LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

1 hour ago, Hang Em High said:

Listen to yourself, your excuses are embarrassing to listen to. Even is my area where deer are as scarce as reports say, I still see does constantly- and the deer that started this discussion was a 6 month old male, so small it will be tagged as a doe. 

Just for your info I am 9 straight years of harvesting a 6-12 point buck on state land, with pressure all around me. Hunting thick forest, no food plot, no private land, and it is no problem for me to harvest a mature buck every year. So no there is no excuse for someone to shoot a deer the size of my Boxer. 

I fought very hard keeping our Country safe as a Ranger, every mass casualty incident I have been in I always saved women and children first, I WILL NEVER encourage a fawn being killed. Take pride in what you harvest, not an adolescent with no chance. 

I look forward to the day NYS instates a 3 point minunum 

please tell us o great one where every year you manage to shoot 6-12 point bucks on state land because there is not very much  of it in  9p to begin with . Compared to other parts of the state 

I know Guys that hunt  on private land that don't even do that .

So we have a slight Coyote problem. I walk in today and see a larger very pretty yellow one. Too far for a shot. My friend sees it, takes a shot and is low. 5 minutes later another comes through, each the size of a Shepard. Now, 40 minutes in and a small one comes through out of range. Should've brought the rifle instead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You mean shotgun with spray? Don't think you can carry rifle during archery deer seasons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Listen to yourself, your excuses are embarrassing to listen to. Even is my area where deer are as scarce as reports say, I still see does constantly- and the deer that started this discussion was a 6 month old male, so small it will be tagged as a doe. 

Just for your info I am 9 straight years of harvesting a 6-12 point buck on state land, with pressure all around me. Hunting thick forest, no food plot, no private land, and it is no problem for me to harvest a mature buck every year. So no there is no excuse for someone to shoot a deer the size of my Boxer. 

I fought very hard keeping our Country safe as a Ranger, every mass casualty incident I have been in I always saved women and children first, I WILL NEVER encourage a fawn being killed. Take pride in what you harvest, not an adolescent with no chance. 

Didn't a few women pass ranger school? If your going to make shit up about yourself at least use something that holds value.

Semper Fi

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

You can carry rifle anytime...yote season opened Oct 1

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That's not 100% correct. If you are bow hunting you are not allowed to possess a firearm of any sort. According to the DEC that is.

• Like 1

You sir, are a disgrace to this country, and to NYS hunters. That's all.

• Like 3

Sorry for slight derail of "live" thread. But this has always confused me 

You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a rifle larger than .22 caliber rimfire afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season. Centerfire rifles smaller than .22 caliber are permitted.

• Like 1

Sorry for slight derail of "live" thread. But this has always confused me 
You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a rifle larger than .22 caliber rimfire afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season. Centerfire rifles smaller than .22 caliber are permitted.

Right so if the county is a rifle county for deer you can use a rifle if not use a shotgun

• Like 1

Dang. Don't think you can hunt them with a rifle/shotgun  during open bow season. .22 rimfire i believe is ok but that's a little under gunned . I may be wrong on this. Law was always difficult for me to understand.  

Shotgun can be used during any deer season.
If you are in a zone which allows rifle for deer then you can use any rifle.
If you're in a shotgun only deer zone then you can only use either rimfire or centerfire calibers smaller than .22

43 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

O I didn't know they were talking while bowhunting

Just wanted to let folks know that just because it's yote, turkey and other seasons, if you are bow hunting for deer, you cannot possess a firearm. 

MY buck just raked up a tree at about 100 yards.  First time seeing him this year out of velvet except for on cam.  I'm shaking from a100yard sighting. What am I gonna  do if he comes close enough for a shot. Uh oh hearing twigs snap gotta go

Edited by Rockspek
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, Rockspek said:

MY buck just raked up a tree at about 100 yards.  First time seeing him this year out of velvet except for on cam.  I'm shaking from a100yard sighting. What am I gonna  do if he comes close enough for a shot. Uh oh hearing twigs snap gotta go

This is why I rarely use my phone to surf the web while hunting. You never know when a deer will show up.

Also, not sure if I was on my phone, I would take the time to type "hearing twigs snap gotta go". LOL

• Like 1

This is why I rarely use my phone to surf the web while hunting. You never know when a deer will show up.
Also, not sure if I was on my phone, I would take the time to type "hearing twigs snap gotta go". LOL

You know how many times I've looked up and had deer around me cost me at least 2 doe...lol I get bored

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Ok I'll only post "live from everywhere else in the world but the woods" from now on. I was just sharing some excitement. Haven't seen him again but there's always tomorrow while I'm "live from work"

• Like 3