Gift ideas for a new archer

JimR

So... I am strictly a gun hunter however two of my adult sons are archery hunters. The eldest is just starting this year and has a birthday coming up in a couple of weeks. I am looking for gift ideas in the 100.00 dollar range for a brand new, inexperienced bow hunter. All he has is a bow and some arrows. I understand the importance of practice and had considered range time, however he and his brother do practice at my place. So, what to get him ? He is a total newbie to hunting so no camo clothing, no nothing as of now.

50 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I agree as I will be buying one too...halon xrt7 is one I'm looking at. Right at 100 bucks and has angle compensation too

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nice. I have a simmons one. I won't buy simmons products again based on the last scope they gave me, but this thing has been fine. It was maybe $80-90, but the angle compensation is a nice touch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Safety harness if he is going to hunt from a tree stand.....If hunting from the ground a nice popup blind or chair

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm outa' likes for the day...........LIKE.

The above quote should be the ONLY consideration for the OP's boys.

• Like 1

Safety harness if he is going to hunt from a tree stand.....If hunting from the ground a nice popup blind or chair

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If the kids are using stands and don't have a harness let me know I have over 20 of them in a garbage bag in my basement. No need to spend money on something most people throw away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great thought about the safety harnesses. Those will acquired, if they don't already have them, outside of the Birthday present. Thanks for the reminder on that, I'm a lean against a tree guy, not climb up in it guy !

The harnesses I've seen that come free with a stand are worth exactly what you pay for them. Nothing.......

Dont start them out with junk that'll just frustrate them, buy them a great harness that they'll use because it ISN'T a POS.

By the way, how old are the boys?

Lawdaz, The one with a couple years experience bow hunting and a few years more than that with firearms is 24. The first timer to the woods is 33. The younger one did indeed just buy a self climbing stand that came with a harness. I am unsure of the quality of the harness, I have not seen it, and probably couldn't tell good from bad if I had. I'm going to search for a thread on harness style and quality now.

Edited by JimR

5 hours ago, JimR said:

Lawdaz, The one with a couple years experience bow hunting and a few years more than that with firearms is 24. The first timer to the woods is 33. The younger one did indeed just buy a self climbing stand that came with a harness. I am unsure of the quality of the harness, I have not seen it, and probably couldn't tell good from bad if I had. I'm going to search for a thread on harness style and quality now.

I'm sure it's "safe", it just may be a bit annoying to use. I'm using a free harness currently.

The post above about trail cams is good, too. You probably can't have too many of them.

if they're that new - archery lessons with someone from a recommended bow shop that also bowhunts.  people rarely do this but it'll make them more proficient than most.

i'll agree with the good harness idea.  night and day difference.  you want them to use it 100% of the time.  I'd include a life-line for their favorite stand if you get the harness on sale.

goodie bag full of small things for gear that encourage them to use that make a difference - BCY X-wax, wind checker puff bottle, hand warmers, HS Scent-a-way 2-in-1 body soap and shampoo, trail markers, a cheap red LED head lamp, small relatively cheap led flashlight with white light (better for blood tracking than orange-ish or blue-ish light, I've got a couple Colemans), field points for their arrows.  include a good informational book - like "Strategies for Whitetails", "Whitetails: From Ground to Gun", or "Whitetail Success".

5 hours ago, JimR said:

The free harness is all I use. It can be annoying sometimes but, it works.