old boy down right there with two minutes to go. You can see a picture of the european-mount in the taxidermy section in the DIY european mount thread.  I would post the picture again, but some folks here get offended by multiple posts of the same picture.

In those woods, I had often seen deer and turkeys together.  No doubt that old buck felt safe with the birds due to their superior eyesight, and I am sure they tolerated him thanks to the power of his nose.   Because the Bible fell when it did, his line of turkeys got breached this time, giving him the surprise of his life and effectively ending it.  That was not the first nor the last time that JC showed His cards while helping me get a deer.  The fact is, I never got any on my own.        

Wouldn't one of them little needles that you stick in a nozzle for blowing up footballs and basketballs work for that, assuming the deer was not gutted?   I  also would never delay gutting a deer, but I think I will give one a try on a gutted one for skinning the neck, forward of the shoulder, and the rump area.  Those areas always take me the longest to skin using the conventional method.     

I will give it a try and let you know how it works out in a couple months.  Anything that can speed the skinning process a bit would be good, especially with all the deer ticks we are seeing lately.   I saw some on all three South-western NY (town of Centerville) deer that I skinned last fall.  I just picked up an extra air compressor for the garage, so it should be quick and easy.       

I'd buy a life straw if I knew I was going up north or deep out there.  I've even looked at them in the store and almost bought one last time at Cabelas.

used to be a folder similar to a mini-Buck.  with all the gov and state work I can't have that anymore.

...I'd worry about tank condensation and pneumatic oils using the that air skinner.  if the deer's still warm and you've got the write tools it's pretty quick.

Tell ya one sorts gadget of sorts that Id never again deer hunt without. I'm a pretty minimalist guy in the deer woods but a Glens deer handle works wonderfully. A friend talked to me about it for years before he finally just bought me one n it's great n doesn't beat your hand up on drags. Well worth it

Tell ya one sorts gadget of sorts that Id never again deer hunt without. I'm a pretty minimalist guy in the deer woods but a Glens deer handle works wonderfully. A friend talked to me about it for years before he finally just bought me one n it's great n doesn't beat your hand up on drags. Well worth it

My cousin I have the camp with uses one they are nice I just find a nice stick to tie my paracord to but those handles are nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grabbed a knockoff one at Gander a few years ago for like $4, it is a huge help